Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been completing the 200K service on my 04 Pilot over the last couple of weekends.

Yesterday, I did the valve adjustment, spark plugs, EGR cleaning, and throttle body. I did discover the camshaft O ring by the EGR valve was leaking and replaced that.

When I went to remove cylinder 1 spark plug it was extremely tight but was able to get it out. When I took off the lower part of the intake to replace the gasket I noticed that compared to the others, that had a black coating of carbon, cylinder #1 had a brownish tint to it. (Forgot to take a picture.)

Has anyone experienced this before and would know the cause? I've attached a picture of the spark plug, you can tell there is some material in the threads compared to the others. The plugs had 110K on them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
Well, you got 110K out of them, which is pretty good, but that one does look pretty bad. Do you have pictures of the others for comparison?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's 1 -3 and 4 -6. They all look pretty similar, 4 has some oil on it. Like I mentioned the intake to #1 had a brownish tint where the others were all black with carbon.
IMG_3792[1].JPG
IMG_3793[1].JPG

Well, you got 110K out of them, which is pretty good, but that one does look pretty bad. Do you have pictures of the others for comparison?

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
I'd say good call on changing them out. They were due.:)

Let us know how it feels driving with the new ones. What brand are you getting? Careful of fakes on Amazon. RockAuto has NGK Iridiums you can trust. Don't forget your Piloteers 5% discount.

5% Discount Code: 3AE5CBE8F18A03
Expires: November 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased the NGK PZFR5F11 from RockAuto along with all my other parts. Took the Pilot out today and it runs like a brand new one! Hope to get another 215K out of it!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
How dirty was your EGR passages? 03-05's appear to have individual passages for the EGR gasses to flow down, eventually clogging up with carbon. #1 is one of the farthest ports away. Also how out of spec were the valves? Both those will play an impact on the spark plug and the temperatures in the cylinders. Cooler cylinder temperatures will result in more carbon formation, that's why the "italian tune up" exists 😄

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
04 Pilot with 200k miles.., Your plugs look great! Maybe change them sooner so the gap doesn't grow so large.

Reactions: Irish Pilot Mender

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The top cover of the intake with the "ant trails", as I call it, was not clogged at all like they were at 105K. The holes in the main intake had a little carbon build up but were open. The main opening down to the EGR valve was not that bad either. The valves in # 1 and overall were the typical tight exhaust and loose intake, but not out that much in my opinion. I had very little valve noise considering this was the first adjustment that had been done on it.

Those plugs had around 110K on them. Overall I thought they look OK, but yes definitely needed changing. I had an intermittent misfire that never threw a code so hopefully, all this work will stop that. Haven't experienced it in the short time I've driven it. It does purrs like a kitten now at idle at around 675 RPMs.

This was my first time ever doing major service with the timing belt and valves and although it took me two solid days it was worth it. I just couldn't see paying $1800 to my mechanic on a 16-year-old vehicle that has a book value of $2K. I ended up paying $320 for parts that I got from RockAuto. Now the hard part is to convince my wife to let me spend the $1500 I saved on something else!

·
Registered
9,250 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
To celebrate a good job well done and money saved, take her out to dinner, then don't forget to treat yourself to something nice. :)

Honda Fanboys / Fangirls must haves
Hahahah, reminds me of when my 91 accord got totaled out, once I got the insurance money, took my girlfriend (now wife) out to dinner and used the rest to fix the car, add an alarm, and replace the stereo.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Hahahah, reminds me of when my 91 accord got totaled out, once I got the insurance money, took my girlfriend (now wife) out to dinner and used the rest to fix the car, add an alarm, and replace the stereo.
Now there's a man who put on his thinking cap. (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts