Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the middle of swapping the Tbelt on a new to us 08 Pilot. All I have left is to put on the timing covers, ps pump and serp belt.. I started it (with the remote start so I could watch and video) and it runs awesome for about 8 seconds then shuts down and the remote start starts it again. I wound up yanking the negative battery cable on the third cycle. I’m 99.9% sure I got the timing right I used the tension method and the “mark the belt and transfer marks to new belt method”. When I spun the motor twice by hand everything seemed copacetic.... so either the remote start is acting funny because I had the battery disconnected, maybe the crank sensor got too much coolant in it or I turned my wife’s new car into a brick.

I know I should try starting it with the key to rule out the remote start but I’m looking for input from the crowd first.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
I’m in the middle of swapping the Tbelt on a new to us 08 Pilot. All I have left is to put on the timing covers, ps pump and serp belt.. I started it (with the remote start so I could watch and video) and it runs awesome for about 8 seconds then shuts down and the remote start starts it again. I wound up yanking the negative battery cable on the third cycle. I’m 99.9% sure I got the timing right I used the tension method and the “mark the belt and transfer marks to new belt method”. When I spun the motor twice by hand everything seemed copacetic.... so either the remote start is acting funny because I had the battery disconnected, maybe the crank sensor got too much coolant in it or I turned my wife’s new car into a brick.

I know I should try starting it with the key to rule out the remote start but I’m looking for input from the crowd first.

Thanks in advance.
The battery may not be strong enough to keep it running without the alternator.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also thought about that.. pretty new battery though... plus it cranks just fine over and over (it started, ran, died, started ran, died, started, ran, I yanked the battery cable) as a result of the remote start. I think the remote start looks for a crank signal to decide if it’s running so if that signal cuts out killing the motor the remote start will decide to try again. It’s 95 degrees out and I haven’t eaten anything so I’m taking a break and trying to decide what’s next. I will try running jumper cables from my car to it to rule it out though.

When it shuts down it makes an ugly air gush sound which is the most concerning thing. I checked the video and I stopped recording before anything went awry.

I will post the video, again I stopped it far to prematurely.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
I also thought about that.. pretty new battery though... plus it cranks just fine over and over (it started, ran, died, started ran, died, started, ran, I yanked the battery cable) as a result of the remote start. I think the remote start looks for a crank signal to decide if it’s running so if that signal cuts out killing the motor the remote start will decide to try again. It’s 95 degrees out and I haven’t eaten anything so I’m taking a break and trying to decide what’s next. I will try running jumper cables from my car to it to rule it out though.

When it shuts down it makes an ugly air gush sound which is the most concerning thing. I checked the video and I stopped recording before anything went awry.

I will post the video, again I stopped it far to prematurely.

From what I heard, it sounded fine.
The release of air when it's shut off is said to be normal.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man.. I’m gonna go rent Autozone’s code scanner, when I get back I’ll light it off with the key with the scanner plugged in and my car running jumper cables. I just don’t want to button it up if something is wrong.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
Thanks man.. I’m gonna go rent Autozone’s code scanner, when I get back I’ll light it off with the key with the scanner plugged in and my car running jumper cables. I just don’t want to button it up if something is wrong.
If you double checked timing marks and what I heard on the video, I wouldn't be afraid to put it all back together, but I guess you can't be to careful. 👍

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
The battery may not be strong enough to keep it running without the alternator.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^

It takes a lot of juice to run a modern vehicle, and while vehicles "run" on the battery, they run on a battery that is constantly being recharged. This pass through system is what helps maintain the battery over the long run. GM at one time had some vehicles that ran on the alternator, meaning you could jump it without a battery and it would stay running and if the alternator failed you were dead in the water right there and then. They however had issues with the system and GM now is like everyone else.

The computer system monitors the charging system. It may well be that the vehicle is shutting itself off as it is not detecting any charge going to the battery. These computers with wheels that we pretty much all drive these days are a far cry from the vehicles we used to drive 20 or 30 years ago.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty funny really.. I drive an 06 Chevy HHR, don’t laugh at me it cost 600$. I lost the Serp belt a few weeks ago but because I know the water pump is driven off the timing chain I just drove it home.. on the battery.. for future reference boys and girls I guess if you lose your Serp belt on a Pilot you’re walking.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Pretty funny really.. I drive an 06 Chevy HHR, don’t laugh at me it cost 600$. I lost the Serp belt a few weeks ago but because I know the water pump is driven off the timing chain I just drove it home.. on the battery.. for future reference boys and girls I guess if you lose your Serp belt on a Pilot you’re walking.
But you will have enough power to get it to the side of the road if you think fast.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife drives the pilot. I was going to reuse the old Serp belt but If she throws the belt she may divorce me.. Actually yeah I’ll just reuse the old one. Hahahahahaahahaaaa

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
My wife drives the pilot. I was going to reuse the old Serp belt but If she throws the belt she may divorce me.. Actually yeah I’ll just reuse the old one. Hahahahahaahahaaaa
Ah, the things we do for love.

Get a new one. <-- I'll let you decide what that means. :)

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update. Buttoned up the car and went to go on a test drive.. used the remote start and the same thing happened, died within maybe 8 seconds. Decided I would address the remote start later, started it with the key and went to drive..forgot the parking brake was on... that’s what was killing the remote start. It’s a pretty cutrate remote since there is no hood switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts