Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I got a maintenance minder message "0169" which is for oil change, rotate tires, differential fluid replacement, and brake service. The quote from Honda dealers for this is quite high, the main mentions being brake service ($179!) and differential fluid replace ($79). My question is if we decline the service from Honda (to be done later), does it have any impact on warranty? The dealer did say it has an impact on warranty in the future for AWD and brakes.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
Skip the brake service. If I recall correctly, the brake service just means they check the slide pins and re lube everything if necessary. Brakes aren't typically covered by warranty anyways. Do everything else.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
Hi All - I got a maintenance minder message "0169" which is for oil change, rotate tires, differential fluid replacement, and brake service. The quote from Honda dealers for this is quite high, the main mentions being brake service ($179!) and differential fluid replace ($79). My question is if we decline the service from Honda (to be done later), does it have any impact on warranty? The dealer did say it has an impact on warranty in the future for AWD and brakes.
Year of vehicle and mileage would help.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I see you are in Canada, east or west coast? Brake service is a good idea if you live in Maritimes, salt brine they use now on our highways will cause calipers to freeze and stick and cost you a ton more in future. $179 is crap cost but if you can't do it yourself and live anywhere with salted roads, get it done. I service mine every fall and spring, takes 20 mins added to the wheel swap for winter/summer tires and all you need to do is clean them and re-grease all the moving parts well. I wasn't doing this on my CRV and after a really badly stuck rear caliper cost me $$ in new pads and rotors I started too. My mechanic I use for things I can't do myself said they were seeing a lot of that since they switched to a liquid brine salt on the Trans Canada. My wife is on that 3-5 days a week for an hour all winter and it kills the cars brakes and other stuff gets pretty crusty. Do the rear fluid, that isn't bad if you can't do yourself. The rear diffs on these things use a wet clutch system and old fluid stops protecting them and will cause them to wear way too fast. If you live in Vancouver or southern Ontario etc. Skip the brake service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see you are in Canada, east or west coast? Brake service is a good idea if you live in Maritimes, salt brine they use now on our highways will cause calipers to freeze and stick and cost you a ton more in future. $179 is crap cost but if you can't do it yourself and live anywhere with salted roads, get it done. I service mine every fall and spring, takes 20 mins added to the wheel swap for winter/summer tires and all you need to do is clean them and re-grease all the moving parts well. I wasn't doing this on my CRV and after a really badly stuck rear caliper cost me $$ in new pads and rotors I started too. My mechanic I use for things I can't do myself said they were seeing a lot of that since they switched to a liquid brine salt on the Trans Canada. My wife is on that 3-5 days a week for an hour all winter and it kills the cars brakes and other stuff gets pretty crusty. Do the rear fluid, that isn't bad if you can't do yourself. The rear diffs on these things use a wet clutch system and old fluid stops protecting them and will cause them to wear way too fast. If you live in Vancouver or southern Ontario etc. Skip the brake service.
Yes I actually am in Southern Ontario - Ottawa. I am thinking I might just pop by local mechanic that I know of, for the brake service (just a check up really), and pay $50 rather than $179 that Honda dealers are charging. And I'll get the rear differential done anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
Sorry - I have a Honda Pilot 2020 EX, and mileage is 18,000 KMs in about 10 months.
As for warranty, I can't tell you for sure as Canada and the US market are different. I will say that at that mileage and age, an Oil change, rear differential drain and fill and rotation are all called for and should be done. Prices for those seem normal.

As for the brakes, here brakes are part of a standard inspection when ever the vehicle is in the dealers shop. They do not charge for an inspection. In Canada apparently, as evidenced from some other threads, they quite possibly do charge for an inspection. If you have an independent mechanic inspect them for free or at least less than the dealer wants to charge you could, however I would make sure before hand that you confirm from Honda, not the dealer, that doing so will not affect your warranty. Do so in writing. Canadian and US warranty and implied warranty laws are different.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Agreed with Maritime, I do the brake service myself when swapping tires in spring and fall which I will be doing this weekend. Dealership in Canada does inspect brakes as part of an oil change but it's very basic as all they check is the wear on the pads and not the slid pins or calipers.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
The only time I service the calipers is when the pads are replaced and I have never had an issue with stuck calipers in all the years that I have been driving. I inspect the pads Spring and Fall when the winter tires are swapped out and if I notice uneven or excess wear then I would take some action. $179 is a cash grab by the dealer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts