Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 Honda Pilot w/ approx. 240,000 miles.
Just had to have my rear brake calipers, rotors, and brake pads replaced due to a bad brake master cylinder. The whole issue started about a year ago when I noticed that the cap to my brake fluid reservoir on the top of my master cylinder would not always stay screwed on securely. Could have been a cheap fix right then with a new cap/lid. Instead I forgot about it and over time with the cap not securely tight debris got into the reservoir, then into the master cylinder, and ultimately into the brake fluid lines clogging up the flow of fluid to the rear calipers. This slow and expensive process made the calipers stick and push the brake pads against the rotors. My mechanic realized something was wrong when he tried to bleed the brake lines after replacing the rear calipers, rotors, and pads. After the issue was identified my mechanic had to replace the master cylinder and complete a brake line flush with fresh brake fluid. The whole process with labor and parts cost me around $1000. Lesson learned!
>:)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What exactly was wrong with the cap? This story is so unbelievable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was the brake fluid ever drained and replaced? Were previous brake jobs just push the piston back into the caliper and slap on new pads? At 240K, it's hard to say whether this a failure of the cap, cumulative neglect or just plain old wear.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Tinylo hit it on the head. Time and 240k miles are the cause. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs moisture from the environment. Over time, it deteriorates and also causes corrosion within the system. The repairs described are typical in any hydraulic brake system over 10 years old, especially if neglected.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay, the title was a little dramatic but the issue started in the master cylinder reservoir. The lid that twists onto the top was not securely on the reservoir and over time and dirt road driving I guess, debris worked its way into the reservoir and in turn was sucked into the master cylinder which distributed the dirty brake fluid into the system. I acquired the Pilot 40,000 miles ago and could only find one instance where the brake fluid had been changed in the records that came with the Pilot. Everyone is correct......240K miles is a good life for any auto part and I will probably be changing the front calipers out before long. I am very happy with my Pilot, and plan on taking it another 200K miles even after I buy another car......I will be keeping the Pilot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would screw on but not lock into place and would pop up on one side. It would apparently be secure at times but after driving a while would pop back off.

·
Banned
142 Posts
it would screw on but not lock into place and would pop up on one side. It would apparently be secure at times but after driving a while would pop back off.
Sounds like the cap was cracked.....$5.00 Cap.....$1,000.00 Brake Job.....WOW!....

The cheap comes out expensive.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeppers, and I am usually on top of simple stuff like that but this time it cost me a bundle. The calipers were probably towards the end of their life but I really screwed the pooch on the master cylinder having to be replaced. Live and learn.......right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts