Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Interesting and I'll counter it by saying my daughter owns a 2020 Honda CRV, lives in northern Minnesota and has no problem with the car being warm.
So Honda should be able to fix these ones and can't or won't. That's even worse.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As I see more and more of this kind of stuff I am loosing faith in Honda. I have owned soo many and never hesitate to recommend them as a go to brand. I no longer do that. I have a 79 GL1000 that is better built that my 2011 Pilot and my 2011 is better than the 2021 I am sure. They are going down hill so fast. I will find good used rigs until the electrics become affordable.

I've had terrific luck with my 2005 Pilot. I just dumped $2200 into it. Timing belt service,water pump,tensioners,one motor mount,lower crankseal, pan gasket,adjust valves,plugs, oil change,front swaybar bushings. All OEM parts. Finally found a competent shop. The owner used to be a Honda tech before he opened his own shop.
The trans has 215K on it with changes every 30K. miles The shop though wants to see me in 12.5 miles for trans service.
I'm going to replace it with a private party 2008 in the future. I don't want cylinder shutdown or the damn stop/start nonsense. We had a new Grand Cherokee Limited rental in FLA and it drove us nuts. There's plenty of low mileage 2nd gen Pilots in San Diego's CL.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
56 Posts
Half a century ago, my Dad had a SAAB with a tiny engine that could barely defrost the windows and keep the car warm in winter.
The car had a set of shutters that could be closed in front of the radiator air intake and SAAB sold an accessory electric windshield defroster that stuck to the windshield with suction cups and plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.
We kept a couple of blankets in the car for passengers.
We wondered how anyone managed to use the cars through a Scandinavian winter.

If you're done with Hondas, then do as Scotty says and only buy a Toyota or Lexus.
Scotty is a good mechanic but very biased. I won't even listen to this guy recommendations.
I owned a 2015 Corolla and it is a PoS car and seats compared to the 2008 civic is not even close. My wife wanted the corolla because of reliability and it was worst than my 2008 civic.
The corolla was traded in for the 2019 Pilot EXL AWD.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
If I could re-buy the 2000 Acura 1.6EL (Civic EX in USA) over and over again I would. It was the last of the double wishbone Hondas and was the most fun and reliable car we ever owned. I didn't even do the brakes on it until 144K miles (240K KM) and it was only traded because the AC compressor rusted and seized and my wife needed AC it was $3000 to fix and the car was worth $2500. It had 0 warranty issues and until the AC died, it had one brake job and oil changes and tires. lots of tires until I swapped the 15" low profiles to 14" tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As I see more and more of this kind of stuff I am loosing faith in Honda. I have owned soo many and never hesitate to recommend them as a go to brand. I no longer do that. I have a 79 GL1000 that is better built that my 2011 Pilot and my 2011 is better than the 2021 I am sure. They are going down hill so fast. I will find good used rigs until the electrics become affordable.

My 2011 Pilot is still better than any new Explorer I've owned but when my son's 2019 Pilot had to have fuel injectors replaced without assistance from Honda I too have lost faith in what used to be the premier brand.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i've driven my pilot less than 1000 miles so far this year,, mostly trips when i need to pick up inventory and need to utilize all 90' of cargo area plus the front seat. been driving the Kia Niro a lot and have learned to hypermile the crap out of it. get it up to speed,, back off on accelerator for 2 seconds and let the ICE shut off,, then can drive in EV mode for a while with super light pedal pressure as long as its level pavement. averaged 56.4mpg over 630 miles before my last refill... I also discovered amazon music, and the niro has carplay while the bluetooth sound on the '12 pilot SUCKS even though it has the touring trim stereo. i think i may be leaning towards a sorento hybrid if they make the top trim a little more toppier for next year. i really like the non-cvt hybrid trans.
Are you really comparing Carplay to bluetooth in a 2012 Pilot? I can't imagine why 9 year old technology wouldn't quite compare with new stuff.

I use Android Auto in my 2020 Pilot with Amazon Music. It sounds great.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
My 2011 Pilot is still better than any new Explorer I've owned but when my son's 2019 Pilot had to have fuel injectors replaced without assistance from Honda I too have lost faith in what used to be the premier brand.
this used to be a rare statement but I hear it over and over again lately.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
If I could re-buy the 2000 Acura 1.6EL (Civic EX in USA) over and over again I would. It was the last of the double wishbone Hondas and was the most fun and reliable car we ever owned.
Technically the 7th gen Accord ('07 was the last model year) was the last of the Honda sedans to receive double wishbone suspension. I had one and still look for a V6 6 speed sedan (what I consider the ultimate touring sedan), they were excellent handlers. Technically the new TLX has double wishbones again so I believe the next gen Accord will get it again as well.

Reactions: Maritime

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Technically the 7th gen Accord ('07 was the last model year) was the last of the Honda sedans to receive double wishbone suspension. I had one and still look for a V6 6 speed sedan (what I consider the ultimate touring sedan), they were excellent handlers. Technically the new TLX has double wishbones again so I believe the next gen Accord will get it again as well.
Ooh. Nice. I meant last civic. Not last Honda but I like they are going back. Struts never handle as good as the wishbones no matter what they do.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Ooh. Nice. I meant last civic. Not last Honda but I like they are going back. Struts never handle as good as the wishbones no matter what they do.
This is true on paper, but I implore you to drive an '06-'11 Si. 8,200 RPM with VTEC on intake and exhaust and they are so light and tossable. I had an '11 and it was an absolute hoot, I was just way too large to fit comfortably.

Reactions: Maritime

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
This is true on paper, but I implore you to drive an '06-'11 Si. 8,200 RPM with VTEC on intake and exhaust and they are so light and tossable. I had an '11 and it was an absolute hoot, I was just way too large to fit comfortably.
But put that drive train in the earlier model with good suspension upgrades and lookout LOL.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
the prank was VW changing it's name to "Volts" wagon. It was all over the news but apparently a joke. Made sense though as they are going 100% electric.
VW USA presently has no new hybrid vehicles for sale and the ID.4 full-electric is just coming to market.
They bet on "clean" diesel technology, in which they appeared to have a leg up on the competition, but lost heavily when it turned out to be a fraud.
It'll be interesting to see if they can bring anything unique to electric vehicles that would distinguish them from the competition.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
To which particular VW model are you referring?
All I see is mention of a marketing prank/joke.
the prank was VW changing it's name to "Volts" wagon. It was all over the news but apparently a joke. Made sense though as they are going 100% electric.
VW USA presently has no new hybrid vehicles for sale and the ID.4 full-electric is just coming to market.
They bet on "clean" diesel technology, in which they appeared to have a leg up on the competition, but lost heavily when it turned out to be a fraud.
It'll be interesting to see if they can bring anything unique to electric vehicles that would distinguish them from the competition.
VW is massive globally, and will give Tesla and other EV makers a run for their money if their born-again commitment to becoming exclusively EV turns out not to be a fraud/hoax/wishful thinking. That said, I haven't had the desire to get a VW since I drove a Rabbit in the early '80s (which was decent and fun back then).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Half a century ago, my Dad had a SAAB with a tiny engine that could barely defrost the windows and keep the car warm in winter.
The car had a set of shutters that could be closed in front of the radiator air intake and SAAB sold an accessory electric windshield defroster that stuck to the windshield with suction cups and plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.
We kept a couple of blankets in the car for passengers.
We wondered how anyone managed to use the cars through a Scandinavian winter.

If you're done with Hondas, then do as Scotty says and only buy a Toyota or Lexus.
Reminds me of the '55 VW Beetle I had when I was in the Army in Germany in the early 60s. Defrost? What defrost? My first wife had a blanket over her lap on many a cold weather drive with the car.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
It was sabotage, I tell you, sabotage! View attachment 147130

Remember how many times Elon swore Teslas couldn't combust or explode? Yet we've seen it too many times to count now... Apparently you want to be referred to as "some sort of meatbag" when they find bits and pieces of you over a 200' diameter debris field. Of course, I do trust Toyota way more than Tesla when it comes to making things safe but we humans have an interesting way of destroying things in ways manufacturers could have never predicted.
You would need a Semi to carry the energy equivalent of an 18 gallon tank of gasoline. That is the problem with Hydrogen: Fuel Energy Density.
OK, I'll hold out for water. It's long been rumored in the scientific community that it contains hydrogen and oxygen. :)

I don't watch a lot of hybrid/EV w/ REX/plug-in/whatever all the different types are videos but I do remember some of them saying the engines will cycle under certain conditions to keep everything lubricated and warm enough to be loaded when needed.
My Dell 7200dl laser printer, which is well over a decade old, employs this technology. I can hear it cycle at regular intervals throughout the day so the ink doesn't dry up and clog it.

OK, how about this. If Hyundai makes the Staria in a 4WD version, I'd import one. Coming from a 1996 Pontiac Transport, I'd feel as if I were in happy retro-futuristic familiar territory. :)

Hyundai's upcoming Staria van looks like it was beamed from the future

The Hyundai Staria is the coolest-looking minivan in years

Hyundai Staria shows us minivans are totally still cool

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
OK, how about this. If Hyundai makes the Staria in a 4WD version, I'd import one. Coming from a 1996 Pontiac Transport, I'd feel as if I were in happy retro-futuristic familiar territory. :)

Hyundai's upcoming Staria van looks like it was beamed from the future

The Hyundai Staria is the coolest-looking minivan in years

Hyundai Staria shows us minivans are totally still cool

Does it still look so cool when viewed from the side?
Imagine it with a few door dings.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Yes, and I figure it's as close as I'll ever get to an authentic Star Trek shuttlepod in my lifetime.

Could use some fender flares, though.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,566 Posts
Unless there's a major breakthrough in developing the charging infrastructure, the only way I'd ever consider going electric would be with a plug-in hybrid that has an ICE as a back-up.
I have my doubts I’ll be alive to see the day when there is sufficient infrastructure in place to support non-ICE vehicles.

Having a plug-in hybrid is nice since I don’t have range anxiety. That is one of the reasons I went with this type instead of a full EV.

To the OP’s point, the Clarity was unimpressive in many aspects which is why I didn’t end up getting a Honda this time around.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts