Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled gas last saturday night and on Sunday morning drove down 40 miles someplace. On my way back from there the Malfunction indicator light came on.

I tightened the fuel cap and took the pilot to a dealer on Tuesday. By tuesday morning the light had gone out.

The dealer assured me that it was probably the loose gas cap. The reason I am doubtful is because it ame on after about 40 miles of driving. The dealer said this might be because the gas cap may have loosened due to driving.

Should I worry or should I go with the dealers explaination??

·
Registered
20 Posts
My experience with the Honda as well as one of my other cars, that the loose gas cap causes the warning light. After resealing it, the light will go out in a short while.

·
Registered
342 Posts
One word: Permacap

It can't get loose because you never take it off :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a TSB for an Evaporater bypass valve problem that casues the check engine symbol. If you get the indication again tell your dealer to read the TSB. There was a post earlier today about it and it gave the number.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi bubbafett :

You have mentioned that you had 16k miles on your pilot sofar. Any other major problems other than check Engine light problem?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have not had any problems before this one. I have made several 500+ mile trips (one that was 2500 miles) and a lot of around town driving. I do have some of the other complaints on the board about the scrunching window (maybe about 5% of the time), and uncooperatvive starting (happened two or three times). but nothing that I would consider as beyond normal. I really like the performance, gas mileage, and the extra room that the Pilot has over the Explorer that we had before this. For the price with the options that we wanted (4wd or awd, climate control, 6+ passenger seating) I do not think there is a better vehicle. The only bad thing is that Honda does not offer 0% financing, but the resale of the Pilot will make up the difference down the road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
RE: Gas Cap

My sales person was very explicit on the instruction that the cap be very tight or the warning light will come on.

If you tightened it down so you heard several clicks at least, and it sounds like you did, then there maybe a malfunction.

Let us know what happens...

SoCalGary

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Anytime, bubbafett!! (I figure my silver bullets and revolver are NO MATCH for your laser thing-a-ma-doo-dad, so I need all the allies I can get!!!) ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts