Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, on the spur of the moment, I bought another motorcycle off ebay yesterday and now I'm working out the details for a cross-country trip in the Pilot with my trailer to pick up the bike. Just under 1,600 miles, so it will be about 2 days each way, probably spending a night in the St. Louis area going and coming back (to Greenville SC).

It will interesting to see what kind of mileage I'll get with my small utility trailer. I have been getting about 21-22 without the trailer in 70/30 HWY/CITY driving.

So, if anyone sees a Sandstone Pilot with a trailer in tow, wave at me as I go by!!

:18:

rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
colorider said:
Well, on the spur of the moment, I bought another motorcycle off ebay yesterday and now I'm working out the details for a cross-country trip in the Pilot with my trailer to pick up the bike.
I thought you were coming to Florida the end of this week by means other than you Pilot?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Making a trip in the Pilot!

florida_guy said:


I thought you were coming to Florida the end of this week by means other than you Pilot?
Yes - that trip is still scheduled - that is to see my daughter. Had I not all ready had my non-refundable airline tickets bought, I would probably just drive there and then loop up to SC on the way home.

rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Making a trip in the Pilot!

colorider said:


Yes - that trip is still scheduled - that is to see my daughter. Had I not all ready had my non-refundable airline tickets bought, I would probably just drive there and then loop up to SC on the way home.

rod
Ah yes, the dreaded non-refundable [tie your hands] tickets. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Tickets

I have heard that although not refundable, airlines will sometimes issue a credit for use within a specified time frame; say one year.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Tickets

seadog said:
I have heard that although not refundable, airlines will sometimes issue a credit for use within a specified time frame; say one year.
Not on this one though. I bought the farm it seems!!

BTW, I plan to spend a night on the road both going and coming in St. Louis. My wife and her son have never seen the Arch so we will do the quick tour the Sunday morning before we head out to Greenville.

rod
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kemosabe said:
What will your 3rd "other" Honda be??? I am assuming it's a Honda bike?
Every now and then I go to the "dark side" and buy/ride something other than a Honda - specifically a BMW! :1pat:

In this case, a '99 F650. This is to take the place of a KLR650 that I sold about 3 months ago.

rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
I'm not too far from Greenville. You need to visit a landmark while there. Drive on in to Spartanburg (the general area is called Greenville/Spartanburg because they are so close together) and eat at the Beacon. The guy you are getting the bike from can direct you - its been there for like 50 years or something. Its the biggest burger joint you'll ever go to. (Well, maybe the Varsity is bigger.) HUGE. Good burgers, good onion rings, good sweet tea, and good milkshakes.
You gotta walk and talk though. Don't get in line until you're ready to order. Its a real experience. Here is the website: http://www.beacondrivein.com/.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
catbert said:
I'm not too far from Greenville. You need to visit a landmark while there. Drive on in to Spartanburg (the general area is called Greenville/Spartanburg because they are so close together) and eat at the Beacon. The guy you are getting the bike from can direct you - its been there for like 50 years or something. Its the biggest burger joint you'll ever go to. (Well, maybe the Varsity is bigger.) HUGE. Good burgers, good onion rings, good sweet tea, and good milkshakes.
You gotta walk and talk though. Don't get in line until you're ready to order. Its a real experience. Here is the website: http://www.beacondrivein.com/.
Catbert,
Thanks for the suggestion!!! Looks like a REALLY neat place!

I just exchanged some email with the owner of the bike this morning and there is now a remote chance that he will be coming this way on a ski trip and has suggested that we try to split some of the cost associated with him simply hauling it in the back of his truck.

If we do make the trip afterall, we will sure try to make it over to the drive-in! I'll pass on the "sweet tea" thing :16: but all the rest sounds GREAT!!

Thanks again!

rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
You guys that aren't from the South don't know what you're missing with sweet tea. We even drink it for breakfast around here. When I was growing up, mom would make at least a gallon of sweet tea every day. My 7 month old has even had a little of it. Boy, she loves it!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
catbert said:
You guys that aren't from the South don't know what you're missing with sweet tea. We even drink it for breakfast around here. When I was growing up, mom would make at least a gallon of sweet tea every day. My 7 month old has even had a little of it. Boy, she loves it!
I learned the hard way of "sweet tea". Many years ago I made a business trip to Opelika AL and ordered tea at a restaurant. I about gagged on it when I took a big gulp of SWEETENED tea!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
catbert said:
You guys that aren't from the South don't know what you're missing with sweet tea. We even drink it for breakfast around here.
When I moved from Wisconsin to Florida I noticed that everone drinks tea down here. I never liked it but tried it again. I still don't like it. I'd actually rather have nothing to drink than drink tea, that's how bad it tastes to me. :28:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
florida_guy said:


When I moved from Wisconsin to Florida I noticed that everone drinks tea down here. I never liked it but tried it again. I still don't like it. I'd actually rather have nothing to drink than drink tea, that's how bad it tastes to me. :28:
I do like iced tea - just not sweet tea. But, I know a lot of people like it. To me, it does nothing to quench my thrist.

rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
florida_guy said:


When I moved from Wisconsin to Florida I noticed that everone drinks tea down here. I never liked it but tried it again. I still don't like it. I'd actually rather have nothing to drink than drink tea, that's how bad it tastes to me. :28:
Barbarians!!! (Okay, Vikings...!!!)
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tomorrow Morning!

We will be heading out first thing tomorrow morning at 0-dark-thrity for SC to pick up the new (to me) beemer. First night will be in St. Louis and the second night in Duncan SC (near Greenville). We will head back early Monday.

Watch for a Sandstone Pilot with a trailer in tow - and give me a big-ole wave!!!

:18:

rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Re: Tomorrow Morning!

colorider said:
We will be heading out first thing tomorrow morning at 0-dark-thrity for SC to pick up the new (to me) beemer. First night will be in St. Louis and the second night in Duncan SC (near Greenville). We will head back early Monday.

Watch for a Sandstone Pilot with a trailer in tow - and give me a big-ole wave!!!

:18:

rod
Drive safe. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Major Roadtrip Tomorrow

We will take the pilot to the road for a major trip starting Sat.
Our plans are to leave Indiana and stop in Nashville, Tn for the nite.
Then on to Destin, FL and sunshine for 4 days ,
then over to New Orleans for 3 days. I am taking my wife , son and girl friend (or maybe he will be taking me, he wants to drive), to Florida and then to meet my other son and his wife from Houston in New Orleans for the following weekend before coming home. I am sure the Pilot will come thru with flying colors
IF you see my Sandstone Pilot with the Purdue License Plate holder be sure to honk and way :7:
Regards to all,
Bob (sandman)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
You should call your airline if you really want to reschedule your trip. Because of the Iraq War, many are allowing changes and cancellations of non refundable tickets. Same with places like Priceline, etc.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top