Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with overhead luggage holders please provide pics and brand/model. I have a 2017 pilot and am looking. Would like to hear pros and cons. Not sure what size I'll need. I had a thule 10yrs ago and liked it. Not sure if things have changed. I have the factory rack and crossbars.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Cons are...
Fear of not having things tied down good.
Something blows off.
Height restriction.
Rain getting things wet.
Bug guts.
Fuel economy.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got the factory rails and bars. Just cruising craigslist and looking at the clamshell luggage bins for sale. Some are close to 8ft long which seems excessive. Just wondering what size members have and if theyve had any problems with theirs

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
If you don't need to carry a whole lot, you could get a Spock coffin.

Spock approved!

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are what I was looking. Just not sure if things have changed in 10 years since I had mine. Sometimes brand quality can change. Yakima and thule seem to be the most popular

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I've got the factory rails and bars. Just cruising craigslist and looking at the clamshell luggage bins for sale. Some are close to 8ft long which seems excessive. Just wondering what size members have and if theyve had any problems with theirs
I would definitely want to see it first if buying used.
2 bars set with a 2 foot over hang on both ends should be plenty strong. The box itself will probably dictate where the crossbars go or if a 3rd bar is needed. Hopefully instructions for set up and use comes with what you buy.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
523 Posts
I have an old large Thule Evolution. It's 3' wide and 92" long. I used to use it often on my old Sequoia for skiing and scout camping trips. The problem with the Pilot is that the cross bars are not adjustable to be further apart and forward for it. I had when I was using old long straight ski's (197-205cm). everyone now is on shorter shaped skis so could use a shorter box but this is paid for long ago. I put it on for my son and his friends to go skiing in March. On the farthest forward setting it was still about 10" too long on the back and I couldn't open the tailgate more than 1/2 way or it might crack something on Pilot or box. Mine has metal bars reinforcing the front but there was a good 2ft plus hanging with no support over the sunroof. Most boxes aren't that high or wide so you need to decide what you will be using it for. Luggage might not fit in it. Weight is also a concern (vehicle center of gravity) and of course noise.

For scouts on Sequoia we used it for tents and duffel bags/packs. It gave us room for more people to sit or put bigger stuff like stoves/coolers in truck.

Thule Terrapin goes into trailer hitch that swings away, they also have one Transporter Combi. I don't like the look but it is an option and maybe better for some. ETrailer has other walled cargo baskets also.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
523 Posts
Thule box spacing this is a PDF download from Thule. It describes front spacing and what boxes will fit as a reference. I checked and on my 2019 EX-L with just the bars it's 55" front spacing with tailgate all the way up but that's touching.. Probably best confirm actual fit.

My current box still has room to slide on front openings but not on rear. I might drill holes to see about moving up more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts