Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a used 2017 lx or ex. Anyone with lx or ex of any year have any regrets after they realized a certain trim had a certain feature that would of made you get it? I mean serious regrets, not wish lists if you win lottery.

For example, I think I want Android auto since I use my Google maps for navigation all the time, so that means I need 2017 ex or above I believe. But maybe if I got the lx , I wouldn't even think about Android auto. Wondering what other features people regret not having.

Or conversely, what feature made you get a higher trim that after using it, you realized is not good/worth it?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Thinking about getting a used 2017 lx or ex. Anyone with lx or ex of any year have any regrets after they realized a certain trim had a certain feature that would of made you get it? I mean serious regrets, not wish lists if you win lottery.

For example, I think I want Android auto since I use my Google maps for navigation all the time, so that means I need 2017 ex or above I believe. But maybe if I got the lx , I wouldn't even think about Android auto. Wondering what other features people regret not having.

Or conversely, what feature made you get a higher trim that after using it, you realized is not good/worth it?
Ex-L heated seats must have for Winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 EX
13 Posts
If you can go for the 2019 EX that's the one. We have one. Honda really added a lot to EX model for 2019. Have all the safety features & heated seats without the price. Were got ours under 30K OTD.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you can go for the 2019 EX that's the one. We have one. Honda really added a lot to EX model for 2019. Have all the safety features & heated seats without the price. Were got ours under 30K OTD.
I think the 2017 ex can come with Honda sending. Which brings up the question of whether any difference between Honda sending in 2017-2020.
But if I can get the 2019 new, 30k OTD, that's pretty close to price I'm seeing for 2017 ex AWD. How did you score that price? Is it AWD? Does that include extended warranty? I'll try to look for your post on the price paid thread.

·
Registered
2019 EX
13 Posts
We're down in South Florida so it's only FWD. We did get the Honda extended warranty. Were covered 8 years 120K. I think we bought at the rite time & it's dark blue and it's been sitting on dealer lot for 6 months we were told. We test drove it only had 7 miles so sales guy could had been telling the truth witch is shocking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
tough question... Assumes we have regrets. We have ONE because we bought the 2019 EXL AWD. If we went any higher, we would have had features that were low value to us.

i can reflect on "must haves" that really are "must haves" for us. They may not be for you. But they bring such a joy to using the vehicle. Everyone should get these unless for some reason they absolutely cannot.

Android Auto or Apple carplay. We are an Android Family. I can do everything from my phone in a safe manner. The biggest advantage is I can have the navigation map on the display, and/or I can put it on the turn by turn navigation instrument on the cluster. I cannot begin to tell you how much safer it is to drive that way. Reading texts is invaluable too... without putting a finger on my phone

Cross traffic warning system. Has a bird's eye view camera when backing out of a slot and I can see everything coming down either direction. Not just directly behind me. Unbelievably important.

I make the vehicle conform to me, and not the other way around. Memory for seats/mirrors is great.

As for any regrets, I wish we had front parking sensors. But we were unwilling to spend thousands more on the touring just for that one feature.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,938 Posts
Since you asked about any year we had this decision to make in 2005. The only additional feature offered on the EX, that my wife and I valued, was tinted windows. That was solved with an aftermarket film tint for $250 installed vs. $2250 of features we didn’t want. We have absolutely zero regrets going with the LX.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
My wife and I love our 2018 EX AWD. The EX is the best trim for your buck and we don’t regret not getting a higher trim. The EX comes with all the creature comforts plus the better exterior looks over the LX.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My wife and I love our 2018 EX AWD. The EX is the best trim for your buck and we don’t regret not getting a higher trim. The EX comes with all the creature comforts plus the better exterior looks over the LX.

Curious, what are the better exterior aspects when comparing EX with LX?

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
Curious, what are the better exterior aspects when comparing EX with LX?
Nicer rims, fog lights, body colored mirrors, and body colored door handles. The LX has different rims, black mirrors, and black door handles regardless of what color you buy the Pilot in.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wife drives an EX-L. We both like it. Apple Car Play is great for using GPS. We lucked out as it only became available in the 17's. It was not available in the 16's.

The one thing we both agree that we should have gotten and really want is memory seats. In her previous car, the seat position was good for me. I don't even remember moving it. It worked for both of us. The Pilot on the other hand, no way. I'm not fussy with blind spots, etc. I just want to be comfortable. And it sucks having to keep the moving the seat around. Now the 2019 EX-L's come with memory seating! Sounds crazy but I think I'd give up Car Play for memory seats.

Oh, and if you have kids then the electronic (button) controlled 2nd row seat fold/sliding is SUPER helpful.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Love my EX. The price increase for the EX-L was not worth it considering the options the EX-L comes with. We just didnt NEED any of that stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts

2019 Ex, wish I would have gone with a higher trim for leather interior, and needed black interior and only white exs have black interior so I'm stuck with white

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good discussion topic. I avoided regrets by going for the 2019 Touring. It has LED high and low headlights. That's good, because the color of the light is the same pure white from both. The lower trims are LED low, but non-LED (halogen?) high. That means the high is likely to be yellower than the low. I didn't want to mix two color temperatures.

A also avoided regrets by waiting for a 2019, with physical volume control knob), rather then the touch-screen slider of prior years.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I agree, great discussion topic.

If it were up to me, we would have gotten an EX. My wife insists on leather seats, so that starts me at the EX-L.

At the dealership, they had Touring-7 and Touring-8, and an Elite parked next to the EX-L we started looking at first. My wife asked the worst question. "What's the difference between this one (the EX-L) and those?" Once I saw the look on her face when the salesman explained the Touring over the EX-L (the hands-free tailgate set the hook), I figured my goose was cooked and we'd end up in a Touring.

Then, when he got to the Elite and mentioned the cooled seats I was done for. We're in Florida, so I get it. Now that we have it, I love it. I just don't like the payments.

Back in 2012, I also tried buying an EX-L but we ended up getting a CPO Touring for less than MSRP of an EX-L.

Our other vehicle is a midrange trim package and it has everything I need - AC, cruise, power windows/locks/seats, and remote start.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm thinking of an EX-L when I go to upgrade one of our CR-Vs, and it will probably be a used 2016 or 2017. My main reason for sticking to an EX-L at most is due to the ZF transmission in the higher models. (Aside from numerous bad reports of the ZF tranny in the Pilot, other manufacturers have issues with them also.) The Android Auto/head unit issues are not a big deal since I will be replacing it with an aftermarket head unit and substantially upgrading the sound system, and most of the top head units have Android Auto. Both of our CR-Vs are EX-Ls and other than having the usual age and wear problems (they are both '09s with ~150k miles), they are nice to drive. What I really wanted were either an Acura RDX or (preferably) MDX but surprisingly, the deal breakers there are that the head units are too integrated to be replaced with aftermarket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was deciding between Touring and EX-L RES but ended up with Touring 8P for below reasons.

Hands free trunk (very handy)
Better stereo
20” Alloy (Prefer touring wheel design over EXL)
9 Speed (my 2005 Lexus car was 6speed, preferred something more advanced after 14 years)
Full LED (Preferred LED look)
Front and back parking sensors (Never had them before but glad I have them now)

·
Registered
102 Posts
The audio system in the 2019 Pilot EX is very disappointing, really crap in fact. I don't know if it is better in other trim levels but I suggest you take the time to check it out before purchase.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts