Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get a better handle on organizing a few vehicles (mainly my Pilot with 155k miles on it) maintenance records.

Current method is file folder in file cabinet with receipts organized in chronological order and notebook with logged entries for each service, repair, change.

I would like to have something that tracks this stuff better and show what needs attention soon.

Any apps or methods you can suggest would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
I like to keep it all in my head. Don't know for how long that's gonna work, though.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,267 Posts
For the Pilot why not let Honda do it for you. If you have signed up at the Honda Owners site you can go into your profile, and pull up every maintenance item Honda has done. Yes I know, that doesn't show what you or some independent mechanic has done, but if you look over the My Maintenance area you will see the option to enter you now maintenance records for work done.

When you go to sell the vehicle that way everything is already listed in the way of all maintenance that has been done.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
I keep a little black logbook in the glove compartment of every vehicle and all maintenance is logged by date and mileage. Receipts for parts and service are kept in a file folder in the house just in case they are needed for warranties.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the Pilot why not let Honda do it for you. If you have signed up at the Honda Owners site you can go into your profile, and pull up every maintenance item Honda has done.
I have seen Honda online maintenance records referenced here before. I do not have an online Honda account. Do you login by vin number?

·
Super Moderator
4,267 Posts
I have seen Honda online maintenance records referenced here before. I do not have an online Honda account. Do you login by vin number?
No you go to the site, set up and account, part of which is entering your VIN number or numbers if you own more than one Honda. From there when you log in you pick the vehicle from the list of your vehicles.

Honda Owners

By doing so anyone can pull up the service records for any Honda they happen to have the VIN# for.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Tried to set up an account on the Honda Canada site and it would not let me do it. Seems pretty useless anyway if you do your own maintenance.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,404 Posts
I keep a spreadsheet for each vehicle and a folder of all the receipts as well. When I sold my 1996 Accord, the buyer didn't even look at the spreadsheet and when I bought the '08 Pilot all I looked for was proof that the timing belt was changed.

I don’t want to bother with logging in and I don't get my maintenance done at the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
4,267 Posts
I keep a spreadsheet for each vehicle and a folder of all the receipts as well. When I sold my 1996 Accord, the buyer didn't even look at the spreadsheet and when I bought the '08 Pilot all I looked for was proof that the timing belt was changed.

I don’t want to bother with logging in and I don't get my maintenance done at the dealer.
The big difference for me is that a spread sheet on a computer could go bye bye if a HD fails. Most people don't set up a real time backup system for their computers.

With keeping the records on the Honda site I know that they keep not just a backup but several layers of backup of and any all digital materials.

The paper receipts go into individual file folders for each vehicle after the information is entered.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I use the fuelio app. When I add gas mileage and cost, it adjusts and flags when your pre set service is due. I can add pics and several cars. It also allows to search by several options. It's essentially a fancy spreadsheet

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The big difference for me is that a spread sheet on a computer could go bye bye if a HD fails. Most people don't set up a real time backup system for their computers.

With keeping the records on the Honda site I know that they keep not just a backup but several layers of backup of and any all digital materials.

The paper receipts go into individual file folders for each vehicle after the information is entered.
I have bigger worries if my hard drive fails. I know I maintained my Pilot and when/if I'm selling I don't think maintenance records add too much to the value. Most car shoppers don't care too much about that kind of stuff especially the older the vehicle gets.
The spreadsheet is more for me to have quick reference to what I've done. The receipts will always be there.

But I will say the spreadsheet is stored in the cloud so I guess I'm a little more protected.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just keep it on OneDrive / iCloud / Google Drive....

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for you reply DG.

If you have access to this Honda service database for a particular vehicle, are you able to look at the details of the service line items as on a physical receipt?

·
Super Moderator
4,267 Posts
Thanks for you reply DG.

If you have access to this Honda service database for a particular vehicle, are you able to look at the details of the service line items as on a physical receipt?
No, it gives the description of what was done if you click on the + symbol on the right You can print them out, but I have never done so. It might give you line item there. I have yet to enter a record for my 2020 Passport as part of my purchase deal was 5 years free service on the vehicle.

The Honda records for service shows the type of service, which in my case was a A service. It listed the part numbers for the crush washer and the oil filter used. The dealer only uses Synthetic Honda oil for the 2020 Pilots, Passports.

This however is the information you can enter for outside/non Honda service.

If nothing else you might find it interesting to see everything done to your vehicle from the moment of purchase. My vehicle records start 15 days pre purchase with the pre delivery inspection to the dealer.

·
Registered
2009 EX-L RES
17 Posts
For the Pilot why not let Honda do it for you. If you have signed up at the Honda Owners site you can go into your profile, and pull up every maintenance item Honda has done. Yes I know, that doesn't show what you or some independent mechanic has done, but if you look over the My Maintenance area you will see the option to enter you now maintenance records for work done.

When you go to sell the vehicle that way everything is already listed in the way of all maintenance that has been done.
I agree with this, and it was very valuable seeing that things like timing belt and tensioner, water pump, control arms, and others with specific part numbers were listed on Honda Owners for me when I bought my 2009. Easy to log in and check if you forget, and could be great for the next owner to simply enter the VIN to see what they should be prepared for with maintenance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is the spreadsheet that I developed/use. I have separate ones for all my vehicles and rv's. I'm an OCD-inflicted computer geek so I scan in all receipts and attach them to the relevant portion of the spreadsheet, as well as keep a separate scanned copy elsewhere online.

I keep everything in Microsoft OneDrive (or you could Google Docs) and with the phone/tablet and the free apps (Microsoft Online apps/Google Office apps), I can punch it up when mobile.

I've been thinking about charting the "Gas" worksheet with some histograms/trend lines on a time horizon, but I'm not that motivated right now.

I removed all private information and kept some data as an example so you could see how it works. Welcome to anyone that wants to use it/modify it.

If you find it useful - great. If you have suggestions on making it better, let me know. Tons of different ways to do it, but for me this is simple and quick.

Click here to download

·
Super Moderator
4,267 Posts
Been using Fuely for quite some time now to track fuel usage. Cheap, quick and simple.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is the spreadsheet that I developed/use. I have separate ones for all my vehicles and rv's. I'm an OCD-inflicted computer geek so I scan in all receipts and attach them to the relevant portion of the spreadsheet, as well as keep a separate scanned copy elsewhere online.

I keep everything in Microsoft OneDrive (or you could Google Docs) and with the phone/tablet and the free apps (Microsoft Online apps/Google Office apps), I can punch it up when mobile.

I've been thinking about charting the "Gas" worksheet with some histograms/trend lines on a time horizon, but I'm not that motivated right now.

I removed all private information and kept some data as an example so you could see how it works. Welcome to anyone that wants to use it/modify it.

If you find it useful - great. If you have suggestions on making it better, let me know. Tons of different ways to do it, but for me this is simple and quick.

Click here to download
Been using Fuely for quite some time now to track fuel usage. Cheap, quick and simple.

I’ll check both of these out. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Click here to download
Wow that is some OCD. I used Fuelly to track my mileage for a couple of weeks but I kept forgetting to log it. I used to keep gas receipts more for budget tracking but I usually ended up throwing them away....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts