Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a '19 Pilot (EX-L) with about 21k miles. First ~ 19-20k miles got very consistent 27/28 hwy MPG. In past 6 months or so, it's been stuck at 21.7. No change in travel pattern (same roads, buying gas at same places, etc.) Just had oil change done, no issues found, air filter looked good. Was told it might be winter gas mix - but this problem started before winter. Any suggestions on what to look for? Is mileage a warranty issue? TIA

·
Registered
2021 EX-L
24 Posts
Mileage isn't a warranty issue but can be an indicator of something on the car not working as designed. Have you checked your tires and pressures? Do you have any check engine lights or notice any abnormalities with the car? Added any accessories like a roof rack or bike rack that might change your aerodynamics?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mileage isn't a warranty issue but can be an indicator of something on the car not working as designed. Have you checked your tires and pressures? Do you have any check engine lights or notice any abnormalities with the car? Added any accessories like a roof rack or bike rack that might change your aerodynamics?
I checked the tire pressure, they are normal. No accessories or check engine light.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
I assume you're using the air conditioning whereas 5 months ago you probably weren't. That could have something to do with it.

It's really hard to solve this "problem" because we don't know how you drive, the terrain around you, etc. If you're going only off what the trip computer says, then that could be the problem as well. Especially if it's calculating the Avg. MPG for trip A which hasn't been reset for 10,000 miles, but then you happen to reset it back to 0, it would take a lot of driving for it to average back to 27-28MPG. (I hope this makes sense).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is the MPG the overall or for the individual trip? I think the Pilot shows the A & B trips and the last 2 or 3 starts as well.
You can always take it to an auto parts store and have them look at the OBDII codes. There may be some pending codes that are not serious enough to light the CEL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One one recent trip I manually reset the trip computer mileage, and it calculated a 27/28 MPG for that trip. I've never had to manually reset it - it always reset automatically when I filled up. I'm not sure if this behavior changed without me noticing over the past year, but I'll keep an eye on this in the future.

·
Registered
268 Posts
One one recent trip I manually reset the trip computer mileage, and it calculated a 27/28 MPG for that trip. I've never had to manually reset it - it always reset automatically when I filled up. I'm not sure if this behavior changed without me noticing over the past year, but I'll keep an eye on this in the future.
The trip meter default is manual reset. In the menu system, Settings->Vehicle-> Meter Setup-> Trip A (B) Reset Timing has an option to reset the trip meter at fill up. If you had the gauge cluster recall worked last fall it reset this option to the default “manual reset” selection.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did indeed have a gauge cluster recall done - this must be what happened to change the reset behavior. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts