Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having tire wear issues on my 07 Pilot with 208,000+ miles on it. Inspection of the lower control arm revealed cracked bushings. The ball joint taper came out fine as did the front bolt (horizontal). The rear bolt gave me fis from the get go. Heavy doses of PB Blaster the day before didn't help. the bolt unscrewed from the threads on the nut ok, but due to the rust inside the bushing sleeve, it was very hard to turn. It was squeaking like crazy, ...andvery had to turn. copious amounts of PB didn't help. I cut off the control arm from around the bushing, then cut the bushing into segments and removed the outside and most of the rubber.
Now I have to deal with the inner sleeve and the frozen bolt. I plan on cutting through both of them at the bottom and then pulling them out. Ihad to remove the rubber part so that my cutoff wheel would reach the inner bushing sleeve and bolt.
If I can't get it cut, I'll try a pipe wrench on the inner sleeve and see if I can spin it loose with an impact. An impact wouldn't work before because the rubber bushing absorbed all the impact since the bolt was rusty.
This has NOT been a fun project. What was supposed to take an hour has turned into a day and a half. Then when I finish the driver side, I have to do the passenger side. Gaaaa!
My advice? Try your bolts and see if they are able to be backed out and if they are, pull them out and coat them with anti-seize.
Automotive tire Human body Road surface Wood Grey
Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had an Accord with a frozen bolt on the rear suspension. I had taken it somewhere for a four wheel alignment and they broke the bolt. They provided a new arm and bolt at no cost.
I thought this was going to be easy because this Pilot "grew up" in TN and not the rust belt...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got it. I used 4 4-1/2 inch cutoff wheels in an angle grinder. Once I got all the outside metal off the bushing, I used an oscillating tool to shave off all the rubber. I'll be picking up 2 front and 2 rear bolts for the control arm tonight or tomorrow. They will be slathered with anti-seize. I don't want to EVER have to go through this again. Well, I still have to do the right side...
Id
Sleeve Automotive lighting Helmet Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Bumper

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Metal Electric blue

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Left side all complete. New bolts, coated with anti-seize. Reluctant to start on the passenger side, but it had to be done. I can't believe it! Piece of cake! All the bolts came right out! Should be done putting the new on shortly. Had to stop midday for about two hours as I was having low blood glucose levels.
On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in Ohio, I share your pain, stay away from the right rear control arm bolts....lol. Even with a 1000 ft-lb impact wrench
I live in Ohio, I share your pain, stay away from the right rear control arm bolts....lol. Even with a 1000 ft-lb impact wrench
Well, if they need replacing...
I have adjustable ones to put on and will do that sooner than later. There is very little rust as it's been in MN about one year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't need to borrow a grease gun. I have two - one for automotive wheel bearings and one for my boat trailer bearings (different grease). My question is; why didn't Mevotech put zerks on the ball joint on the front lower control arm?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts