Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a loud ticking noise when I start up my 2013 Pilot. It only lasts about 5 min. Does anyone know what that could be?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I have a loud ticking noise when I start up my 2013 Pilot. It only lasts about 5 min. Does anyone know what that could be?
It's really hard to say without hearing it. But the first thing that comes to my mind is a valve needing adjustment. This is just a wild guess.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
First thing to do is check all the spark plugs to make sure none of the plugs are loose. Second, could need a valve adjustment .
It's really hard to say without hearing it. But the first thing that comes to my mind is a valve needing adjustment. This is just a wild guess.
And it would disappear after 5 min.?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Sounds a little like an exhaust leak, like a manifold crack.

Grab a piece of rubber vacuum tubing that fits in your ear. The other end of the tubing is a handy noise-source probe that may help you isolate the source.

Exhaust manifold cracks are interesting, as they may close up when they heat up some. Sometimes a little welding will temporarily solve the symptom, but the permanent remedy is replacement.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
That's sounds like a failing timing belt tensioner. You likely need a timing belt job.
I would not run the vehicle. If the belt breaks, the engine is toast.

Reactions: 311042

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's honestly what I thought it was, but wanted to see what you all thought. I haven't replaced the timing belt yet, looks like I'll be having that done this weekend. Thank you so so much!!

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
That's honestly what I thought it was, but wanted to see what you all thought. I haven't replaced the timing belt yet, looks like I'll be having that done this weekend. Thank you so so much!!
Glad to help.
I highly recommend the Genuie Aisin Timing Belt Water Pump Kit (TKH002).

There's a 5% off discount code on this website.

Reactions: briantii
1 - 15 of 15 Posts