Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a problem with the lumbar support on the drivers seat? When I move the lever once to increase the support it feels as though it is working. Then when I move the lever again to add more support, the firmness is gone. It never allows me to adjust for the maxium support. The feature worked fine when the Pilot was new (6 months ago) but I haven't used it since. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
212 Posts
That is interesting...

When I 1st test drive an Accord, I notice that too.
It just I am driving Volvo that use a pumping action to pump the lumbar support. So I thought every car works the same.

I was wrong, the Honda just use level action, so the vertical position is min. for lumbar suuport, and the horizontal position is max. support, if you pump it you feel you lost the support.

It may not be you case, but happened to me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Since I am commenting on everything!

The engineer, person, employee, contractor, or whatever that designed the lumbar mechanism should be made to sit mormally in the seat, and work the lumbar lever a thousand times each day for his/her lifetime! My 2000 Acura 3.2 TL had this same setup and it is the most un-normal action and positioning I have ever seen. In fact, it was dangerous to try the adjustment while driving. In the Acura, the lever is blocked by the console. The one on the Pilot is almost useless compaired to my son's older GMC Jimmy that has a switch and compressor set up that you can operate with one finger. The Jimmy's adjustment is five times that of the Pilot. This attention to detail goes parallel with the provided coat hanger. BPILOT

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I had the seatback off the X last week and took a peek @ the lumbar support, which also IMO is useless. I could never get it to do anything. Like rpalermo, I tried the "pump" action to no avail, but just moving the lever to horizontal didn't seem to make much difference (actually, it made NO discernable difference) either.

Anyway, PChiu is correct -- horizontal is "fully deployed" and vertical is "recessed". The odd part is that the mechanism in the seatback travels at least 1" and possibly 2" for and aft when turning the lever. IMO the combination of the seat padding and seat heater element are too thick for that 2" of movement to be felt on your back -- my guess is that the padding just compresses and the seatback becomes a bit "firmer", but it sure doesn't inflate like some of those baloon-types the way you'd expect it would.

Makes no diff to me, personally, as I never use the lumbar adjustments in any of our cars. I'd rather Honda/Acura skipped it all together and credited me the $15 worth of parts they used; it would have the same functionality :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
TheWorm said:

Makes no diff to me, personally, as I never use the lumbar adjustments in any of our cars. I'd rather Honda/Acura skipped it all together and credited me the $15 worth of parts they used; it would have the same functionality :rolleyes:
Oh, I wish that Honda had put the lumbar support mechanism that I currently have in my Mustang! You press the "+" button and a compressor inflates a "bag" with air (like the Select Comfort mattress) and if you press the "-" button, it releases it! It is pretty nice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts