Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,566 Posts
While I can understand the frustration keep in mimd that the vehicles in the article that are having the issues are the 1.5 turbo equipped vehicles, not the 3.5 J engines in the Pilot, Passport and Ridgeline. I look at the 1.5 turbo issue as the 787 Dreamliner of the Honda line. I have no concerns about flying on a 737.
I’m surprised Honda didn’t tell folks to cover the grill with a piece of cardboard to reduce airflow across the radiator. That might have worked better than their “fixes.”

And on a side note Honda should be ashamed of themselves for putting that go-cart engine into the new Accord. On the test drive I took a bit over a year ago the weight of the car plus me (no salesman) seemed too much for the engine. That was my first impression pulling out of the dealer’s lot onto a 35 mph road. I can only imagine how much worse it gets with three passengers and luggage.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Yes, and I figure it's as close as I'll ever get to an authentic Star Trek shuttlepod in my lifetime.

It should have HomeLink equipped with voice recognition so that you can open your garage door by saying "Open the pod bay doors, HAL".

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
How did you guess that's what I mumble every time I approach mine and reach up for any of all three buttons I've programmed for my one big garage door. It's always good to have a workaround in case the technology doesn't function as anticipated or has a mind of its own.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,822 Posts
I’m surprised Honda didn’t tell folks to cover the grill with a piece of cardboard to reduce airflow across the radiator. That might have worked better than their “fixes.”

And on a side note Honda should be ashamed of themselves for putting that go-cart engine into the new Accord. On the test drive I took a bit over a year ago the weight of the car plus me (no salesman) seemed too much for the engine. That was my first impression pulling out of the dealer’s lot onto a 35 mph road. I can only imagine how much worse it gets with three passengers and luggage.
I’m not surprised about the turblow. There are a lot of items that people want that make no sense in the practical world. Honda listened and now those that waned it are complaining. That often happens when you have Lamborghini tastes with A Yugo budget.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
I’m not surprised about the turblow. There are a lot of items that people want that make no sense in the practical world. Honda listened and now those that waned it are complaining. That often happens when you have Lamborghini tastes with A Yugo budget.
What was wanted was likely a turbo 3.5, not a turbo 1.5.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

I drove a new Sonata with the small turbo engine, specs similar to the Accord and an 8 speed auto. It acquitted itself very nicely, not nearly as well as our '08 Sonata V6 but it was way better than the old NA 4 cylinder versions. I have not driven the Accord so can't comment on how the CVT affects this but I have driven a CR-V 1.5T right after driving an '11 CR-V K24 5AT, the new one felt worlds quicker, especially on the highway.

What was wanted was likely a turbo 3.5, not a turbo 1.5.
I've always been a big fan of V6 compact crossovers. They get quite good mileage and are a riot to drive. The old Rav4 V6 comes to mind in particular. The Saturn Vue Redline had a J35 as well.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
and Emmissions is the reason you got the 1.5 instead of the 3.5
According to the EPA, a CR-V with the 1.5L turbo motor and a CVT gets essentially the same mpg as a RAV4 with a naturally-aspirated 2.5L and a conventional 8-speed transmission.
Where is the mpg/emissions gain?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
According to the EPA, a CR-V with the 1.5L turbo motor and a CVT gets essentially the same mpg as a RAV4 with a naturally-aspirated 2.5L and a conventional 8-speed transmission.
Where is the mpg/emissions gain?
Never said a thing about MPG. Emissions and MPG are not the same thing. They are linked in some ways but the 1.5 turbo burns cleaner but uses the same amount of fuel. Toyota use a different tech to get the emissions in line with the rules. VCM is for Emissions but does F all for the MPG as I get EXACTLY the same when it's off than when it is on. But if the Pilot is hooked to a sniffer and running on the big treadmill on ECO at the steady 50 MPH under 0 load I bet the emissions are great!

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Never said a thing about MPG. Emissions and MPG are not the same thing. They are linked in some ways but the 1.5 turbo burns cleaner but uses the same amount of fuel. Toyota use a different tech to get the emissions in line with the rules. VCM is for Emissions but does F all for the MPG as I get EXACTLY the same when it's off than when it is on. But if the Pilot is hooked to a sniffer and running on the big treadmill on ECO at the steady 50 MPH under 0 load I bet the emissions are great!
When you go shopping for a new vehicle, do you check to see to which EPA smog rating "bin" the vehicle has been certified?
Do any/many car shoppers do that, or do they just look at and compare the mpg ratings?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
When you go shopping for a new vehicle, do you check to see to which EPA smog rating "bin" the vehicle has been certified?
Do any/many car shoppers do that, or do they just look at and compare the mpg ratings?
I get your point. My point was the emissions are what are driving the crappy decisions they are making. Yes they need MPG and that's what we as consumers use to make buying decisions but how they meet the Smog side of things seems to be what is making stuff crappier and more expensive to fix etc.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
I get your point. My point was the emissions are what are driving the crappy decisions they are making. Yes they need MPG and that's what we as consumers use to make buying decisions but how they meet the Smog side of things seems to be what is making stuff crappier and more expensive to fix etc.
Somehow. you'd think that Honda wouldn't have to resort to certain more extreme measures to limit emissions, since they don't make any large vehicles with V8 engines whose emissions need to be offset on an overall fleet basis.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Somehow. you'd think that Honda wouldn't have to resort to certain more extreme measures to limit emissions, since they don't make any large vehicles with V8 engines whose emissions need to be offset on an overall fleet basis.
I know. I don't get it either. Toyota has more gas guzzlers in their lineup and they aren't doing the same stupid things.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Texas can't manage to produce enough electricity to heat homes in winter.
What happens when everyone tries to recharge their electric vehicles?

For new purchasers, Toyota has recently increased the length of the hybrid battery warranty to 10-years/150K-miles.
So, unless there is a major change in the price of replacement batteries, that effectively defines the term for which the vehicle is economical to own/repair. Beyond that point, if the battery fails, then the vehicle could essentially become worthless.
California can't make enough electricity either,but the Bullet Train will run on unicorn tears so we don't have to worry about sharing what little current we have with it.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts