Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,296 Posts
White lithium you say,. :) good cause I bought this the other day for the sun roof rails. I'll spray the s*** out of the wench ...
View attachment 148751
** Got a line on a OEM lug wrench,. picking up in the morning. Will snap pictures and update how it goes.
Why would you want to spray a hard working woman with lithium grease???? :LOL:

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
My experience with the white lithium grease is that it eventually attracts dust. The WD-40 silicone lubricant spray is for any moving parts in the spare tire hoist. Fluid Film is especially good for getting inside the rear bumper impact beam, where rust can stealthily build up if left untreated. And finally, removing the spare when getting the rustproofing service done ensures the entire undercarriage, no longer blocked by the spare, get the full benefit of the generous, gooey love spray.

A real lubemeister knows there's a dedicated lube for each specific use.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update:
After calling almost every wrecker around and dealing with pirate wreckers wanting $60-120 for a OEM lug wrench (these two wouldn't come down to $25 I stood at) I was about to order the Red Hound wrench off Amazon for about $45cnd Red Hound Auto 2001-2015 Compatible with Honda (Accord CRV Element Pilot) and Acura (MDX RDX) Spare Tire Tool Replacement Set Kit for Jack, Tire Repair Tools - Amazon Canada

Today we walked into a store with a lot of made in china goods and I saw the gator grip knock off socket with a socket wrench and drill adaptor for $10cnd. I thought, yeah why not worth a shot for $10. I figured if the winch is seized the socket would break or get stuck and I hammer it off or something.

When home I grabbed the pb blaster and sprayed some down into the mechanism just in case. 5 minutes later I gave it a try. The socket did slip a couple times and required lots of pressure downward to hold but I was able to crack it to start lowering the spare! Once started the socket did just fine as it was easy to turn the crank after that.

The cable looks like new and it's moving nicely so I'm happy to not need to spend to replace the winch too. I grabbed the white lithium grease and gave the cable a spray then cranked her up and down a couple times to give the wench a bit of a workout after who knows how long. Afterwards I realized I should have searched for my garage door lube like I said in another post here weeks ago... or maybe the RustCheck* rust inhibitor spray I have somewhere. Anyways it's done now and I'll be putting a full size spare back there in a couple weeks when I get tires.
The $10 socket set now has a home with the cheap lug wrench and scissor jack :)

@ImBroke Thanks again for the suggestion

·
Registered
9,292 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
330 Posts
You are welcome. I will keep an eye out for a lug wrench next time I hit the junkyard. Can't see it being $25, that's crazy pricing.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
330 Posts
Well, I went and found an 08 Pilot with no lug wrench, but I found an 05 with one. However, not compatible. Sorry, I tried. I will try to keep an eye out for another 06-08 next time I go.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts