Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an issue a few weeks back where the passenger side map light would not come on. Got a new bulb and still a problem. The root cause turned out to be a bad map light switch. Ordered 2 off Amazon for 10 bucks and got on it after I did my TB tensioner this past weekend.

Tools Required:
flat blade screwdriver to pry off Map light lens
Phillips screwdriver to remove assembly
Replacement switch: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-924-798-Dome-Lamp-Switch/dp/B00FY81BUQ/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Honda|59&Model=Pilot|758&Year=2011|2011&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Start by prying off both map light lenses. The hinge is towards the inside. Pop one end loose, and gently work the other side free. You will see 2 silver phillips screws, one each side. Remove. Open the sunglasses holder and look for 2 black phillips head screws. Remove and you can pull out the assembly starting with the side toward the sunroof. It will drop low enough to disconnect the plug to the map lights. There is a small plastic tab located on the outer edge of where the map light is. Press in and the entire map light assembly will pop out of the frame. Slide the old switch out to the side and slide the new one in. Do not twist or pull. It slides toward the side opening. Snap the map light assembly back in the frame, reconnect the power cable and push the unit back in its opening starting with the edge closest to the front window. Replace all screws, replace lenses by pushing back in to place and test light.

Total process was around 10 minutes with the help of one curious dog. Total cost was 12 for the switches and another couple bucks for a replacement bulb that was not needed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Got to love the cheap easy fixes. I've been putting off buying mine. My driver side was out - like you a new bulb didn't work. Swapped switch with passenger side working switch and then both sides were working. But after a few months the driver side stopped working but the passenger side still works (with old driver side switch). Some kind of voodoo on the driver side I guess. Maybe two new switches will do the trick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts