Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife lost her set of keys the other day. So, I had the chore of getting them replaced at my local dealer. Thank God that one was a 1995 Accord key without a chip...only $ 8.00 + tax.

The Pilot key cost me $ 26.02 + tax for the key & the cutting. I could deal with that. Then they wanted $ 75.00 to program the key. That's 1 hour of labor. After I talked to the Service Manager, he programmed it for free. I couldn't believe that they wanted 1 hour for that. He said that it the dealer charges at least $ 60.00 to connect the diagnostic computer and that Honda holds them to a standard 120% billable rate.

BTW, I had all 3 keys reprogrammed completely just in case someone found the key & had a brilliant idea of stealing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
SteveLuman,

Those Pilot keys can be expensive. It's good to see you you got the key at a lower price. Reprogramming all your keys was also a good idea. Just incase the person finding it knows where it came from.

You did check your sofa for the keys didn't you? I've lost mine keys in my sofa a few times. :3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
SteveLuman: You ain't kidding, my friend... A week after I picked up my Pilot, I wanted a spare key made and almost $#1T in my pants when the service advisor told me how much it would cost... <img src="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kemosabe/smilies/smile-mad.gif">

I still had the spare key made, but as I left the service department, they may have heard my wife mutter <img src="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kemosabe/smilies/eatme.gif">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
SteveLuman said:
He said that it the dealer charges at least $ 60.00 to connect the diagnostic computer and that Honda holds them to a standard 120% billable rate.
Repeat after me;
"Lier Lier Pants on Fire!"

Tell him that you doubt Honda holds them to any billing standard for fear of being charged with price fixing.

Ask him why he was blaming Honda, when the issue is with him and/or the dealers business practices?

Then count the number of shades of red his face gets. :2: :2:

Whats the use of living if you can't have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Lost keys.

N_Jay said:


Repeat after me;
"Lier Lier Pants on Fire!"

Tell him that you doubt Honda holds them to any billing standard for fear of being charged with price fixing.

Ask him why he was blaming Honda, when the issue is with him and/or the dealers business practices?

Then count the number of shades of red his face gets. :2: :2:

Whats the use of living if you can't have fun!
I'll wait until he really pisses me off. He ended up giving me a brother-in-law deal...free. I can't argue with that. Just like buying the Pilot...have to wheel & deal to get resluts for the smallest things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hondacuraworld said:
We've got a machine here that can program chip-type keys without the need for hooking the vehicle up to the computer. We only charge $25 per key, but we need one of your keys to do it.
They told me that they could do that with the '03 Accord, but they didn't have the capability yet to do it with my Pilot at their location.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Anone cut open one of their keys yet?

I have a 2002 CR-V and am lurking in anticipation of buying a Pilot. Has anyone cut open their key yet? The reason I ask is to determine if I can do the Accord key/fob mod on my Pilot.

Definition of Accord key mod for CRV: Take a new, integrated Accord key/fob and have the key cut for the Pilot. Programming the integrated key/fob for the doors is the same process as the individual fobs. The trick is in the transponder chip embedded in the middle of the plastic. The accord transponder chip and the CRV are physically different so I had to sacrifice a regular CRV key to get the transponder chip to transplant into the Accord key/fob. Not hard, just annoying. If the transponder chips are the same between the Accord and the Pilot all you will have to do is a standard reprogram. If they aren't the same you have to start cutting........
The end result is worth the hassle though. An integrated, one piece Key/fob. Less junk flopping around in your pocket.

If you want blow by blow details you can access Martman's illistrated description at: http://www.hondasuv.com/crv/viewtopic.php?t=427


DH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Anone cut open one of their keys yet?

I have a 2002 CR-V and am lurking in anticipation of buying a Pilot. Has anyone cut open their key yet? The reason I ask is to determine if I can do the Accord key/fob mod on my Pilot.

Definition of Accord key mod for CRV: Take a new, integrated Accord key/fob and have the key cut for the Pilot. Programming the integrated key/fob for the doors is the same process as the individual fobs. The trick is in the transponder chip embedded in the middle of the plastic. The accord transponder chip and the CRV are physically different so I had to sacrifice a regular CRV key to get the transponder chip to transplant into the Accord key/fob. Not hard, just annoying. If the transponder chips are the same between the Accord and the Pilot all you will have to do is a standard reprogram. If they aren't the same you have to start cutting........
The end result is worth the hassle though. An integrated, one piece Key/fob. Less junk flopping around in your pocket.

If you want blow by blow details you can access Martman's illistrated description at: http://www.hondasuv.com/crv/viewtopic.php?t=427


DH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Anone cut open one of their keys yet?

dhowse said:
I have a 2002 CR-V and am lurking in anticipation of buying a Pilot. Has anyone cut open their key yet? The reason I ask is to determine if I can do the Accord key/fob mod on my Pilot.

Definition of Accord key mod for CRV: Take a new, integrated Accord key/fob and have the key cut for the Pilot. Programming the integrated key/fob for the doors is the same process as the individual fobs. The trick is in the transponder chip embedded in the middle of the plastic. The accord transponder chip and the CRV are physically different so I had to sacrifice a regular CRV key to get the transponder chip to transplant into the Accord key/fob. Not hard, just annoying. If the transponder chips are the same between the Accord and the Pilot all you will have to do is a standard reprogram. If they aren't the same you have to start cutting........
The end result is worth the hassle though. An integrated, one piece Key/fob. Less junk flopping around in your pocket.

If you want blow by blow details you can access Martman's illistrated description at: http://www.hondasuv.com/crv/viewtopic.php?t=427DH
It will not work. I was curious about this after reading the same thread a while back. (Pilot 03) I cut up my valet key and placed the transponder a new 2003 Accord key and had it cut to fit my Pilot. The key operates the locks and starts the vehicle fine. I even had it reprogrammed when I had my new key programmed.

The keyfob portion of the key will not work with the door locks of the Pilot. I tried numerous times to program it, but it appears to transmit at a different frequency than the Pilot's keyfob. So, now I have an expensive extra key that looks good but doesn't really work as I planned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
SteveLuman said:
My wife lost her set of keys the other day. So, I had the chore of getting them replaced at my local dealer. Thank God that one was a 1995 Accord key without a chip...only $ 8.00 + tax.

The Pilot key cost me $ 26.02 + tax for the key & the cutting. I could deal with that. Then they wanted $ 75.00 to program the key. That's 1 hour of labor. After I talked to the Service Manager, he programmed it for free. I couldn't believe that they wanted 1 hour for that. He said that it the dealer charges at least $ 60.00 to connect the diagnostic computer and that Honda holds them to a standard 120% billable rate.

BTW, I had all 3 keys reprogrammed completely just in case someone found the key & had a brilliant idea of stealing it.
Your spare key only cost you $26 ? The parts guy I talked to quoted me around $75 for a spare. I would pay $26 right now just to have a spare at home, but no way in h**l am I going to fork over $75 for a key that I hope I never need. Sounds like you got a great price on yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Anone cut open one of their keys yet?

SteveLuman said:

The keyfob portion of the key will not work with the door locks of the Pilot. I tried numerous times to program it, but it appears to transmit at a different frequency than the Pilot's keyfob. So, now I have an expensive extra key that looks good but doesn't really work as I planned.
You shoud have tested the remore first (or asked some one).
Honda seems to use at least 2 types of remote systems. The Accord and the CR-V are compatable, and the Pilot is different.
As for the rest of the cars, I do not know, but some one witha few hondas and some time on their hands could probably figure out which interchange and which do not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Keys have been found. Now I wish that I would have just added the new key to my system & not reprogrammed all. Catch 22 either way. At least I know that no one else has my keys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
Re: Update

SteveLuman said:
Keys have been found. Now I wish that I would have just added the new key to my system & not reprogrammed all. Catch 22 either way. At least I know that no one else has my keys.
Just catchin' up here... But glad to see you found the keys anyway! That in itself is a scary thing. WHO found them is what goes through my mind. :13:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Keys/fobs thoughts/question

I test drove an Accord with the integrated key/fob. I think I would be pressing the buttons inadvertently all the time while grasping the key. As it is, I sometimes just reach in my pocket for my keys and the car start honking in the garage.:3:

This is the first car I've had with a remote/fob. They don't seem very durable. What if they crap out? Are they expensive? Do you have to get them from Honda. Can you get a generic/after market remote and program it yourself from an existing one?

One nice bonus: The day I picked up the vehicle, the salesman handed me 3 keys (2 regular, 1 valet, plus the tag) and told me they're $80 ea. to replace. When I got home, I opened the glove compartment and there was a 4th key. Worth its weight in gold.

:2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Re: Keys/fobs thoughts/question

krygny said:
One nice bonus: The day I picked up the vehicle, the salesman handed me 3 keys (2 regular, 1 valet, plus the tag) and told me they're $80 ea. to replace. When I got home, I opened the glove compartment and there was a 4th key. Worth its weight in gold.

:2:
Interesting, facdtory ships with three keys, so who made the fourth and why????:eek: :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: Keys/fobs thoughts/question

N_Jay said:

Interesting, facdtory ships with three keys, so who made the fourth and why????:eek: :eek:
Don't know, don't care. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
kemosabe said:
SteveLuman: You ain't kidding, my friend... A week after I picked up my Pilot, I wanted a spare key made and almost $#1T in my pants when the service advisor told me how much it would cost... <img src="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kemosabe/smilies/smile-mad.gif">

I still had the spare key made, but as I left the service department, they may have heard my wife mutter <img src="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kemosabe/smilies/eatme.gif">
kemo, are you talking about the spare key besides the two you're supposed to get?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
RipRocK said:

kemo, are you talking about the spare key besides the two you're supposed to get?
RipRocK: Yes, in addition to the two regular keys and the valet key, I also had a third regular key made by the dealer, for a total of four keys (3 regular keys and 1 valet):
  1. 1 regular key (came with the car) -- mine
  2. 1 regular key (came with the car) -- wife
  3. 1 valet key (came with the car)
  4. 1 regular key (bought separately) -- spare
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top