Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that some vehicles they tell you to use new bolts for lower control arms (front). I had a 97 crv that I reused them no prob. My wife’s Ford Focus 2013 need new ones and the Chilton book says new bolts needed. What’s y’all’s thought

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
There is bit of room for debate as the FSM does state to use new bolts whenever replacing major components. For example I ordered new bolts when reinstalling the sub-frame for peace of mind of that critical suspension part. The original bolts looked okay after cleaning up some minor rust and probably would have been okay to reuse. Where I would be concerned are bolts that are designed for torque-to-yield which are usually one-time use bolts. Some bolts do get deformed when over tightened and could fail or break the next time they get rusted in and become difficult to remove. After struggling with broken bolts removing components I’ve become a big fan of anti-seize but one has to be mindful of its affect on final torque values as it is a lubricant. When I’m ready to replace my LCA I have new bolts on hand as they were not overly expensive.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I have heard that some vehicles they tell you to use new bolts for lower control arms (front). I had a 97 crv that I reused them no prob. My wife’s Ford Focus 2013 need new ones and the Chilton book says new bolts needed. What’s y’all’s thought
I live in a salt free simi-arid climate. I reuse chassis bolts all the time. Folks in the north with salted roads, ice and snow replace their bolts.

·
Registered
657 Posts
There is a service bulletin out on the Pilot's LCA bushings. Looking through the PDF, they specify replacing various bolts & nuts on the control arm & bracket.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I'd replace them... FSMs and TSBs don't usually call for replacing hardware which leads me to believe that for some reason the factory hardware should not be reused... found to corrode excessively, their torque specs put them in a torque to yield situation, etc.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
908 Posts
Belts and suspenders; suspension work has a higher life safety risk, so recommending replacement is the safe thing to do, not knowing the condition of the existing hardware (8 years in the Snow Belt). I live in the Sun Belt, so wouldn't hesitate to reuse suspension bolts that were otherwise in good visible condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts