Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new Pilot owner of an 04 with bad front bearings. I just received a pair of WJB wheel bearings (WB510011) from RockAuto and noticed that there is no magnetic ring on either side of the bearing like on every other car I've done bearing work on. Did I get bad parts, or is the car old enough to be back from an ancient time where there is no magnetic encoder ring on the bearing? I know there's an ABS sensor in the knuckle, so I'm assuming it picks up the wheel speed somehow even without a magnet?

·
Registered
135 Posts
The tone wheel is on the CV axle, not on the bearings on this car.
Let us know what you use to press out the bearing from the knuckle and the inner race off the hub. I'm interested.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I rented the bearing press kit from Autozone. Every other car I've done bearings on came with a pre-assembled hub-bearing unit that just bolted on, so this will be my first attempt at pressing bearings. If it doesn't come out on its own, I'll just take the knuckle off and to a local shop and have them press it out. The driver's side bearing is bad and howling really loud on the road. The passenger side is quiet, but the previous owner has been driving with one broken stud and a missing lug nut for a year, so I figure I'll just replace both since I've got all the tools rented. I had planned to do just bearings and hubs (new lug nuts too!) and the rotors and pads in this job but upon further examination decided to replace the calipers too, they're original and are just giant hunks of flaking rust now, so now I'll have all new everything! Hopefully that's all I need to do for awhile, everything else is in pretty good shape for its age.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts