Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Master key/fob will lock/unlock all doors but will not start car however the valet key will. Car has new battery, fob has new battery. I have reprogramed the key fobs. Any idea what the issue might be?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Immobilizer chip (unrelated to fob for locking/unlocking doors) in your "master" key would be where to look first. Is that "master" the OEM key? Did the little black (looks like a little rectangular magnet) immobilizer chip perhaps fall out when you opened up the fob to change the battery?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Immobilizer chip (unrelated to fob for locking/unlocking doors) in your "master" key would be where to look first. Is that "master" the OEM key? Did the little black (looks like a little rectangular magnet) immobilizer chip perhaps fall out when you opened up the fob to change the battery?
Thank you plplplpl for the suggestion. I don't recall seeing a chip or spare parts afterwards. My original plastic FOB was cracked so I purchased an aftermarket one off of Amazon. Moved the "guts" (the hexagon-ish part that has the panic, lock, and unlock buttons) of the FOB from the OEM to the new one. It was still able to lock, unlock and start the car. The second OEM FOB got cracked (teenagers!) so I did the same thing again purchasing aftermarket FOB and transfer the "guts" again. The two FOBs were able to do the door functions no problem for a time. The car battery was replace and now the two FOBs continue to work the door locks but does not start the car. When attempting to start the car is sounds like it trying to turn over (aka cold engine) but never catches. I don't know the time frame of the battery being replaced and the two keys not working (teenagers again!). The valet key will start the car without delay. My keyring consists of the valet key as well as the FOB so I can lock and unlock with a touch of a button. Wanting to solve the issue, I have watch several YouTube videos, scanned blogs, but nothing that directly sounded like the issue at hand. I called the local Honda dealership, it was mentioned that the FOB be reprogramed and was told that there's no secret "such as tapping on the break pedal and turning the key". I did already try the reprograming of turning key to second spot, hit the lock button, and repeat. It worked because I messed up and the locks no longer worked but do now.
Any other suggestions? I felt that the service provider half listened to the situation since he was talking about reprograming the FOB.
Again, I appreciate you taking the time before to offer suggestions.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Do you still have your OEM keys? Open them up and post pics so we can see if the immobilzer chips are still there. No immobilizer chips means cranking but no start, as you describe.

Fob for locking/unlocking doors is unrelated to your no start problem.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Do you still have your OEM keys? Open them up and post pics so we can see if the immobilzer chips are still there. No immobilizer chips means cranking but no start, as you describe.

Fob for locking/unlocking doors are unrelated to your no start problem.
There need to be a "STICKY" on this forum highlighting that.....

So many times... so many times....

key_c.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts