Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please explain to me if I am missing something or is the dealer just loosing their mind.

A few months ago when I took my pilot it for its first oil change around 7,000 miles, they told me that it looked great, I had no excessive wear and tear or anything. I even proceeded to ask whether I should use the normal maintenance schedule or the severe conditions, considering the area and its traffic. I figured they would know better after having serviced it than before, and they said I could follow the normal schedule. Great, but then after I left I noticed the little sticky they placed in my window said to return in 3000 miles. What is that all about? I watched him hand write that sticker info, so it wasn't pre-printed or anything.. I still haven't sorted out whether it was a mistake or not..

Has anyone else found it necessary or been asked to go every 3,000 miles if you are following the normal conditions schedule?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Alloces said:
. . .
Has anyone else found it necessary or been asked to go every 3,000 miles if you are following the normal conditions schedule?
My dealer does the same thing.

Old habits die hard! :2: :2: :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
I think all dealers must do this. They must make a big profit off the oil changes. I will ask them the next time I take mine in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
It seems that some dealers disregard anything but their own schedule.

The dealer I just bought my Pilot from told me many times that it was very important for me to get my oil changed for the first time at 1500 - 2000 miles since Honda ships the cars with a special oil to help it break in properly. I spoke to a "Service Adviser" about this and he said that they have found that the engine breaks in at around 600 miles and they want to minimize wear caused by metal particles that are too small to be trapped by the oil filter.

This completely contradicts the Pilot Owners Manual and the information on the Honda Owner Link web site, which strongly recommend leaving the special oil in the engine until the first maintenance interval.

I don't think they are trying to get more money out of me since the first service is free, but it bugs me that the service department is blatantly ignoring Honda's recommendations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
MA_Pilot said:
It seems that some dealers disregard anything but their own schedule.

The dealer I just bought my Pilot from told me many times that it was very important for me to get my oil changed for the first time at 1500 - 2000 miles since Honda ships the cars with a special oil to help it break in properly. I spoke to a "Service Adviser" about this and he said that they have found that the engine breaks in at around 600 miles and they want to minimize wear caused by metal particles that are too small to be trapped by the oil filter.

This completely contradicts the Pilot Owners Manual and the information on the Honda Owner Link web site, which strongly recommend leaving the special oil in the engine until the first maintenance interval.

I don't think they are trying to get more money out of me since the first service is free, but it bugs me that the service department is blatantly ignoring Honda's recommendations.
I've heard that you want to let the "special oil" stay in there for at least 5k miles (normal driving) so the rings will seat properly. Regular oil has protective additives that will prevent the proper seating ring action. I'm no mechanic though. :8:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Alloces said:
Could someone please explain to me if I am missing something or is the dealer just loosing their mind.

.......

Has anyone else found it necessary or been asked to go every 3,000 miles if you are following the normal conditions schedule?
This appears to be a standard practice by dealers, regardless of brand, at least based on our experience. Even though the owner's manual recommends changing oil at 5K for a previous Tacoma, the service reminder sticker still says 3K, regardless of dealer. Ditto for our current CRV. I guess this is a way of insuring that the service department will have more business vs. less. Due to the fact that we registered with Honda's ownerlink site, we received an e-mail politely reminding us of the Pilot's 7.5 K service. I guess we'll have to see if we are reminded to come in and change oil after 3K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
4603pba said:
I think all dealers must do this. They must make a big profit off the oil changes. I will ask them the next time I take mine in.
Oil and filter changes at my Honda dealer are $20. Even if it were 100% profit after their real parts and labor costs, it's not something they could get rich on.

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
LChisum said:
Oil and filter changes at my Honda dealer are $20. Even if it were 100% profit after their real parts and labor costs, it's not something they could get rich on.

Larry
Let's see....
$20 for 10 minutes X number of bays doing the changes x number of hours open = a lot of change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
4603pba said:
Let's see....
$20 for 10 minutes X number of bays doing the changes x number of hours open = a lot of change.
My dealer is so busy w/oil changes, it took them an hour and and a half to do an oil change... Ching ching...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
4603pba said:
Let's see....
$20 for 10 minutes X number of bays doing the changes x number of hours open = a lot of change.
Another conspiracy revealed! I suggest then that you do it yourself whenever you feel like it.

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
Alloces said:

Has anyone else found it necessary or been asked to go every 3,000 miles if you are following the normal conditions schedule?
my dealer does the same thing ..puts 3000 miles and 3 month on the remider sticker.....guess its $$$$ to them:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
LChisum said:
Another conspiracy revealed! I suggest then that you do it yourself whenever you feel like it.

Larry
Or every 5K miles, whichever comes first!!! (IMO)

:)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top