Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first time Pilot owner here. I recently bought a one-owner 2008 EX-L with just 42k miles! The vehicle is 12 years old but in great shape mechanically for its age. I have been reading through the forums here and watching repairs on YouTube to understand all the maintenance that I will eventually do. I have already changed all fluids since the first owner did not keep detailed maintenance records, but did do routine engine oil changes (per CarFax). Since the vehicle has low miles but is 12 years old, I am considering whether I should proactively replace the timing belt ( +water pump, tensioner, etc) or just wait for the maintenance minder to hit 105k miles? Given the age of the vehicle I am wondering what other items one would proactively inspect or replace? The first owner mainly did city driving. I do a mix of city and highway (already put 4k on it). I plan to do some RV'ing with it once I get the proper coolers installed for towing. The manual recommends changing the belt at 60k miles if regularly driving in extreme temps or towing, maybe I should just go for it now?...

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
Try to find out from the previous owner when, if at all, the timing belt was changed.
If you can't get an answer, then change it now.
Old schedule, before the maintenance minder, was at intervals of 105K miles or seven years - whichever came first.

Also, check your VIN for any outstanding recalls, particularly for the airbags.
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Given the age of the vehicle I am wondering what other items one would proactively inspect or replace?
Good on you for all the fluids, and certainly take @xGS's advice for the timing belt and recalls, but don't forget the air filters, both engine and cabin.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
Check the date on the tires. If they are OEM's then you might also want to consider putting new ones on in the near future.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Hello, first time Pilot owner here. I recently bought a one-owner 2008 EX-L with just 42k miles! The vehicle is 12 years old but in great shape mechanically for its age. I have been reading through the forums here and watching repairs on YouTube to understand all the maintenance that I will eventually do. I have already changed all fluids since the first owner did not keep detailed maintenance records, but did do routine engine oil changes (per CarFax). Since the vehicle has low miles but is 12 years old, I am considering whether I should proactively replace the timing belt ( +water pump, tensioner, etc) or just wait for the maintenance minder to hit 105k miles? Given the age of the vehicle I am wondering what other items one would proactively inspect or replace? The first owner mainly did city driving. I do a mix of city and highway (already put 4k on it). I plan to do some RV'ing with it once I get the proper coolers installed for towing. The manual recommends changing the belt at 60k miles if regularly driving in extreme temps or towing, maybe I should just go for it now?...
Nice. Post some pictures to see how it looks. I myself bought a 2007 Pilot EX-L FWD with 126,100 miles. It's in pretty good shape and I've already done a few things to it to make it look a little better aesthetically speaking. Hope you enjoy your Pilot as much as I'm enjoying mine. Yours seems to be in way better shape mechanically than mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try to find out from the previous owner when, if at all, the timing belt was changed.
If you can't get an answer, then change it now.
Old schedule, before the maintenance minder, was at intervals of 105K miles or seven years - whichever came first.

Also, check your VIN for any outstanding recalls, particularly for the airbags.
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site
Thanks. Recalls are up to date. Belt was not changed according to last owner. I wasnt sure about the 105k or 7 years rule. I read it on the price list for scheduled maintenance at the local Honda dealer. But I did not find the 7 years interval in the owners or shop manual. I just wanted to see what others thought of replacing it at 47k miles. One of my relatives thinks I'm crazy to change it before 100k miles because "its an over engineered Honda". I just want the piece of mind knowing its new. Rubber doesnt last forever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1. Get rid of the spare while you're at it. Its 12 years old and useless. Replace with a new wheel and full-size spare.
Thanks. Great suggestion. Didn't realize they started putting dates on tires. Mine are only a few years old but the spare is definitely old. Will be getting a full size spare for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice. Post some pictures to see how it looks. I myself bought a 2007 Pilot EX-L FWD with 126,100 miles. It's in pretty good shape and I've already done a few things to it to make it look a little better aesthetically speaking. Hope you enjoy your Pilot as much as I'm enjoying mine. Yours seems to be in way better shape mechanically than mine.
Yes, I have been enjoying it quite a bit. I have used it mainly to haul groceries and to help my baby girl get her naps! I will have to take some pics when I get it more cleaned up. It has a number of dings, scratches and some rust starting that I am not thrilled about (from the salty Midwest) but its not affecting reliability. Its a Honda and if taken care of properly can go to 200k or more.

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
Belt was not changed according to last owner. I wasnt sure about the 105k or 7 years rule. I read it on the price list for scheduled maintenance at the local Honda dealer. But I did not find the 7 years interval in the owners or shop manual. I just wanted to see what others thought of replacing it at 47k miles. One of my relatives thinks I'm crazy to change it before 100k miles because "its an over engineered Honda". I just want the piece of mind knowing its new. Rubber doesnt last forever.
The seven year guideline disappeared when the maintenance minder was introduced.
Suppose that you're the original owner still putting on about 3-4K miles per year. Will the timing belt last for 25 years?
I once put that question to Honda customer service and was told to check with the dealer.
Also, the oil can leak out of the hydraulic tensioner and eventually allow the belt to slip, which can be just as bad as it breaking.
The dealer claims that they've seen teeth broken off on timing belts used well beyond the 105K-mile/7-year limit.
The Pilot has an interference type engine, so anything that lets the timing get out of sync can cause serious/expensive damage.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Thanks. Great suggestion. Didn't realize they started putting dates on tires. Mine are only a few years old but the spare is definitely old. Will be getting a full size spare for sure.
A little tricky to decipher at first glance, but they've been doing that for a while.

In this example, the tire was manufactured the 26th week of the year 2013, sometime between

June 24, 2013June 30, 2013

·
Registered
18 Posts
About five years ago I purchased a 2007 Pilot EXL with 35k miles. It has been awesome and it has not given us any problems. I changed the tires even though they look in good shape with a ton of tread but the date code made them more likely than not the OEM tires. All fluids were changed and I did the PCV valve. It was easy. Last year at around 77K miles, I noticed that the cooling fan would stay on for awhile after turning off the engine. Pressure test on the radiator showed that I had a small leak. I replaced the radiator which is a weak point in these Pilots. We plan to keep ours for a long time. This site has been a priceless resource.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About five years ago I purchased a 2007 Pilot EXL with 35k miles. It has been awesome and it has not given us any problems. I changed the tires even though they look in good shape with a ton of tread but the date code made them more likely than not the OEM tires. All fluids were changed and I did the PCV valve. It was easy. Last year at around 77K miles, I noticed that the cooling fan would stay on for awhile after turning off the engine. Pressure test on the radiator showed that I had a small leak. I replaced the radiator which is a weak point in these Pilots. We plan to keep ours for a long time. This site has been a priceless resource.
So you did not do the timing belt?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,846 Posts
If you look at it in terms of risk reward, eventually you will need to change the timing belt and associated components. Do it now and it costs you ~$1200. Belt breaks and you’re likely looking at an engine replacement which will be 3-4x the cost of the belt replacement. Personally I would get the belt changed if you’re considering keeping the Pilot long term. As a single data point, my threshold of risk was 11 years at ~77k miles before having the belt replaced.

Reactions: Tacoma'03Pilot

·
Registered
18 Posts
So you did not do the timing belt?
That is correct, my trusted mechanic inspected it and felt that it was in good condition and will be doing it by the end of the year.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you look at it in terms of risk reward, eventually you will need to change the timing belt and associated components. Do it now and it costs you ~$1200.
I think this is right. It's $1,200 now, it's $1,200 a year from now and you're good for years.

Unless you honestly think you'll get another 100k from the vehicle and have to do another timing belt, there's no functional advantage to waiting. The upside of doing it now is potentially significant.

Also, do the water pump at the same time. I get to do a timing belt with 40k miles on it sometime soon because the previous owner decided the pump didn't need doing.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
I think this is right. It's $1,200 now, it's $1,200 a year from now and you're good for years.

Unless you honestly think you'll get another 100k from the vehicle and have to do another timing belt, there's no functional advantage to waiting. The upside of doing it now is potentially significant.

Also, do the water pump at the same time. I get to do a timing belt with 40k miles on it sometime soon because the previous owner decided the pump didn't need doing.
And the tensioner. Use the Aisin kit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts