Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pilot is just over 1100 miles for 2 months, and yesterday the mal-function light was on and then off. This morning, my wife said it kept on. I checked the manual, seems it might be serious. Anybody has similar experience?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Here's what I think it is. Happens to me all the time:

The side air bag light will come on if something is placed on the front passenger seat. Then it will go back off in a few seconds. I wonder if this is the light you are experiencing. If so, it is just the air bags deciding whether the weight is a child or an object and whether they should disengage. It can tell if an adult is in the seat, and the light won't come on if it is an adult.

If this isn't the light you are talking about, then no, I haven't had this to happen.

Did I ramble too much? Did I make any sense at all? I feel I rambled...:1pat:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife is driving the pilot, and she is sure it's not the side airbag light. By looking up in the manual, it's mal-function indicator lamp(on top of the eng speed meter). The manual did say if you just added gas, the cap was not closed properly, the light might be on. However, we had gas two weeks ago, and the light comes on and off since yesterday. The closest two dealers won't have time until next week.:(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
catbert said:
Here's what I think it is. Happens to me all the time:

The side air bag light will come on if something is placed on the front passenger seat. Then it will go back off in a few seconds. I wonder if this is the light you are experiencing. If so, it is just the air bags deciding whether the weight is a child or an object and whether they should disengage. It can tell if an adult is in the seat, and the light won't come on if it is an adult.

If this isn't the light you are talking about, then no, I haven't had this to happen.

Did I ramble too much? Did I make any sense at all? I feel I rambled...:1pat:
Perhaps this kind of Rambler?? :eek:
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
everest said:
My wife is driving the pilot, and she is sure it's not the side airbag light. By looking up in the manual, it's mal-function indicator lamp(on top of the eng speed meter). The manual did say if you just added gas, the cap was not closed properly, the light might be on. However, we had gas two weeks ago, and the light comes on and off since yesterday. The closest two dealers won't have time until next week.:(
Did you try removing the gas cap and then re-installing? Making sure you turn until it "clicks" at least 3 times? Might be worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
everest said:
My pilot is just over 1100 miles for 2 months, and yesterday the mal-function light was on and then off. This morning, my wife said it kept on. I checked the manual, seems it might be serious. Anybody has similar experience?
Something similar happened to me @ about 10,000 miles. Also happened on my Accord. You probably have a bad valve in the emission somewhere. Was a little worse for me cuz the engine sounded really bad. Turned out to be a bad idler valve, which was replaced under warranty. Bring it in to the dealer and have it checked.

Here's the thread and you'll see it also happened to some other people.

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1880
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
follow-up

I dropped the pilot at the dealer yesterday morning, the mal-function indicator lamp was constantly on. Until now, the dealer is still working on it to try to find what's wrong. They told me the computer testing didn't reveal any problem, and will do more testing today.

Well, I can't believe the Honda Pilot already sitting at the dealer for 2 days now. I have to share the car with my wife, thank god her office is not too far from mine.

It's looks like this is not a common problem from this site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
Re: follow-up

everest said:
I dropped the pilot at the dealer yesterday morning, the mal-function indicator lamp was constantly on. Until now, the dealer is still working on it to try to find what's wrong. They told me the computer testing didn't reveal any problem, and will do more testing today.

Well, I can't believe the Honda Pilot already sitting at the dealer for 2 days now. I have to share the car with my wife, thank god her office is not too far from mine.

It's looks like this is not a common problem from this site.
hopefully it will get resolved soon to your satisfaction...
you did not get a loaner:3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Re: follow-up

everest said:
They told me the computer testing didn't reveal any problem,
Ask them to put the error code on the paperwork for your reccords.
If they said there was no error code then it is time to find a new dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:3: No, they have only 2 loaners, and are both out this week. Just called them, they are STILL working on my pilot, trying to figure out what's wrong. The mal-function indicator lamp is still on.

N_Jay, what error code? Is that the reading from their analysis computer? They are telling me their computer can not produce anything wrong. I don't know when it's time to change to another dealer. Will that make any difference? Very frustrating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
If

If the malfunction light is on when they hook up the computer they should be able to see any error codes that are stored.
If no codes were stored, then the light should not be on.
If the light is on with no codes are stored then something is wrong!
I would think this would be a reason for a new engine computer under warranty (but I am no expert).
If they reset the code without writing it down, it tels me they are not very good at diagnosing problems, as this is like throwing away the evidence, then saying "I don't know what happened!"

By keeping track of even sporatic errors a good mechanic should be able to get to the bottom of a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, N_Jay for your information. The dealer just called me back, here is what he told me, the malfunction light is still on, and when they hook up the computer of the pilot, until now, they don't see any error codes at all. Like you said, if no codes were stored, they suppose the light should not be on. The mechanic said he contacted Honda, Honda engineer told him, that's the first time they see this kind of things.

The dealer did what the honda engineer asked him but still coudn't find anything. He is asking me for at least 2 to 8 days to disable the car and do more work. If ultimately, they can't find anything wrong, they will simply replace the computer of the car. (The "brain" of the car). Geez, what can I do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
My only sugestion would be to act very nice and explain that you "Just can't live without a car that long!" and you "just don't understand" (in your dumbest voice) why they can not "just swap out the brain and let you get on your way".

The trick with these matters seems to be very nice, and very dumb, and very insistant!

If you are nice they can't get upset, if you are insistant they cant push you around, and if you are dumb they will get tired of trying to explain it to you; leaving them only one option. :2: :2: :2:
(Arn't I the devil!) :7:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
First off.. you people have to determine what MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) is illuminating before you can find a cause..

Honda Pilots have about 5 that I can think of off-hand..

Check Engine
Passenger Side Airbag "off"
TCS
Immobilizer
Low Fuel Warning lamp

Did I miss some?...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
BreakStuff said:
First off.. you people have to determine what MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) is illuminating before you can find a cause..

Honda Pilots have about 5 that I can think of off-hand..

Check Engine
Passenger Side Airbag "off"
TCS
Immobilizer
Low Fuel Warning lamp

Did I miss some?...
:) :) :)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Hey kemosabe...

Thanks for correcting my tired sorry butt out..

Just take it easy on me.. I don't own a Pilot..:).. I didn't realize they called the CEL(check engine lamp) a MIL(malfunction indicator lamp) in the owners manual..

Ok..whole new point... theres about 20 different conditions that will illuminate that "check engine light".. the most common would be a P01457..

Heres my take on that ..

" In 1996 the government mandated a law that wanted auto manufacturers to build "greener", cleaner cars.. one part of that process was to contain/store/re-burn gasoline fumes within your fuel tank so that they do not release hazardous fumes into our atmosphere...

What the code P1456,P1457 means is that your car leaking or losing fuel tank vacuum when the ECU (computer of the car) is doing a self test on the evaporative emissions system.. that vacuum is the same "hissing" noise you hear when you unscrew the fuel cap to fill up the tank.. atmospheric pressure is lower inside the tank than the "outside" atmosphere, thus sucking outside air into the tank to prevent fumes from leaking out..

Does this mean it will damage the motor? affect driveability? leave you stranded?... simply no..

They ask if you overfilled the tank simply because one of the "evap" valves is located ontop the fuel tank.. If fuel entered the valve(s) then it is possible raw fuel could "constrict" proper air flow setting the codes mentioned.. Does this usually happen when topping off the fuel tank? no...it is not common, but it does happen...

Some of you researching the P1456/P1457 may have been asked if you have checked the fuel cap to make sure it is tight.. well,now you should know why they ask this!"

BreakStuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kemosabe is unbelievable, you won't miss any thread with your funny pictures, well, also really helpful. That's why I love this site with you guys.

BreakStuff, thanks for your insight info. Since this is Jersey, we are not allowed to fill the gas ourselves, I am not sure if it's overfilled last time. However, the light came on after more than 2 weeks of gas filling and I am sure the cap is tight.

Anyway, they are going to disable the car today, and follow Honda Engineer's instruction to do more test. I tried N_Jay's suggestion, the problem is they don't have the computer parts ("brain") in stock, and have to order one. My concern is, if they can't find the cause of the malfunction, simply replacing the computer might not solve the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
everest said:
My concern is, if they can't find the cause of the malfunction, simply replacing the computer might not solve the problem.
This is what the mandated emmissions warranty is for.
They HAVE to fix it, and depending on the state, they could be running against a "lemon Law" clock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
malfunction light-been there

Everest--- We took delivery of an early production Pilot back in June '02 (vin in the 800's).....Our check engine light came on within a week of having the car...The local Honda dealership was having fits trying to determine the cause of the problem....They first changed most of the emissions and it fixed problem, temporarily...2 weeks later the light was back on ...The next fix was to replace the entire gas tank....That fixed the problem for good......In the first 6 weeks of ownership the Pilot spent 4 weeks at the dealership....Our malfunction light problem may have been extreme but Honda Customer service reimbursed us for all rental car costs because the dealership had no loaner cars...Get them involved if your Pilot is at the dealership for any considerable amount of time...Good luck!------ Waxpilot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the delay of my follow-up. My pilot was in the dealer for 4 days. They said there is no error code, and nothing wrong found on the car. Following Honda Engineer's suggestion, they took out the computer (control module), and did some test, eventually, replaced with a new control module. After that, the light was off.

They said that replacement fixed the key starting problem. (My wife encountered 5 or 6 times starting problem at the first 2 months.) It's been 3 weeks now, and we haven't seen any malfunction light on or key starting problem. Hope it really fixes the problem. Maybe it's just mental, somehow, I feel the engine is noisier after the replacement, especially when you hit gas hard.

4 weeks for you, waxpilot? it's too long. I guess it qualified lemon law in a lot of states.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top