Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an idea how the whole maintenance minder for the Pilot works? Does it work strictly off of the mileage, or is there some system in place that actually monitors the "cleanliness" factor of all your fluids?

I just had my oil changed, and the oil life percentage was only at 70%, and the mechanic said I didn't need to change the oil yet. (I'm very old school and have totally bought into the every 3 months or 3000 miles thing - yes I know, probably not needed, but I'd rather spend a little extra and have clean oil and a longer lasting engine.)

Anyway, the mechanic said that with the maintenance minder, based on my driving habits the car will know when it is time to do the maintenance - no just oil, but spark plugs, diffy fluid.... anything that would normally be covered in the regular maintenance schedule. He showed me the standard maintanence schedule for past honda's and he said "this type of schedule doesn't apply anymore".

Anyone else have this type of experience with the new honda's? My last new honda was 9 years ago, and have had no experience with this new type of maintenance...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
In general, these systems are algorithm-based - that is they take existing sensor data from the car and apply a formula to this data to compute when service is necessary. The sensor data includes things like # of starts, total running time, time spent at various RPMs, calendar time, throttle position, ambient temperature. etc. The exact forumula? I have no idea.

Some cars do have an oil quality sensor that I believe measures oil pH to improve the calculation of oil life, but I don't believe Honda uses this.

From what I can tell, the Honda system is fairly conservative (i.e., many of us are only getting 5K between oil changes), so I'm following it. If it was recommending 10K or 15K oil changes (like my Mini does), I would more strongly consider doing supplemental oil changes. If you do extra oil changes, don't reset the system when you do them - that way, the system will continue to predict other maintenance correctly.

- Mark

·
Registered
438 Posts
So if you changed the oil say at 3000 miles.

How do you reset this system to start from 100% oil life?

Or you are saying it would know?

·
Registered
297 Posts
netman88 said:

He is saying that IF you reset the thing it will no longer be accurate for anything but the oil. The differential oil, the etc, etc, etc, would no longer be tracked correctly. So IF you do supplemental oil changes do NOT reset it.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
netman88 said:

Easy fix.

Don't change the oil early.

·
Registered
438 Posts
mikey159 said:

He is saying that IF you reset the thing it will no longer be accurate for anything but the oil. The differential oil, the etc, etc, etc, would no longer be tracked correctly. So IF you do supplemental oil changes do NOT reset it.
I guess I wouldn't be using it for oil then. I think I'll still change my oil every 3500-4000 miles like I usually do.

I did that for my Honda Accord before and last til 160,000 miles before I sold it.

Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
netman88 said:

I guess I wouldn't be using it for oil then. I think I'll still change my oil every 3500-4000 miles like I usually do.

I did that for my Honda Accord before and last til 160,000 miles before I sold it.

Thanks for the clarification.
So far changing the oil in the Pilot about every 5000 to 7500 miles with whatever conventional 5w20 the dealer has has provided no sign of oil relate where after 110,000 miles.

All indications would point to 3000 to 4000 miles changes as beyond what is needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts