Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just purchased a 2011 Pilot with 125k miles. It came with a Carfax showing very regular oil changes but not much other maintenance. A Honda dealer is telling me I should have the following done, and in looking at the maintenance schedule there's a lot that definitely needs to be done, but some of the stuff on this list I've never heard of needing to be done as regular maintenance. I was wondering if everything in the list should be done. I'm not particularly looking to skip stuff to save money, but also don't want to pay for them to do work that isn't necessary, and I'm always wary of what the dealer says.

Here's the list:

• Inspect for leaks
  • Level control
  • Replace engine coolant
  • Re-torque drive shaft bolt
  • Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
  • Inspect distributor cap-rotor-wires
  • Inspect A/C and heater operation
  • Service transmission
  • Check park brake adjustment
  • Inspect drive belts and adjustment
  • Service PCV valve
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Replace fuel filter
  • Service battery and clean cables
  • Inspect exhaust system
  • Inspect ball joints and dust covers
  • Inspect brake line and hoses
  • Inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
  • Differential oil
  • Inspect drive shaft boots
  • Inspect exhaust pipes and mountings
  • Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
  • Inspect steering gear box
  • Inspect steering wheel, linkage and boots
  • Inspect fuel lines & connections; fuel tank band & fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
  • Inspect and adjust drive belts
  • Inspect air filter elements
  • Inspect brake system
  • Adjust parking brake
  • Lubricate propeller shaft
  • Lubricate wheel bearings
  • Lubricate wheel bearings and drive shaft bearings
  • Lubricate throttle shafts
  • Propeller shaft flex coupling inspection
  • Inspect parking brake for free play
  • Lubricate all hinges and latches, door locks and door weather-strips
  • Lubricate chassis and hinges as required
  • Replace oil drain plug, gasket
  • Inspect coolant hoses and clamps
  • Inspect fuel lines and connections
  • Inspect undercarriage
  • Inspect crankcase filter
  • Inspect shocks and struts
  • Inspect engine valve clearance
  • Torque throttle body mount bolts
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Hi all, I just purchased a 2011 Pilot with 125k miles. It came with a Carfax showing very regular oil changes but not much other maintenance. A Honda dealer is telling me I should have the following done, and in looking at the maintenance schedule there's a lot that definitely needs to be done, but some of the stuff on this list I've never heard of needing to be done as regular maintenance. I was wondering if everything in the list should be done. I'm not particularly looking to skip stuff to save money, but also don't want to pay for them to do work that isn't necessary, and I'm always wary of what the dealer says.

Here's the list:

• Inspect for leaks
  • Level control
  • Replace engine coolant
  • Re-torque drive shaft bolt
  • Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
  • Inspect distributor cap-rotor-wires
  • Inspect A/C and heater operation
  • Service transmission
  • Check park brake adjustment
  • Inspect drive belts and adjustment
  • Service PCV valve
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Replace fuel filter
  • Service battery and clean cables
  • Inspect exhaust system
  • Inspect ball joints and dust covers
  • Inspect brake line and hoses
  • Inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
  • Differential oil
  • Inspect drive shaft boots
  • Inspect exhaust pipes and mountings
  • Inspect steering gear box
  • Inspect steering wheel, linkage and boots
  • Inspect fuel lines & connections; fuel tank band & fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
  • Inspect and adjust drive belts
  • Inspect air filter elements
  • Inspect brake system
  • Adjust parking brake
  • Lubricate propeller shaft
  • Lubricate wheel bearings
  • Lubricate wheel bearings and drive shaft bearings
  • Lubricate throttle shafts
  • Propeller shaft flex coupling inspection
  • Inspect parking brake for free play
  • Lubricate all hinges and latches, door locks and door weather-strips
  • Lubricate chassis and hinges as required
  • Replace oil drain plug, gasket
  • Inspect coolant hoses and clamps
  • Inspect fuel lines and connections
  • Inspect undercarriage
  • Inspect crankcase filter
  • Inspect shocks and struts
  • Inspect engine valve clearance
  • Torque throttle body mount bolts
Thanks in advance.
  • Inspect for leaks Yes
  • Level control What is this?
  • Replace engine coolant When was the timing belt done? Was it done? Generally the coolant gets done with the timing belt since you have to drain it anyway.
  • Re-torque drive shaft bolt Never done this in my life.
  • Re-torque propeller shaft bolt Never done this in my life.
  • Inspect distributor cap-rotor-wires Coil on plug, welcome to modern vehicles! Nothing to inspect here.
  • Inspect A/C and heater operation Outside of testing for hot air and cold air not much you can do.
  • Service transmission Drain and fill with new fluid, excellent idea. At your mileage I'd do 3 or 4 drain and fills with a couple days of driving in between. Plenty of how-to's and threads on which fluids to use.
  • Check park brake adjustment Only do this if you feel like it takes too many clicks to hold you on a hill.
  • Inspect drive belts and adjustment These should have been replaced with the timing belt...
  • Service PCV valve Why? You can but I see no purpose if you aren't having any oil burning or other issues.
  • Replace spark plugs Doesn't hurt to do.
  • Replace fuel filter I'm not 100% sure but I believe it's in-tank, so not serviceable unless you want to drop the tanks.
  • Service battery and clean cables Never hurts but I wouldn't do this unless you have corrosion.
  • Inspect exhaust system Doesn't hurt.
  • Inspect ball joints and dust covers Doesn't hurt.
  • Inspect brake line and hoses Doesn't hurt.
  • Inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs Doesn't hurt.
  • Differential oil Concur.
  • Inspect drive shaft boots Doesn't hurt.
  • Inspect exhaust pipes and mountings I feel like we covered this one?
  • Inspect fuel tank cap gasket Sure... but if it were leaking you'd throw a code.
  • Inspect steering gear box I guess make sure it's dry
  • Inspect steering wheel, linkage and boots Sure
  • Inspect fuel lines & connections; fuel tank band & fuel tank vapor vent system hoses Sure
  • Inspect fuel tank cap gasket Is there an echo in here?
  • Inspect and adjust drive belts I swear there's an echo?
  • Inspect air filter elements Just replace by the time you go that far in.
  • Inspect brake system Another echo!
  • Adjust parking brake Ok I need to get my ears checked?
  • Lubricate propeller shaft There are no zerks that I'm aware of.
  • Lubricate wheel bearings See above. Welcome to modern cars!
  • Lubricate wheel bearings and drive shaft bearings See above.
  • Lubricate throttle shafts What? Where? It's all electronic now...
  • Propeller shaft flex coupling inspection If there is one.
  • Inspect parking brake for free play Sorta covered this already...
  • Lubricate all hinges and latches, door locks and door weather-strips Never hurts
  • Lubricate chassis and hinges as required Never hurts
  • Replace oil drain plug, gasket If it's damaged... the crush washer is a topic of debate, I never replaced them until I started doing it since they are dirt cheap.
  • Inspect coolant hoses and clamps Yes
  • Inspect fuel lines and connections Echo?
  • Inspect undercarriage Yea you were definitely missing something in your list, I'm glad you had a good catch all. DO IT!
  • Inspect crankcase filter Crankcase filter? You mean the PCV system? We talked about this already...
  • Inspect shocks and struts Yes!
  • Inspect engine valve clearance Good idea.
  • Torque throttle body mount bolts Never heard of them coming loose...
This is a pretty incredible list. You definitely just took a gigantic brain shat all over this thread, I'd say 90% of what you are looking to do is unnecessary. Change all of the fluids, lube what you can, fix what's broken and then fix things that break while following normal service intervals for fluid exchanges.

Maybe I missed these items in the list:

1. Power steering fluid swap... turkey baster method, once a week until the color looks like the new fluid
  2. Brake fluid swap
  3. Transfer case fluid drain and fill
Don't forget to top off your blinker fluid!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you cintocrunch for taking the time to respond. I figured a lot of it was bunk. Sorry for the repeats, I copied that off of their website but should have looked it over better before posting.

Regarding the cost, I didn't give them a chance to give it to me. I had a feeling they were being scammy and ended the conversation.

Regarding the work, I'm not having trouble finding any of the parts except for the serpentine belt tensioner and the hydraulic tensioner bolts. Does anyone have a part number or link for these?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Thank you cintocrunch for taking the time to respond. I figured a lot of it was bunk. Sorry for the repeats, I copied that off of their website but should have looked it over better before posting.

Regarding the cost, I didn't give them a chance to give it to me. I had a feeling they were being scammy and ended the conversation.

Regarding the work, I'm not having trouble finding any of the parts except for the serpentine belt tensioner and the hydraulic tensioner bolts. Does anyone have a part number or link for these?

Thanks.
Check out parts diagrams on College Hills Honda, Bernardi, etc.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Anytime I see "inspect" I think either, they will conveniently find whatever they inspect to need replacement OR they are just racking up labor charges. If you crawl underneath your car, and know basic car parts, you will be able to inspect the condition of most things.

My personal opinion is, if there's something wrong with the car whether it be engine, suspension or transmission, it will be evident to you. So really the only proactive maintenance that needs to be done is timing belt, oil and transmission fluid (and rear diff if you have it). Other than that if it breaks replace it. I'm sure if I had that inspection done on my 2008 they would be able to find a couple thousand dollars of work that could be replaced even though everything works.

You say the car has 125,000 miles on it. If the timing belt service hasn't been done, do that and make sure they replace the coolant as well. Drain and fill your transmission fluid once every oil change interval for the next 3 changes. Replace any suspension, brakes and tires as needed. Everything else will be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts