Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my timing belt replaced and ever since the timing belt was replaced, the vehicle does not have the same power when I accelerate from a stop. I work at a car dealer and had a 2013 get traded in and when I drive that one, it is way faster. Could the timing be off by one or two teeth and not trip the engine light?

·
Registered
11,365 Posts
I had my timing belt replaced and ever since the timing belt was replaced, the vehicle does not have the same power when I accelerate from a stop. I work at a car dealer and had a 2013 get traded in and when I drive that one, it is way faster. Could the timing be off by one or two teeth and not trip the engine light?
Yes

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
^^ What NG said ^^ Since you had it done by someone, take it back to them and ask them to check the cam timing on both sides. It's easy enough to get it off by a tooth if the tech isn't paying close attention. One of the test steps after the belt is installed involves turning the engine through a few rotations by hand, and verifying that the index marks all line up correctly. Correcting a timing error is less than fun, but is a fraction of the work required to do the whole belt and pump change.

·
Registered
908 Posts
True that. I have done some digging lately as to how one of the cams could be off a tooth (7.5 degrees) and the PCM not notice and set the CEL. From what I can gather from the service manual, only the radiator side cam (Bank 2) has a cam sensor. The firewall side (Bank 1) cam position is not directly detected (it would appear). That back cam is also the easiest to get off a tooth, as it's difficult to look at dead on when doing the timing belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will post back once some initial checking has occurred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This makes sense. Would the engine still run pretty smooth just lack power and suck gas ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So as a conclusion to this problem. Turns out BOTH cams were retarded 1 tooth. Why no engine light was on, is beyond me. All marks line up now and car runs like a top. Off the line power and rolling power have all been restored. Next test will be a long trip I have planned for this weekend to see how the fuel mileage acts. Thank you all again for your help and guidance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts