Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
My MPG started declining before the CEL came on for a bad oil pressure switch sensor - front bank. I replaced both sensors -- front & rear -- for good measure and my MPG went up again. These sensors play a role in the VCM system (whose whole point is to optimize MPG). My theory is that as the one sensor gradually started failing, VCM wasn't working as efficiently as it should've.

I know you bought the car used but if those sensors haven't been changed at 150k miles, it's time.
Watch out, I get razzed for replacing oil pressure switches, vtec assemblies and gaskets for no obvious reason. We're suppose to let it fail 1st. Lol

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot EX FWD
4 Posts
I can tell you this. I have a 2012 EX with just over 200k miles. I drive around 60,000 miles annually. My mileage was getting worse and worse. It was down to between 15.5-17.5

I had ignored that stupid fuel cap warning. But it leads to a check engine light coming on eventually. I really thought it was a nuisance and not something I needed to take seriously.

Dealer wanted over 200 bucks to change the canister purge valve solenoid to make the light go away. I bought the genuine Honda part 36162-RN0-A01 for $33 including shipping.

Took me slightly longer to go back in my email and find the exact part number I ordered and type this post than it did to change it. After changing it The light stayed on for about two or three days then the check engine light went off. I got the oil changed again (Mobil 1 0W-20 extended performance high mileage full synthetic Mobil 110a filter-that’s what I’ve used about every 7500 miles for 110k) I filled it with gas (87 octane) reset everything and drove from Baton Rouge to Lafayette (running late and drove it hard. I went through road construction, and from there to New Orleans. It’s not a pleasant drive There was some stop and go traffic, but whenever I could I got up to 79 miles an hour on cruise. I also sat with it idling in parking lots for about an hour.

I was absolutely stunned to see I averaged 22 miles a gallon.

I bought it with just under 90k miles on it and I doubt the plugs have ever been changed, so that was next on my list, but at 22mpg I’m wondering if it ever gets any better than that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmm I seem to get really bad mileage on my 2015 Pilot. It otherwise seems to run fine, no warning lights ever. Very regular full synthetic oil changes all of its life. New spark plugs last year (NGK). For the past 90000 km, combo of city commuting, highway, road trips, etc., I have averaged about 15 L/100km, which according to online calculator, is about 15.5mpg? Not sure why so low. I use regular 87 fuel.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My former 2012 Pilot EX 4WD averaged between 22 mpg and 23 mpg with most of the driving being local. I never worried about how I drove and I tend to use the accelerator pedal to accelerate. My current 2021 Pilot SE AWD with around 2,200 miles on it is averaging 22.3 mpg.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tires with more rolling resistance can easily take several mpg off; More aggressive treads will take more off. Overinflating is a common hypermileage practice, but can lead to more wear. However my Michelin Defender tires should be inflated a few psi more than the Honda rec according to the tire manufacturer for correct performance and load carrying capacity.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
My Defender LTX's are screaming now at 55K just like the prior ones. I've run them at 36 psi from new. Cooper HT's next time. I want a highway tread and Michelin's too proud of their product. I had their Touring model prior to the two sets of Defender LTX's. Our 2005 gets 17-18 city and 22 highway. 235K

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,631 Posts
My former 2012 Pilot EX 4WD averaged between 22 mpg and 23 mpg with most of the driving being local. I never worried about how I drove and I tend to use the accelerator pedal to accelerate. My current 2021 Pilot SE AWD with around 2,200 miles on it is averaging 22.3 mpg.
Is that per the guess-ta-mater in the dashboard or with pencil and paper?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts