Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Magellan,

HERE announces two new true automobile navigation systems to compete with Garmin's 26xx series. I don't see any availability date except for a reference to "before the Christmas buying season", and I don't see any prices. Magellan does have the benefit of the history and experience of the Hertz "Never Lost" system going for it.

Larry

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. It appears, from reference to an online dealer's site, that these products will be available November 5. The dealer's price for preordering the RoadMate 700 is $1199, and for the 500 it is $949. While I'm sure that these prices will eventually come down, the Garmin 2610 is available now for $780 from one online dealer, and may be slightly cheaper from others. My opinon is that the Magellans, while offering WAAS accuracy and refined "Never Lost" programming, are a bit pricey when compared with the 2610. The online specs for the less expensive RoadMate 500 don't indicate that there is any kind of a permanent base map in the unit. That is to say you may have to upload all map data to the unit that you want to see and route from, while the 2610 provides a permanent national base map.

Larry

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Hertz's current Neverlost system (it's great for a rental, of course). But I actually think the original was more intuitive and easier for inputting addresses (and IIRC had a larger screen, too).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anybody installed a Magellan RoadMate 700 in their Pilot yet?

If so, I would love to see a photo of your installation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay; nobody else has tried it. So, I went ahead and ordered a 700 and the kits.

As soon as I get it installed, I'll post photos and feedback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts