Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Recently bought a second hand 2008 Pilot and noticed the spare tire change kit (jack and wrench) is missing. What other tools can be used to turn the 5point stem that lowers the spare? A 10mm socket almost fits, but doesn't grip the 5 point pattern.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,844 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You might get lucky with a standard socket instead of metric. Or perhaps hit up a junkyard to see if you can find the spare tire kit.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
On my 2004 Pilot I used a socket and ratchet then switched to my M12 Fuel cordless ratchet to lower the spare tire down without any issue. Select the best fitting socket for best results.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
A 21mm socket would work if the original tire wrench is used.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,297 Posts
Well with out a jack and handle with the proper socket for the Honda lug nuts, why would you need to lower the spare? If you can't jack up the vehicle and remove the flat, there's no reason to drop the spare. ;)

I would suggest that you get a jack of your choosing, I prefer bottle jacks to scissors jacks, and a tire wrench with a 21m socket and keep them in the vehicle.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
Remember that it's not the emergency jack's lug nut wrench bolt size that lowers the spare, but a smaller size one deeper inside it that does.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
BTW, like that your signature is a famous Latin-Canadian one. :)

Red Green

Thinking of adopting this one as mine:

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
For the 2016 and above, I know it's a smaller one. I think mine is either 14 or 15mm

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Remember that it's not the emergency jack's lug nut wrench bolt size that lowers the spare, but a smaller size one deeper inside it that does.
Yeah you got it right. Small 5 point male. I saw some vids of how to and it shows the smaller section inside the head of the OEM lug wrench.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for all the input!

I just tried again with the sockets and no luck. 10mm fits nice but won't bite the 5point, and 3/8 is too small 7/16 too large. Trying to attach a picture from my phone but a security error occurs.

I called a couple wreckers in the area which can't say for sure so I'll go for a drive next weekend and check them out.

I want to eventually put a full size spare under there. I have two extra oem rims with rubber. Need to find out if the cable pulley even works :) or seized like I read on other posts here.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
I want to eventually put a full size spare under there. I have two extra oem rims with rubber. Need to find out if the cable pulley even works :) or seized like I read on other posts here.
Full size spare is an excellent initiative. In my case the hoist was seized and I had to get a new one. I now lower and lube it up at least once a year, usually at the same time I put my snows on and go for rustproofing in the late fall.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,844 Posts
This is a great idea. What do you use as the lube?
I put Triflow Superior Lubricant on the cable the last time I had the spare lowered. You just don’t want a lubricant which will attract dust and gum up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I put Triflow Superior Lubricant on the cable the last time I had the spare lowered. You just don’t want a lubricant which will attract dust and gum up.
It sounds like my garage door lube would be a good choice too as that doesn't attract dust, dries well, and prevents rust.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
This is a great idea. What do you use as the lube?
A staggered combination of Fluid Film and removing the spare altogether when I go in for my yearly pre-winter rustproofing, so the whole exposed underside gets the full benefit of that love spray.

But all you really need is silicone lubricant spray.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,297 Posts
A staggered combination of Fluid Film and removing the spare altogether when I go in for my yearly pre-winter rustproofing, so the whole exposed underside gets the full benefit of that love spray.

But all you really need is silicone lubricant spray.

Okay, so if I understand you correctly, when YOU get YOUR yearly pre-winter rustproofing YOU are using WD40 so YOUR whole exposed underside gets the full benefit of that love spray? 🤣

This stuff works really well. A nice heavy duty lithium grease. They say it won't wash off and they are right.

Besides they are a nice Canadian Company.

·
Registered
57 Posts
White lithium you say,. :) good cause I bought this the other day for the sun roof rails. I'll spray the s*** out of the wench ...

** Got a line on a OEM lug wrench,. picking up in the morning. Will snap pictures and update how it goes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts