Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

We have a 2016 Pilot, EX-L with Honda Sensing.

We really love the vehicle, but the only thing I’ve not liked from the moment we got it is the radio head unit. I recently learned (I’m slow...) that there exists the ability to add CarPlay support to the vehicle. It seems like there a number of ways to do this and years worth of outdated information. So I wanted to check in with everyone here to see what the best option(s) were.

As far as I can tell, you can either:
Replace the whole head unit with a radio from a newer model that has CarPlay built in already (I assume this is the best, but most labor intensive and highest cost).
Get something like the Carlinkit (https://smile.amazon.com/Carlinkit-...1D/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=) and, using the Honda Hack (http://www.autohack.org/) be able to install the necessary programs to run CarPlay on the stock unit.

Are there pros and cons to either? One recommended vs. the other? Other options out there? Better or alternative dongle/adapters out there?

I don’t mind wired CarPlay, but if Wireless is an option, great.

The things I would like to be able to do with this setup:
  1. Have the side and rear view cameras still function as default
  2. Play audio (music, podcasts) from CarPlay compatible apps (Apple Music, Amazon Music, Downcast)
  3. Run navigation (Google Maps and/or Apple Maps) [With audio playing from #2]
  4. Taking/Making phone calls
  5. Using Siri (either through Hey Siri or a steering wheel button press)
Any thoughts? Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Recommend doing the black box swap with 2017 or 2018 version. The dongle is a bandaid that might work in the short term, but I found it tiring to constantly have to tap the screen on startup to allow access. It cannot be set to always allow. I played with the dongle for about 6 months before deciding to do the swap and wish I would have just done that from the start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. That makes a lot of sense.

Is the 2018 version better functioning than the 2017 or are they more or less identical? What is a reliable source for purchasing a replacement head unit/black box?

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't believe there is any difference between the 2017 and 2018 versions. I bought mine from a yard that specializes in wrecked Hondas. The guys were very helpful when I explained to them exactly which trims they could pull from. They then took photos of the part number to confirm everything checked out. Great price compared to the ripoff to buy new.

Here is a link to my post.

There is nothing out date in the thread. You should be able to find a compatible part number for your trim. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts