Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our 2017 Pilot brand new in mid-March of 2017. It's my wife's primary vehicle, but she works from home so we don't put that many miles on it. It had its first and only maintenance appointment (oil change, tire rotation) in May 2018 with about 8,800 miles on it.

Since that time we've only driven about 4,000 miles more but it has had no further maintenance. In late July, we are taking a vacation to the Smoky Mountain region which I anticipate will add another 2,000-2,200 miles or so. Oil life at this time is 60% according to the Pilot's maintenance minder.

Given all of this, should I get the Pilot serviced before our vacation? Logically the answer is no since oil life is still at 60% and it's been driven relatively little. But despite its low mileage, it still hasn't been serviced in 13 months and I'm not sure I can ever de-program my brain (from rules of thumb like "oil change every 3,000 miles" or Honda's old maintenance schedule by mileage) to trust a maintenance minder.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,954 Posts
You might change out the engine air filter, verify tires, including the spare, are inflated correctly, and check fluid levels. If it were me I’d wait until the oil life percentage was a lot lower before bringing it in for service.

·
Banned
70 Posts
You could for peace of mind on such a long trip but realistically you'd just be wasting your money. I'd do as road2cycle mentions and just check all fluid levels/tire pressure before leaving and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oil should be changed whenever MM says so, or when it's 1 year old...whichever comes first. Since you changed in May of 2018, you were due in May of 2019.

Reactions: ls973800

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Change the oil and oil filter - but do not reset the maintenance minder/oil life display, since that will foul up the schedule for all of the other maintenance items.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
We bought our 2017 Pilot brand new in mid-March of 2017. It's my wife's primary vehicle, but she works from home so we don't put that many miles on it. It had its first and only maintenance appointment (oil change, tire rotation) in May 2018 with about 8,800 miles on it.

Since that time we've only driven about 4,000 miles more but it has had no further maintenance. In late July, we are taking a vacation to the Smoky Mountain region which I anticipate will add another 2,000-2,200 miles or so. Oil life at this time is 60% according to the Pilot's maintenance minder.

Given all of this, should I get the Pilot serviced before our vacation? Logically the answer is no since oil life is still at 60% and it's been driven relatively little. But despite its low mileage, it still hasn't been serviced in 13 months and I'm not sure I can ever de-program my brain (from rules of thumb like "oil change every 3,000 miles" or Honda's old maintenance schedule by mileage) to trust a maintenance minder.
Since it’s only had one oil change and it’s been a while, go ahead and change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts