Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting low gas mileage. I'm reading about fellow pilot owners talking of 3000 rpms but hardly I see 2000 RPM when I'm 70 miles or over at 80 I see around 2500 rpms, all the times my pilot ride at 1000 to 1500 rpms up to 60 miles this is normal? some times I drive at 40 miles with 800 rpms something wrong I use to have an Accord 2000 allways 2500 rpms.

Can someone tell me if I'm right?

·
Registered
919 Posts
What you are seeing as far as revs go sounds about right. In fact, revving higher would actually consume more fuel. Do you drive mostly around town with stop and go traffic?

Chris

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm not sure if your RPM's are too low, lower RPM's means you are saving gas and getting better mileage. :29:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
most of the time I'm going around town, with half of tank I made 150 miles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
800 RPM at 40 MPH?

I have never seen 800 rpm except at idling. At 40 mph, the gauge shows around 1500 rpm. What is the normal RPM range?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Re: 800 RPM at 40 MPH?

ex0904 said:
I have never seen 800 rpm except at idling. At 40 mph, the gauge shows around 1500 rpm. What is the normal RPM range?
Sorry, didn't catch that one. That particular example does sound a bit off. The others sound right though.

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mileage should improve

I have kept precise fuel records since day one. Driving around the 'burbs we've gone from low 15's in the first 1,000 miles to high 17's now, at 4800 miles. This is with maybe 75% at 35 mph and 25% at 65 mph. Two weeks ago, on a 2-tank, 650-mile round trip to Connecticut, we got 22.5 and 22.1, which made my weekend!

·
Registered
30 Posts
One more thing...

I meant to add that I do see fairly low rpms, and 2,000 at 70 is dead on. Don't be afraid to put a little more foot into the accelerator if the engine feels like it's bogging down. This is a truck, but this engine is designed more like a high-revving Accord or Civic than a brute force Chevy big-block. An extra 1/4 inch on the pedal should kick it down a gear producing a rather intoxicating and smooth oompf, without winding it out. Remember that you have 5 gears to split that power up, and a downshift is a much smaller increment in engine speed than with a 3- or 4-speed. Coasting along on a flat, smooth 40mph road will probably take you into 5th gear, which would likely turn only 800 rpms. But much of a load on the engine should generate a downshift, and too little throttle will delay this. Use the gas pedal to tell your Pilot what you're doing!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I see the same - about 2500 at 80 MPH. I sit in Atlanta traffic everyday and am happy to get about 330 miles before I fill it up (right before the dummy light would come on)

It does change when I really have to gun it sometimes - sucks gas but any engine would

The Pilot does better on gas then the '99 Grand Cherokee I had for a couple years - averaged 10.4 - 13.0 MPG around town - and the Pilot seems quicker than the V8 I had in that thing!

One other thing that I love about the Pilot - the engine is soooo quiet compared to other trucks/SUVs I have owned or been in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RPM low.

thanks guys! I just got my 2004 Pilot yesterday and I was going to complain about the rpm reading really low. I thought that there is something wrong with the tachometer. i was coming home fromthe dealer yerterday and i notice that i was going 75mph and my tach is only reading 2000rpm. although, even running on low rpm, i can still see the comsumption on gas is high :( . but still loving my new suv.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts