Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Best to buy a new LCA that comes complete with all new bushings and ball joint. Basically two large bolts and the ball joint that won’t be reused. Check the selection at Rock Auto and plug in the 5% discount to help with the shipping. There are some u-tube videos to get a visual on the replacement.

·
Registered
570 Posts
How difficult level 1-10, 10 being timing belt job.
If you do the complete LCA as suggested, it's maybe a 4. It would be a 2 if you didn't have rust on the bolts, and if re-installing the LCA didn't require some juggling to get everything to line back up.

Don't bother replacing the bushings alone. Do consider doing the rest of the front suspension while you're in there. If the LCA bushings are gone, everything else is at least close.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
This is why Scotty Kilmer and I :) recommend a regular spritz with AT-205.

However, if you were unaware or failed to heed this sound advice and your bushings are too far gone, just replace the whole LCA, as mentioned above by members who know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 226k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 145k
126 Posts
I'm going to be doing mine this week. I bought this set on Amazon. Not sure of the quality, but at that price I could do it once a year and not really bat an eye at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
I noticed bushing for lower control arm on driver side is cracked and needs replacing, this is a 2005 Pilot. Anyone attempted to do this? How difficult level 1-10, 10 being timing belt job.
On initial inspection before I bought this was noticed. Mine look close to what I see in your pictures. I'm advised that if theres no pull or clunking that I can wait. But, they will need to be done if they clunk or alignment pull.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 205K mi
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scottie never pleases to amaze with his advice and handy drama. Thanks for the replies, weekend of toil awaits.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
I noticed bushing for lower control arm on driver side is cracked and needs replacing, this is a 2005 Pilot. Anyone attempted to do this? How difficult level 1-10, 10 being timing belt job.
If it drives OK, no unusual tire wear, no clucking, I'd wait!!

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
I've been eyeing the full front end kit. Unsure if extra linkage is needed?
One thing's for sure: that whole kit, which should be decent quality, is a way better deal at less than the cost of just one OEM LCA.

Plus you can add (or subtract, more precisely :)) the Piloteers 5% discount.

5% Discount Code: 6E3EAFAFB9DB15
Expires: August 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
71 Posts
Buy the control arm assembly. Change it yourself the first time in about 2 hours, 2nd time will take about an hour. Difficulty level I would put at 1-2. You do need a long prybar and a good sized hammer (2 or 3 pounder). Air tools make the job faster also. One trick I learned that saves a lot of time and frustration. Undo the nut, where the control arm attaches to the wheel assembly, a few turns. Drive around the yard or up and down the block while steering hard from side to side, brake hard, etc. Make the car rock back and forth a couple of times. This will pop the ball joint loose so you don't have to pound the pickle fork or worse have to red wrench it. Jack the car up, remove the wheel, undo the ball joint and move the wheel/strut assembly aside. Remove the 2 control arm bushing bolts, replace the control arm and reverse the process.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
71 Posts
I'm going to be doing mine this week. I bought this set on Amazon. Not sure of the quality, but at that price I could do it once a year and not really bat an eye at it.
I have been impressed with Delphi brand. Some of the cheap brands don't last.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is why Scotty Kilmer and I :) recommend a regular spritz with AT-205.

However, if you were unaware or failed to heed this sound advice and your bushings are too far gone, just replace the whole LCA, as mentioned above by members who know what they're talking about.
Scotty Kilmer is the best

·
Registered
10,234 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot Exl
3 Posts
I need to do this as well. I’ve gone through the struts, axles, sways and bushings and yet I’ve started to get a “up and down wobble” when maintaining any speed under 70. Love my pilot but man am I losing my mind! For anyone reading this pilots are AMAZING... Mine just had a lil vacation in a field for about a year before I got it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts