Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I just don't know how we survived without a dash light reminding us when to change the oil or anything else.
I would hope there is still a maintenance book that says when to perform tasks at a certain milage. Or to they make you follow the MM and look up a service code?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
You must be new here.
Well someone left out the books in the glove box when I picked up the 2017 from the salvage auction. LOL 😀

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Well someone left out the books in the glove box when I picked up the 2017 from the salvage auction. LOL 😀
So you're saying that someone salvaged the owner's manual from the Pilot you bought at a salvage auction?
FYI, Pilots haven't had a time/mileage based maintenance schedule since the maintenance minder was introduced with the 2006 model year.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
So you're saying that someone salvaged the owner's manual from the Pilot you bought at a salvage auction?
It wasn't in the glove box. Your guess is as good as mine.
FYI, Pilots haven't had a time/mileage based maintenance schedule since the maintenance minder was introduced with the 2006 model year.
So they don't have in writing AWD owners at what milage to service the VTM-4 system or when to change other fluids?

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
So they don't have in writing AWD owners at what milage to service the VTM-4 system or when to change other fluids?
Not really.
Aside from changing the engine oil at least once a year and the brake fluid at least every three years, "scheduled" maintenance is all based on the maintenance minder prompts that appear when the oil life reaches 15%.

You can get a copy of the owner's manual here:
Owners Manual for | 2017 Honda Pilot | Honda Owners
Even with a copy of the manual, it's apparent that some owners never get as far as page 571, or so.

That's the reason behind this thread: Maintenance Minder - Updated

·
Registered
39 Posts
Works fine as long as you always take it to the dealer for maintenance. As soon as you start resetting the oil life monitor yourself you're likely to throw off the timing and not receive maintenance reminders. I've got a 2015 Odyssey with the same maintenance minder system, and thanks to my own early oil life resets (my own fault) I've never received a notification for any maintenance due in 5 years and nearly 40k miles. Fortunately I'm not enough of a noob to think the car hasn't needed any servicing in 5 years.

I just go off of the Gen 2 maintenance schedule for the Pilot and keep my own records.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Fortunately I'm not enough of a noob to think the car hasn't needed any servicing in 5 years.

I just go off of the Gen 2 maintenance schedule for the Pilot and keep my own records.
Yes, I write the milage and when a service is performed. Nothing worse than not knowing when the last time you performed a certain service.
I'm on the Nail Grease maintainace schedule, it's in my head and no one else knows it. lol

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
52 Posts
I got my oil changed at the dealer today, they said I needed to have my differential oil changed at 15,000 miles, I now have 20,000 miles on the car, and I questioned them about the maintenance minder, and why it didn't pop up to tell me I needed that done. They stumbled for an answer, and said it was up to me weather I waited for the maintanence light to come up, or just change it at 15,000 miles.
I have never had any of the maintenance reminders pop up yet, always change my oil at 5,000 miles. Should I go by the dealers, or go by the maintenance minder, I'm thinking the maintenance minder would be more the one to believe? i know the dealers would love to have you get things done as often as possible, but I just want to keep my warranty good. What do any of you think?
I would go by the owners manual instructions. Im not sure why your maintenance minder is not working correctly.

In addition to differential oil change (VTM4) you need to do the transmission drain and fill every 15k, it is just 3 qts for this procedure. Not doing this will severely effect tranny life

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,949 Posts
I would go by the owners manual instructions. Im not sure why your maintenance minder is not working correctly.

In addition to differential oil change (VTM4) you need to do the transmission drain and fill every 15k, it is just 3 qts for this procedure. Not doing this will severely effect tranny life
This is why: "always change my oil at 5,000 miles" Looks like the OP never reached the point where the MM would give a message. Simply following the MM properly will 1 take care of the needed maintenance and 2 save some money. Put that saved money back into quality fluids and parts, ie: fully synthetic oil, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Purely informational: I bought my 2018 pilot ex-l brand new an changed the differential fluid at 15k mi as recommended, the fluid was as clean as the new fluid I put in it and there were zero metal flakes, dirt etc. It seemed like a complete waste of money. Anyway that was just my personal experience. The transmission fluid is a completely different story.

·
Registered
675 Posts

The third generation Pilots DO NOT USE VTM4 fluid!!!! They use DPSFII fluid and it is even stamped on the differential itself!

The 9 speed transmission also uses a completely different procedure and fluid than a simple drain and fill per Honda instructions but the OP hasn't stated what model he has..

Reactions: Astrobuf

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Purely informational: I bought my 2018 pilot ex-l brand new an changed the differential fluid at 15k mi as recommended, the fluid was as clean as the new fluid I put in it and there were zero metal flakes, dirt etc. It seemed like a complete waste of money. Anyway that was just my personal experience.
Your conclusion about the condition of the used rear differential fluid relies upon the presumption that a valid assessment can be made solely by an examination of its appearance.

·
Registered
675 Posts
My 2019 Touring allows different maintenance items to be selected as having been done, but have the others remain to continue counting down.

My B16 service code came up several thousand miles ago around 12000 miles or so with at least 80% remaining on the MM menu. I rotated the tires at 15000 miles, went into the MM menu on the driver's information display, and was able to reset JUST the #1 (tire rotation) code. The car since then displays just the B6 service counting down, now with 15% remaining. I could do the differential fluid exchange now and reset just the #6 code, and have the B code continue to count down. Or I could do the B (oil change, filter, inspections) and reset just that and have the #6 continue to count down.

I am not sure if previous year models allowed the owner to select specific items to reset as the 2019 and newer models do. The codes also don't wait to be displayed in the Maintenance minder until 15%, they show a lot earlier just to let you know what services will be coming up. I believe my B16 code came up with about 80% remaining in the MM menu.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hated these. They would leak. Or ooze oil laying around. I'd just use a can tapper. A large piercing and a small pierce on the opposite side as a vent. Make a funnel out of anything paper.
What he said, but I was "privileged" and Dad bought me a plastic funnel so it would be neater. Oil also poured very quickly from those spouts to add to fast mess on the motor of the old VW 411 wagons I got to help maintain.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got my oil changed at the dealer today, they said I needed to have my differential oil changed at 15,000 miles, I now have 20,000 miles on the car, and I questioned them about the maintenance minder, and why it didn't pop up to tell me I needed that done. They stumbled for an answer, and said it was up to me weather I waited for the maintanence light to come up, or just change it at 15,000 miles.
I have never had any of the maintenance reminders pop up yet, always change my oil at 5,000 miles. Should I go by the dealers, or go by the maintenance minder, I'm thinking the maintenance minder would be more the one to believe? i know the dealers would love to have you get things done as often as possible, but I just want to keep my warranty good. What do any of you think?
So if you go to the doctor and he tells you to medicine for your heart you wont?
why don’t you try looking in your owners manual to see what services you need instead of coming here to complain

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
I am not sure if previous year models allowed the owner to select specific items to reset as the 2019 and newer models do.
Checking older owner's manuals, it appears that the capability to reset specific items individually on the MM was introduced for the 2019MY.
Prior to then, it was all or nothing.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Unless you let the oil life go down to 15% or less, you won't get the notifications from the maintenance minder about the other service items that may be due.

Your warranty may no longer be "good" if you didn't follow all of the recommend maintenance that would have been shown on the maintenance minder, if it had been used as intended.
Is this true for transmission fluid too? If I get my transmission fluid replaced early, I don't want it to mess with the other things on the MM.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,949 Posts
Is this true for transmission fluid too? If I get my transmission fluid replaced early, I don't want it to mess with the other things on the MM.
If you are following the MM on a new vehicle why would you change the transmission fluid early?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts