Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the maximum speed for your Pilot?
I tried today and it looked like 105 was the max for my Pilot fro now.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
oelgin said:
What is the maximum speed for your Pilot?
I tried today and it looked like 105 was the max for my Pilot fro now.
AFAIK, the Pilot has a form of governor and will top out at somewhere around 112. I can't speak form experience - best (or worse) for me was about 80-something!!

:2:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I have done a 100....was testing the vibration problem...which II did not have...

will try exceeding 105 next time I am on a safe road :rolleyes:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Guess I'm getting older and wiser. Low 80's is as fast as my Pilot will ever go.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
It would be my luck that I'd blow the engine or something if I ever tried to max it out. Think I'll tag along with 4603pba and limit it to the 80's.;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Most likely the computer will shut off the gas at about 110 - 112.....the car will then decelerate until a slower speed is reached - like around 105, where the gas will turn back on again. This "dolphin" thing will happen - slow, fast, slow, fast, etc, etc.

I doubt that this happens at a high enough RPM in top gear to create any problems with the engine. You'll hit higher RPM's when passing other cars at 65 MPH when dropping it into the "passing gear" than you would by hitting the speed limiter in 5th.

Drive safe - these are heavy trucks, and brakes fade QUICK at those speeds.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Anyone going out to "test" the limits of their Pilot after reading this thread... please be careful! :eek:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The max speed for me was right around at 110MPH. Someone else in here said that the rev or the speed limiter is set at 109MPH because the tires are rated at 112MPH or so, so that makes sense. The gas cuts off rather abruptly and your car will jerk somewhat and the engine will wail a little protesting the highspeed. Certainly not a pleasant discovery in the middle of the night on a highway.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I'll have to go out to the garage to see what the speed rating on the tires is:

Speed ratings:
(The maximum speed the tire can maintain at its maximum load rating)
Q - 100 mph
R - 106 mph
S - 112 mph
T - 118 mph
U - 124 mph
H - 130 mph
V - 149 mph
W - 168 mph
Z - more than 168 mph

Generally today cars are speed-limited to match the speed rating of the tires fitted as standard equipment.

Odd that the Pilot (well, my "two," anyway) has a 140-mph speedo!

Regards,

Walt

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Max speed?

colorider said:

AFAIK, the Pilot has a form of governor...

[ S N I P P E D ]

That reminds me of the old Arkansas state motto: "Our woman are so fast that we have to put a govenor on them..." :D :D :D

P.S. Yes, I know I've used this one before, but to me, it's a classic!!! :p

Attachments

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Max speed?

kemosabe said:

That reminds me of the old Arkansas state motto: "Our woman are so fast that we have to put a govenor on them..." :D :D :D

P.S. Yes, I know I've used this one before, but to me, it's a classic!!! :p
Hmmm, Clinton in his brunet days. Was it just the presidency that turned him gray???:12:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Max speed?

Ziploc said:

Hmmm, Clinton in his brunet days. Was it just the presidency that turned him gray???:12:
It's dyed. He heard chicks dig older men!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently took a trip of around 450 Kms and drove for about 50% of the time 120Kmh (about 75mph) and 190 Kmh for about 10% of the time. And 40% of the trip was about 150 Kmh.

Please note that 1 mile=1.6 kmh.

Towards the end of the trip I belive that the MRV (Pilot) was running on fumes.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Ordinary_Guy said:

[snip]
Odd that the Pilot (well, my "two," anyway) has a 140-mph speedo!

Regards,

Walt
Your "two"??? Do you have two Pilots?

Speedometers do seem to be very optimistic! The one on my MC goes to 155, but about the fastest it will go is around 135 (indicated). :21:

Just hope we never have to go back to the old 85mph speedo's of the early 80's! What a PITA they were! You had to use the tach to figure out how fast you were REALLY going (no such thing as GPS back then).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
So anybody gonna do a speed test down here in Ft. Lauderdale?

Honestly just be careful while you all are doing your test, I mean I wouldn't want you to get a ticket. Oh and while your at it don't get hurt.:14:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
FLPilot said:
So anybody gonna do a speed test down here in Ft. Lauderdale?

Honestly just be careful while you all are doing your test, I mean I wouldn't want you to get a ticket. Oh and while your at it don't get hurt.:14:
Hey, I've been meaning to ask - are you a 2-wheeler LEO or?

Agree - on your comments about speed! :)
(just pretend you didn't notice my sig line)
:eek:

·
Premium Member
159 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
colorider said:

Hey, I've been meaning to ask - are you a 2-wheeler LEO or?
Well sort of...I work the road on a normal basis in a car (work midnights), then I also do marine patrol with a 19 ft Dusky, and bicycle patrol. So I guess you can say I do the 2 wheeler, just not as fast as you. Hey I got my bike up to 37 MPH once going down hill!

The first time I tried to ride a real motorcycle I almost ran into a mailbox. So if I ever did go for the motor unit they would have to take the training wheels off my little cousins bike and put them on a little motor for me (see below).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts