Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my oil changed at the dealer today, they said I needed to have my differential oil changed at 15,000 miles, I now have 20,000 miles on the car, and I questioned them about the maintenance minder, and why it didn't pop up to tell me I needed that done. They stumbled for an answer, and said it was up to me weather I waited for the maintanence light to come up, or just change it at 15,000 miles.
I have never had any of the maintenance reminders pop up yet, always change my oil at 5,000 miles. Should I go by the dealers, or go by the maintenance minder, I'm thinking the maintenance minder would be more the one to believe? i know the dealers would love to have you get things done as often as possible, but I just want to keep my warranty good. What do any of you think?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve got 102K on my 2016 Pilot Elite and I’ve always followed the Maintenance Minders. I think that’s the way to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got my oil changed at the dealer today, they said I needed to have my differential oil changed at 15,000 miles, I now have 20,000 miles on the car, and I questioned them about the maintenance minder, and why it didn't pop up to tell me I needed that done. They stumbled for an answer, and said it was up to me weather I waited for the maintanence light to come up, or just change it at 15,000 miles.
I have never had any of the maintenance reminders pop up yet, always change my oil at 5,000 miles. Should I go by the dealers, or go by the maintenance minder, I'm thinking the maintenance minder would be more the one to believe? i know the dealers would love to have you get things done as often as possible, but I just want to keep my warranty good. What do any of you think?
I ran into the exact same thing with my 2017 pilot at my local dealer. There seems to be confusion about the rear diff for whatever reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ran into the exact same thing with my 2017 pilot at my local dealer. There seems to be confusion about the rear diff for whatever reason.
Interestingly - Maintenance minder didn't indicate I needed coolant flush, transmission and brake fluid exchanged either. I just hit 80k on my PIlot so those should have been indicated at 60k.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Unless you let the oil life go down to 15% or less, you won't get the notifications from the maintenance minder about the other service items that may be due.

Your warranty may no longer be "good" if you didn't follow all of the recommend maintenance that would have been shown on the maintenance minder, if it had been used as intended.

Going forward, if you plan to do oil changes every 5K miles, instead of as the maintenance minder indicates, you could try either of these approaches.
1) Do an "extra" oil change at 50% oil life - but don't reset the maintenance minder.
Then, when the oil life reaches 5% or less, do the scheduled oil change - plus whatever additional service is indicated by the maintenance minder - and only then reset the maintenance minder.
2) Keep doing the oil changes every 5K miles, but also do a "forced retrieval"of the maintenance minder codes to find out what else might need to be done:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yep, sounds like the VTM4 code was ready to be displayed, but you did an early oil change, then reset the MM prematurely. Typically, the first VTM4 change code will trigger at the 2nd oil change interval around 15K or so. So the dealer is probably right about your needing it done about now.

To work properly, you have to let the MM system get to 15% oil life or you'll never see maintenance codes waiting to be displayed when you hit the oil change interval. Extra intermediate oil changes (probably unnecessary on the Pilot as the MM is pretty conservative on oil change intervals, especially if you're using synthetic) should be done without any resetting of the system.

Automatic transmission and coolant oil changes should trigger a MM code, but brake fluid changes are on calendar time (every 3 years) and since the MM system doesn't have a calendar time clock, you have to track this on your own.

- Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
...brake fluid changes are on calendar time (every 3 years) and since the MM system doesn't have a calendar time clock, you have to track this on your own.
Interesting. My Accord's MM let me know I needed to change the brake fluid at about the 2 year mark.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,923 Posts
If you follow the MM you will be fine and do the proper maintenance at the proper times you should be just fine. Engines and other components today are much different than what you grew up with, as are oil, ATF, differential fluids, etc.

When I was young oil changes were recommended ever 2000 miles. A few years later the recommendation was 3000 miles. A few years back that went to 5000 miles when synthetics came along. Synthetics have improved over the last few years, making them better for your engine and other mechanical parts.

Add to that the fact that mechanical components are manufactured to much tighter tolerances than the old days. The machining has also improved, motors, transmissions, differentials etc are all cleaner when they come out of the factory. There is still the initial wear that occurs, but less so than the old days. Hence the lack of a strict break-in period.

The reason for the 15K differential fluid change is to clean out the fluid used when the gearing in the differential wore themselves together. Unlike the engine and the transmission, differentials don't have a filters so the first fluid change is important.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle for several years/miles then you might want to prepare yourself for the 100K + service. It's a big one, plugs, timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment if needed. But if you look around the forum you will find lots of folks with 200k and even 300k on their Pilots.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Interesting. My Accord's MM let me know I needed to change the brake fluid at about the 2 year mark.
This is interesting. I thought these systems were more/less the same across Honda's vehicles, but apparently not. What year is your Accord? Does it track calendar time or infer brake fluid life from mileage? On my older Pilot (2006) the brake fluid change interval is three years.

- Mark

·
Registered
33 Posts
Find a decent Honda-derived maintenance-by-mileage schedule you trust and go by that. With the maintenance minder notifications somewhat controlled by human interaction (as noted above) I don't trust it to not miss required service items. I'd rather do a servicing early based on an older by-mileage chart than miss an item altogether and end up with a damaged diff or trans from old fluid because the maintenance minder didn't tell me to do it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is interesting. I thought these systems were more/less the same across Honda's vehicles, but apparently not. What year is your Accord? Does it track calendar time or infer brake fluid life from mileage? On my older Pilot (2006) the brake fluid change interval is three years.

- Mark
2018. Of course, it could also be remotely started with HondaLink. I was a little disappointed that the Pilot can't. I sold my Accord a few weeks ago and am finding a few odds and ends on the Pilot that, for whatever reason, aren't to the level of Honda's less expensive sedan.

No idea how it tracks the need to replace brake fluid, but I suspect it's a matter of time rather than mileage, as the car only has 12k miles on it but is 2.5 years old. Incidentally, I rolled my eyes and ignored that particular notification, as I found it a little ridiculous that Honda would push a brake fluid change that early.

·
Registered
10 Posts
According to this 30k is the time. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,923 Posts
So, after spin-on oil filters were introduced but before motor oil was packaged in plastic bottles.
Yep, but the first two vehicles I had, neither had spin on filters. Not until the VW bug did I have a spin on. I still have a couple of these lying around.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Yep, but the first two vehicles I had, neither had spin on filters. Not until the VW bug did I have a spin on. I still have a couple of these lying around.
View attachment 138587
Hated these. They would leak. Or oze oil laying around. I'd just use a can tapper. A large piercing and a small pierce on the opposite side as a vent. Make a funnel out of anything paper.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts