Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Piloteers,

I just got back from the local dealership (Canada) for scheduled service and spent the whole morning there...I had 1 maintenance code (#6) that meant anything to me, and my oil maintenance was at 10%....so I scheduled an oil & filter change, a AWD differential fluid change, and threw in a seasonal (winter) install.

A couple of things to share as a reminder that you should always check your invoice and also question Honda on the recommended service:
  • Discrepancy between HondaLink app prices for scheduling service: The price for #6 was $95 on my invoice, where as in the app it is listed as $75.99 for the same dealership. I questioned the service advisor and he changed it...no real explanation
  • Mysterious Maintenance Code #9 - Brake "Service Inspection": I believe this is a Honda Canada only thing...the service advisor explained to me that there was an additional code #9 (which never ever popped up) and recommended that I do brake servicing for $178. This is a 1-year old car with 22k km on it... BRAKE SERVICE??? I questioned him...and he relented saying it was an 'inspection' of my brakes. I told him "NO".
Help convince me that Maintenance Code #9 is more than just a 'money grab' by Honda Canada....

Also, does anyone have an actual Maintenance Schedule? I'm not loving this maintenance minder BS.

2019 Honda Pilot Black Edition

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
Well in the manual it lists what a sub number 9 means:

● Service front and rear brakes
● Check parking brake adjustment
● Inspect tie rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots
● Inspect suspension components
● Inspect driveshaft boots
● Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA®)
● Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
● Inspect exhaust system#
● Inspect fuel lines and connections#

Guess is depends on whether any of these are important to you or not. If you feel confident in doing those inspections yourself then there would be no reason for the dealer to do so.

As for brakes a lot depends on your driving habits. Brakes aren't like oil with a time, milage factor. They need to be changed depending on the thickness of the pads. Just like tire wear, brake wear is quite driver dependent. Did they tell you how much pad was left?

If you check your manual it explains the maintenance and want all of the codes mean.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Brake service is checking caliper pins and all that stuff. Probably more important if you live in a rusty area. Down here, its not a concern.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hello Fellow Piloteers,

I just got back from the local dealership (Canada) for scheduled service and spent the whole morning there...I had 1 maintenance code (#6) that meant anything to me, and my oil maintenance was at 10%....so I scheduled an oil & filter change, a AWD differential fluid change, and threw in a seasonal (winter) install.

A couple of things to share as a reminder that you should always check your invoice and also question Honda on the recommended service:
  • Discrepancy between HondaLink app prices for scheduling service: The price for #6 was $95 on my invoice, where as in the app it is listed as $75.99 for the same dealership. I questioned the service advisor and he changed it...no real explanation
  • Mysterious Maintenance Code #9 - Brake "Service Inspection": I believe this is a Honda Canada only thing...the service advisor explained to me that there was an additional code #9 (which never ever popped up) and recommended that I do brake servicing for $178. This is a 1-year old car with 22k km on it... BRAKE SERVICE??? I questioned him...and he relented saying it was an 'inspection' of my brakes. I told him "NO".
Help convince me that Maintenance Code #9 is more than just a 'money grab' by Honda Canada....

Also, does anyone have an actual Maintenance Schedule? I'm not loving this maintenance minder BS.

2019 Honda Pilot Black Edition
I think your dealer is just trying to get money out of you. I'm guessing the brake thing is a Canada only thing as you mentioned.

Seems like there is no number 9 maintenance minder code. I got this out of the owners manual. I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place, of if the Canadian manual is different.

Either way there's no reason you should have to pay almost $200 dollars just for an 'inspection'. The first event when they changed the price would be a huge red flag for me. That dealer that you went to is really sketchy and I'd never go back there again.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I use this as my guideline. It is pulled from the Gen 2 owners manual, but nearly everything is still applicable. Only major difference is the 9-speed transmission, which has longer service intervals and different fluid:

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
I think your dealer is just trying to get money out of you. I'm guessing the brake thing is a Canada only thing as you mentioned.
View attachment 141451
Seems like there is no number 9 maintenance minder code. I got this out of the owners manual. I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place, of if the Canadian manual is different.

Either way there's no reason you should have to pay almost $200 dollars just for an 'inspection'. The first event when they changed the price would be a huge red flag for me. That dealer that you went to is really sketchy and I'd never go back there again.
Turn the page. Here is the Canadian codes. 9 is the bottom one.

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
I use this as my guideline. It is pulled from the Gen 2 owners manual, but nearly everything is still applicable. Only major difference is the 9-speed transmission, which has longer service intervals and different fluid:

You realize that the PDF you posted is for 2010 -2015 Pilots, AKA Second Generation. OP has a Third Generation Pilot.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You realize that the PDF you posted is for 2010 -2015 Pilots, AKA Second Generation. OP has a Third Generation Pilot.
What am I missing?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just echoing what's already been said -- you don't have a MM problem, you have a dealer problem. It's typical for the dealer to try to tell you what they "recommend", but your car doesn't need anything beyond what the MM calls for.

The worst thing you can do is show up and ask the dealer what the code means, rather than knowing in advance and telling them what needs to be done. The minute you seem at all ignorant to what the codes mean, that just opens the door for upsells and unnecessary services.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My wife gets nervous once the minder comes on at 15% so I just change the oil and reset. I never knew about all this other crap. What bliss I have been in. I did the maintenance in due time on my own schedule and the crate is still rolling along with 215K miles.

·
Registered
846 Posts
In the "salt belt" the brake caliper pins can corrode and get stuck. This can lead to sticking brakes and poor performance. Honda dealers do in fact perform a "brake service" where the brake hardware including the pins, bolts, back of the brake pads, etc are cleaned, inspected, and then lubed to help prevent problems.

Living in the "salt belt" now I do inspect, clean, and lube those parts myself. Usually every year. When I lived in Texas there was no need in my opinion for it.

I have read on different forums that Canada does recommend this service be done during maintenance and is called for in MM code #9 as posted above. However, I can't find those statements right now, so take it with a grain of "salt!"

Brake Service at a Honda Dealership

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
My wife gets nervous once the minder comes on at 15% so I just change the oil and reset. I never knew about all this other crap. What bliss I have been in. I did the maintenance in due time on my own schedule and the crate is still rolling along with 215K miles.
Never read the owner's manual?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks... I’ve read this after a quick google search, and others have confirmed that Honda is charging $180 for simply 'inspecting my brakes'. My Pilot is only at 22k km...I've never owned a vehicle that required an inspection of the brakes after 22k km... plus, the Code #9 never showed up on the cluster panel, nor on my HondaLink app. I’m still calling BS.

The Service Advisor called it brake servicing at first, and when I asked what they'd he clarified and said it’s an inspection.

Turn the page. Here is the Canadian codes. 9 is the bottom one.

View attachment 141452

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agreed... I’m going to avoid that Honda dealership going forward.

Between the attempt to fleece me of a non existent Maintenance Minder code #9 (never showed on the cluster gauge panel / infotainment center, nor on the Honda link app), the 3.5 hour wait when I was told it’d take 1.5 hours, the inconsistent pricing on the invoice vs the app, and lastly the rude cashier who answered by saying, “ya ya ya ya ya...” ...I’ll go to the other nearby dealership.

Just echoing what's already been said -- you don't have a MM problem, you have a dealer problem. It's typical for the dealer to try to tell you what they "recommend", but your car doesn't need anything beyond what the MM calls for.

The worst thing you can do is show up and ask the dealer what the code means, rather than knowing in advance and telling them what needs to be done. The minute you seem at all ignorant to what the codes mean, that just opens the door for upsells and unnecessary services.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
You do know that MM stands for Money Maker right? That's why I have a little black book and keep track of everything there and try to do all my own maintenance. Also, once the MM is reset, all the history is gone.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
● As for brakes a lot depends on your driving habits. Brakes aren't like oil with a time, milage factor. They need to be changed depending on the thickness of the pads. Just like tire wear, brake wear is quite driver dependent. Did they tell you how much pad was left?
There is truth to your words, but at 22k km, there is just no way this vehicle needs $178 worth of brake work and/or inspection.

Reactions: JayQue and ys1219
1 - 20 of 60 Posts