Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a new 2013 Honda Pilot Touring 4wd with just over 500 miles. Twice now at a complete stop while waiting for a light to change, my Pilot has lurched forward. The 1st time, I thought someone rear ended me. Pedal is firm, with my foot on the brake. Keep thinking maybe I'm not putting enough pressure on the brake pedal. Anyone else experience this problem?

On a side note, I also have had extended starts occur (like it has a hard time starting) even with the flick method. But it does start on the 1st try everytime. I know this extended starting is considered normal from what I have read on other threads.

Thanks for any input, this is my 1st Honda and I'm hoping it will last a long time...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've experienced a similar "lurch" in my 2012 EXL 4WD. To me, it felt like when I was almost at a complete stop, the Pilot would downshift to a lower gear with enough throttle apparently still applied to require more braking force. In my case, I don't feel this is a safety issue, but if it was to the extent that I thought someone had rear-ended me, I'd take it in to have it examined.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Another factor might be bad gas - especially since you experience some degree of extended starting. Bad gas might cause the vehicle to start to stall at low idle when at a stop, causing the computer to momentarily increase the throttle to prevent the stall out. If this has happened across multiple tanks of gas, I'd try changing gas stations - and maybe toss a bottle of dry gas into your tank in case you have some moisture in there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds like the idle might be set too high.. i have experienced this before with another vehicle. The service tech made the mistake after tune-up.

Secondly, did you buy the vehicle 'new' with few miles or you bought it 'new' with a few hundred miles on the odometer.....

Just to rule out that you wasn't dumped with another buyers problem 'new' car.

Mine has been problem free with 15k miles now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is brand new, bought it with 12 miles on it. Have glanced at the dash when it happened, rpms stayed the same, did not jump around. If it happens again, I'm going to connect my Obd2 bluetooth reader and record a log with Torque on my phone.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In that case, i would probably take it back to the dealers so they can log the error.
With intermittent issues like this, the service techs are very good at logging several hours of work and coming back with the dreaded quote 'cant reproduce' or 'can we keep your car overnight'.

Best of luck in tracking the pattern though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lurching experience

Thanks for the great info in this forum. My 2013 EX-L gave me a lurch last week in the snow. I was pulling straight into a parking space at a diner. There was ice on the pavement and the anti-lock brakes engaged. As I slowed to almost a stop, I felt a surge of power. Only by full pressure on the brakes was I able to overcome the lurching forward. After a few seconds it stopped. I tried to figure out if I could have had my foot on the gas and brake pedal at the same time and concluded, not. It has only happened once, but the lurching described in this thread sounds familiar.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Slipping at slow speeds on ice can feel a lot like a lurching forward (or back...). Speeds too low for the ABS to help much, all 4 wheels sliding, ABS can't tell that the car is still moving. Other option is that the ABS did actually kick in and relieve brake pressure for a moment in response to slipping.

The drive-by-wire "throttle" is held at closed/idle speed whenever the brake pedal is depressed, even a little. Try it sometime, foot on brake and a little throttle at the same time. Be sure to release the throttle completely before you let off the brake, or you'll get a serious lurch... Maybe this is what you sensed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a new 2013 Honda Pilot Touring 4wd with just over 500 miles. Twice now at a complete stop while waiting for a light to change, my Pilot has lurched forward. The 1st time, I thought someone rear ended me. Pedal is firm, with my foot on the brake. Keep thinking maybe I'm not putting enough pressure on the brake pedal. Anyone else experience this problem?

On a side note, I also have had extended starts occur (like it has a hard time starting) even with the flick method. But it does start on the 1st try everytime. I know this extended starting is considered normal from what I have read on other threads.

Thanks for any input, this is my 1st Honda and I'm hoping it will last a long time...

Realize this is an old post, But any chance on the fix on this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts