Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering if anyone has been using this product on their pilot.? If anyone has any feedback im trying to prevent injector to be dirty . I dont want to replace them in the future.
Thank you

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I haven't tried Lucas yet but have used Royal Purple Max direct injector cleaner and also Seafoam. After the Seafoam treatment, I went all summer with no P0430 codes but started getting the occasional code recently so I tried the Royal Purple in the last couple of tanks. I have almost 60k on the original injectors and hoping to get a bit more out of them. No change in performance on fuel mileage with either of them though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank,
Because i never had any sort of code on my pilot yet(fingers crossed) but im trying to Prevent i did oil catch can and svcm and i think the last one would be the injector treatement. I got one gallon of that stuff i would add 150ml in empty gaz tank every what 3000km !? Im pretty sure this will help a little bit more if i want to keep the pilot long time. And because i have no warranty on it.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
On our 08 Pilot, now at 185K, original injectors. Stock motor, still using the VCM/ECO mode too.

I've rarely put this often thought to be 'snake oil' in this Pilot.

It probably does help, and could not see how it could hurt things either.

Yeah/naw- (Ozzyman Review term- YouTubes) it's probably a good thing long term for them.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Reactions: marcus

·
Registered
868 Posts
I agree that if your injectors are really carboned up, additives will not help and only physical removal and cleaning of the injectors will solve the issue. Top tier 87octane is the best as it does contain extra detergent to prevent carbon buildup. Some of the injector cleaners are just a more concentrated detergent formulation and they may still help if the carbon buildup is not too bad. If you are going to pull the injectors it is probably best just to replace them with new ones rather than trying to clean the old ones. The cost is probably pretty close as you have to replace all the seals anyway if you put the old ones back in. Especially true if you are not doing it yourself.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,849 Posts
If you want to clean injectors, BG has a pressurized injector/intake cleaning system that does an excellent job. Honda and most dealers shops also have similar systems. A good cleaning usually runs around $200-$250. Most good mechanic shops have one of these type systems.

From personal experience I can say the BG system works quite well. My PU truck has had the BG system used on it several times. The thing still runs like the day I bought it 19 years later.

Disclaimer: I live in the city where BG is based. Years ago I was fortunate enough to be invited to let my truck be used as a demonstration/teaching vehicle. When BG is either demonstrating their system(s) for large corporations or training technicians the will contact people on the list. They borrow a few vehicles for a day to use. My truck has had this service done about every 30K miles free of charge. It now has 125K on it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm wondering if these additives will be effective as a preventative measure. I had my injectors replaced under warranty less than a year ago at 60k miles, but what's to stop carbon buildup from getting to them in another 3-5 years? Is simply using Top Tier gas (which I do) good enough?

I'll probably run an injector cleaner additive before every oil change from here on out as a prevention measure. Maybe it won't help, but it probably won't hurt either. I'll most likely be out of the 10-year extended warranty coverage next time the injectors go.

·
Administrator
4,849 Posts
I'm wondering if these additives will be effective as a preventative measure. I had my injectors replaced under warranty less than a year ago at 60k miles, but what's to stop carbon buildup from getting to them in another 3-5 years? Is simply using Top Tier gas (which I do) good enough?

I'll probably run an injector cleaner additive before every oil change from here on out as a prevention measure. Maybe it won't help, but it probably won't hurt either. I'll most likely be out of the 10-year extended warranty coverage next time the injectors go.
Top Tier fuel and Top Tier fuel only. Best way to cheaply and easily take care of your engine.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you want to clean injectors, BG has a pressurized injector/intake cleaning system that does an excellent job. Honda and most dealers shops also have similar systems. A good cleaning usually runs around $200-$250. Most good mechanic shops have one of these type systems.

From personal experience I can say the BG system works quite well. My PU truck has had the BG system used on it several times. The thing still runs like the day I bought it 19 years later.

Disclaimer: I live in the city where BG is based. Years ago I was fortunate enough to be invited to let my truck be used as a demonstration/teaching vehicle. When BG is either demonstrating their system(s) for large corporations or training technicians the will contact people on the list. They borrow a few vehicles for a day to use. My truck has had this service done about every 30K miles free of charge. It now has 125K on it.
Your pickup truck probably doesn't have a GDI engine so the deposits on the nozzles wouldn't be really baked on. I wonder how many owners have used the BG system on a GDI engine. If it works, it is certainly more cost effective compared to removing the injectors for cleaning.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
578 Posts
I haven't tried Lucas yet but have used Royal Purple Max direct injector cleaner and also Seafoam. After the Seafoam treatment, I went all summer with no P0430 codes but started getting the occasional code recently so I tried the Royal Purple in the last couple of tanks. I have almost 60k on the original injectors and hoping to get a bit more out of them. No change in performance on fuel mileage with either of them though.
Did you simply spray these into the intake or did you use a vacuum line?

I bought Seafoam injection cleaner but haven't taken a look at where or how to spray it in.

·
Administrator
4,849 Posts
Your pickup truck probably doesn't have a GDI engine so the deposits on the nozzles wouldn't be really baked on. I wonder how many owners have used the BG system on a GDI engine. If it works, it is certainly more cost effective compared to removing the injectors for cleaning.
GDI injectors still work the same as induction injectors and are slightly recessed from the cylinder. BG and others have has a system specifically designed for these injectors as well. Best way to find out if it works is to find a mechanic that uses the BG system and give it a try.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Im wondering if anyone has been using this product on their pilot.? If anyone has any feedback im trying to prevent injector to be dirty . I dont want to replace them in the future.
Thank you
Honda says, "...debris from the high pressure pump or the fuel injector machining process can cause internal wear or clogging inside one or more injectors."

If the machining debris causes internal wear, nothing you pour into the fuel tank is going to restore metal that has worn away from the pintle inside the injector or its seat.

If the machining debris causes clogging, nothing you pour into the fuel tank is going to dissolve metal shavings that have accumulated inside the injector.

Dirty injectors are one thing - damaged injectors are another.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Honda says, "...debris from the high pressure pump or the fuel injector machining process can cause internal wear or clogging inside one or more injectors."

If the machining debris causes internal wear, nothing you pour into the fuel tank is going to restore metal that has worn away from the pintle inside the injector or its seat.

If the machining debris causes clogging, nothing you pour into the fuel tank is going to dissolve metal shavings that have accumulated inside the injector.

Dirty injectors are one thing - damaged injectors are another.
Totally agree. However, with the recent warranty extension to 10 years to cover injectors it makes me wonder if manufacturing debris is really the problem, or if it has been a carbon buildup issue all along. Wouldn't have Honda fixed the manufacturing defect by now? I guess we'll see if the warranty extension is expanded to cover 2017+ models.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
My pilot has 240k. Never any injector cleaner. I took the injectors out and they looked basically brand new. Don’t waste your money. These things are designed to run on gas, not cleaners.

Replacing an injector on these engines is super easy anyways. Why worry about this?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
My pilot has 240k. Never any injector cleaner. I took the injectors out and they looked basically brand new. Don’t waste your money. These things are designed to run on gas, not cleaners.

Replacing an injector on these engines is super easy anyways. Why worry about this?
My 08 is at 185K. It has probably had 2 little bottles of injector cleaner run thru it since it was new. I don't seek out 'Top Tier' gas either. I have no desire to even 'check' my injectors on the 08.

We now have a '15 Pilot also. They don't have any injector problems, no mentioned anyways. No recall for the 15? but yes for the 16? It runs fine also @ 65K miles. Not worried.

·
Registered
353 Posts
2015 and older Pilots had port injection which sprays fuel behind the intake valves to keep them clean. There's also no high pressure fuel pump which has been cited as one of the causes of injector failure and a source of a chirping sound at idle in some third generation Pilots.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts