Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
My wife has an '11 Pilot which is in need of new rear shocks. I put it on the lift today and started with the passenger side. That took about 20 minutes to change that one. The drivers side literally kicked my butt! I have the bottom bolt half way out and that's as far as it will go. After 3 hours of cussing, and talking to myself, I finally gave up. What is the trick to getting that sucker out? it makes no sense that a straight bolt doesn't go through a straight hole. What could possibly be holding it up? The bottom of the shock is loose. If I hit the back of the bolt with a punch, it causes the bolt to bind up, but after a good turn, it becomes loose again. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I can't let one stupid bolt defeat me. Thanks in advance for your time!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds like the inner bushing is seized to the bolt. I would try to lower the pilot to the ground to help put pressure on it. You don't need a lift or even a jack to change the rear shocks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
When I replaced my shocks, I had the same experience. Passenger side was a breeze but the driver side would not budge. I ended up getting the bolt out as far as I could and then cutting it off. I was able to knock the bolt back in to the shock and then remove the shock. I made sure the replacement bolt was coated with an anti seize compound on the threads and the shaft before installing. It remains to be seen if I can remove this one without issues

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I told my wife to take it to her office mechanic and see what he could do. He got it out somehow. I didn't have a chance to talk to him to see what he did.
He did tell her he used vice grips, but that was all she remembered. I hope these shocks last til she trades the car! Hahaha

·
Registered
64 Posts
I told my wife to take it to her office mechanic and see what he could do. He got it out somehow. I didn't have a chance to talk to him to see what he did.
He did tell her he used vice grips, but that was all she remembered. I hope these shocks last til she trades the car! Hahaha
Sounds similar to me when the bolt was stuck on my TL.
I put a vice grip to the bolt and pulled out as far as I could then used a hammer against the vice grip to pull it the rest out.

Sounds like thats what he did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had the same issue today with the passenger side. Fought with it for 4 hours, trying breaker bars, air tools, and PB with no luck. Only got it out just enough to clear the end out of the steel frame. Had to saw the center and got the shock free. What is the size bolt you guys used for the replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had the same issue today with the passenger side. Fought with it for 4 hours, trying breaker bars, air tools, and PB with no luck. Only got it out just enough to clear the end out of the steel frame. Had to saw the center and got the shock free. What is the size bolt you guys used for the replacement.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
7 days gone by I hope your still not driving on that cut bolt

·
Registered
2 Posts
For my 2010 Honda Pilot Touring, I bought the following items:
  • A pair of Moog K750124 Stabilizer Bar Links @ $23.57 ea or $47.14 for two.
  • A Front Complete Quick Loaded Strut Spring Assembly Rear Shock Absorber Kit 4pc made by TRQ and sold by A1 Auto via Amazon. $320.95
  • I had NTB folks do the installation and alignment for me. I paid $570 for their service. I would have done the work myself, but I simply did not have the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts