Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of last August, I purchase my new 2020 pilot touring. Last week I received a text message from my dealership’s service center. In it, they said that maintenance was now required and to make an appointment. However, I looked at my maintenance minder and there was still 40% left on the oil life, and I just have a tad over 5000 miles. Oh, and there was an A next to that percentage too. My question is do I change the oil now or wait until maintenance minder gets down to 10 or 15%, or when it says to be changed?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
301 Posts
You should be able to wait but your dealer sounds like they stick to the very wrong 5K mile change interval. The MM calculates how you drive and if not doing short trips with lots of stop and go and the temps have been all good etc it stretches the oil life out to the max interval. Now that being said this is the first oil change? then the MM comment applies after this as the engine break in time you need the oil changed at 5K, then you can stretch it. You need to get any crap out that happens as the engine/pistons etc bed in and seat. there can be fine metal particles produced you want out before they can cause you problems down the road.

·
Registered
301 Posts
should have Said the MM are smart but they don't know if you've had the first change or not so they just calculate as if it's standard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Maritime for your take on the situation. And yes, this will be the first oil change. I will take it in soon for the A oil service.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
Sorry Maritime, but I would have to respectfully disagree with you about an early oil change on a new Honda.

If memory serves me correctly Honda does a 15 minute engine test on each and every engine they install in their vehicles. All accept the Accura NSX, which gets a full factory break in of the motor. People who pay for an NSX don't want to putter around town at low speeds.

After the engine test the oil is drained and the motor refilled with a Honda break in oil. It's not recommended that the break-in oil be drained so soon. Keep in mind the oil filter is designed to trap and keep any particulates in the motor.

Honda does recommend paying special attention to your driving habits for the first 600 miles of your new Honda’s life, making sure to avoid full-throttle starts, rapid acceleration, and hard breaking. Brakes should be used extremely moderately for the first 200 miles of the vehicle’s life to ensure future performance and reliability.

In the old days with motors with looser tolerances and standard oil the recommendation was for an oil change at 50 miles, 100 miles 500 miles and 1000 miles, then following the tried and true 3 month or 3000 mile oil changes. Synthetic oil is much better than natural oil at doing its job.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Kool. Didnt know all that, i erred on the side of caution. Hell i use mobile 1 in my yaris and change it once a year at 20k miles 32k kms and that car has gone 368k km so far. I dont agree with the 5k oil change at all but for a new engine and first change, Id do it then change the intervals just because.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
I did to, even with my last Honda, a 2013 Pilot. I changed the oil at 500 miles and then followed the MM. The 2013 came with synthetic blend.

Traded it in for a 2020 Passport Touring AWD. It came with full synthetic oil.

The wife & I just didn't need the Pilot Touring. We hardly ever used the 3rd row seat and the entertainment rear seat DVD player was maybe used 4 or 5 times by the granddaughters the entire time I owned the vehicle. The Passport just fits us and our lives so much better than the Pilot.

We have a remarkable dealer here. Everyone talks to you once you buy a vehicle, even the service manager to explain things about your new vehicle and answer questions. They also have a monthly Honda Owners meeting. Mostly designed for new car owners but open to anyone who owns a Honda. They talk about the vehicles, maintenance, warranty, etc. Answer questions about issues, rumors etc. They aren't interested in just selling you a vehicle. They want to give you an excellent Honda experience which in turn makes for long term happy Honda owners.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
At the end of last August, I purchase my new 2020 pilot touring. Last week I received a text message from my dealership’s service center. In it, they said that maintenance was now required and to make an appointment. However, I looked at my maintenance minder and there was still 40% left on the oil life, and I just have a tad over 5000 miles. Oh, and there was an A next to that percentage too. My question is do I change the oil now or wait until maintenance minder gets down to 10 or 15%, or when it says to be changed?
The maintenance schedule used before the maintenance minder was introduced assumed an annual mileage of 15,000.
Oil changes, based upon "normal" driving conditions were recommended every 7,500 miles, which would be covered in 6 months time.

It's now been 6 months since you took delivery of you new Pilot, so the service department is speculating that you've traveled 7,500 miles and are about due for an oil change. Since they can't read the maintenance minder display in your vehicle remotely, they best they can do is guess when you're due for service based on elapsed time.

In any event, follow the maintenance minder and get the oil changed at any point between 15% and 0% oil life.
Note that from 15% to 6% oil life service is due "soon", while from 5% to 0% oil life service is due "now".
Based upon your usage so far, the 0% oil life should appear at about 8,300 miles.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I did to, even with my last Honda, a 2013 Pilot. I changed the oil at 500 miles and then followed the MM. The 2013 came with synthetic blend.

Traded it in for a 2020 Passport Touring AWD. It came with full synthetic oil.

The wife & I just didn't need the Pilot Touring. We hardly ever used the 3rd row seat and the entertainment rear seat DVD player was maybe used 4 or 5 times by the granddaughters the entire time I owned the vehicle. The Passport just fits us and our lives so much better than the Pilot.

We have a remarkable dealer here. Everyone talks to you once you buy a vehicle, even the service manager to explain things about your new vehicle and answer questions. They also have a monthly Honda Owners meeting. Mostly designed for new car owners but open to anyone who owns a Honda. They talk about the vehicles, maintenance, warranty, etc. Answer questions about issues, rumors etc. They aren't interested in just selling you a vehicle. They want to give you an excellent Honda experience which in turn makes for long term happy Honda owners.
Dealers can make or break you, I hate Nissan because of a dealer and their handling of issues. I'll never own another. I don't care for the newest pilots, they look like mini vans with a lift. the Passport on the other hand I really like it. I need the 3rd row seat right now but in 4-5 years I'll have one less kid and 5 seats will be enough so will look at pssibley a Passport then. I don't know why Honda made the Pilots look so bad when they could look like passports with a 3rd row.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The maintenance schedule used before the maintenance minder was introduced assumed an annual mileage of 15,000.
Oil changes, based upon "normal" driving conditions were recommended every 7,500 miles, which would be covered in 6 months time.

It's now been 6 months since you took delivery of you new Pilot, so the service department is speculating that you've travelling 7,500 miles and are about due for an oil change. Since they can't read the maintenance minder display in your vehicle remotely, they best they can do is guess when you're due for service based on elapsed time.

In any event, follow the maintenance minder and get the oil changed at any point between 15% and 0% oil life.
Note that from 15% to 6% oil life service is due "soon", while from 5% to 0% oil life service is due "now".
Based upon your usage so far, the 0% oil life should appear at about 8,300 miles.
Thanks for your input xGS! I will follow your advice.

·
Registered
144 Posts

It's now been 6 months since you took delivery of you new Pilot, so the service department is speculating that you've traveled 7,500 miles and are about due for an oil change. Since they can't read the maintenance minder display in your vehicle remotely, they best they can do is guess when you're due for service based on elapsed time.

Hmmm so when I have taken my other Hondas to minus 1000 then I guess the word would be "THEN" haha

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dealers can make or break you, I hate Nissan because of a dealer and their handling of issues. I'll never own another. I don't care for the newest pilots, they look like mini vans with a lift. the Passport on the other hand I really like it. I need the 3rd row seat right now but in 4-5 years I'll have one less kid and 5 seats will be enough so will look at pssibley a Passport then. I don't know why Honda made the Pilots look so bad when they could look like passports with a 3rd row.
Huh, I kinda like the Pilot. But to each his own. I guess maybe I would like a longer wheelbase for a more aggressive look but otherwise I like it

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L, 2017 Ridgeline RLT
24 Posts
Sad but I think our 2010 pilot was better looking than our 2019 Pilot.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Sad but I think our 2010 pilot was better looking than our 2019 Pilot.
Yep, loved my 2013 body style. The new Pilots remind me of the Oddesy with 10" cut out of the middle.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It looks like a jacked up mini van and all the othe suv/cuv on the market. I like the box on wheels, real truck look. That my opinion. I also hate the newest ridgelines. They look stupid as hell. Again my opinion. Some how the revamped passport that shares a shit ton with the new pilots and ridgelines doesnt look as dumb? Idk why but it looks more like a proper suv/truck than the others.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yep
It looks like a jacked up mini van and all the othe suv/cuv on the market. I like the box on wheels, real truck look. That my opinion. I also hate the newest ridgelines. They look stupid as hell. Again my opinion. Some how the revamped passport that shares a shit ton with the new pilots and ridgelines doesnt look as dumb? Idk why but it looks more like a proper suv/truck than the others.
Yep to each his own. I don't like the boxy utilitarian look of a Suburban or a GWagon or whatever

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
1 Posts
I am new to the Honda MM but I know that Subaru dealers who changed out oil early ended up eating the labor to replace engines as the break in additives were not in long enough to do their thing and there was an issue with excessive oil consumption that required engine changes. I would stay with the MM for oil changes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts