Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,323 Posts
Go back far enough and you can find crappy crash performance for any vehicle.
The 4runner hasn't been updated in that regard in years.
Here's how the current generation of the Pilot performs:

For me personally, crash ratings aren't a huge consideration when I'm making a vehicle purchase. I stay away from the well known unsafe vehicles but otherwise I don't spend much (if any) looking into it. I was unaware the 4Runner did so poorly in that area.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
15,886 Posts
Leasing has its advantages especially as technology is moving so quickly. Electric is coming in, and there are many people out there, who can go electric, as long as their other car is gas or hybrid For those longer trips.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
For me personally, crash ratings aren't a huge consideration when I'm making a vehicle purchase. I stay away from the well known unsafe vehicles but otherwise I don't spend much (if any) looking into it.
Crash ratings are probably less of concern if you've never been involved in a serious accident.
My 6-month-old Honda Accord (back when they were size of a present day Hyundai Accent/Kia Rio) was totaled when another driver ran their car through a red light.
Based on that early experience, I've shied away from compact vehicles and ones with relatively poor crash ratings.
I faired much better, in a subsequent accident in a larger vehicle, when another driver coming in the opposite direction made an illegal left turn directly in front of me.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Electric is coming in, and there are many people out there, who can go electric, as long as their other car is gas or hybrid For those longer trips.
Or, buy a plug-in hybrid while you let the charging infrastructure develop.
For example, a RAV4 Prime PHEV has an electric range of about 40 miles before the ICE takes over.
When I had a longer commute, that 40-mile range would have covered most of trip to the office and, if there was a charging facility there, then most of the drive home could have been on electric power, as well.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Given the 737 MAX disaster and the crazy long time it took them to figure out the rudder PCU issues... you may want to switch that to the 757 or 767. Just saying....
If you're interested in a 757, there's one with a VIP interior sitting at Stewart airport, but you'll need to find an engine for it - and maybe change the name on the exterior.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Holding out for hydrogen.
Remember how many times Elon swore Teslas couldn't combust or explode? Yet we've seen it too many times to count now... Apparently you want to be referred to as "some sort of meatbag" when they find bits and pieces of you over a 200' diameter debris field. Of course, I do trust Toyota way more than Tesla when it comes to making things safe but we humans have an interesting way of destroying things in ways manufacturers could have never predicted.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,323 Posts
When I can drive 400 miles and charge in less than 5 minutes, then I’ll consider electric. Right now, the convenience of gas is way higher with the mileage I drive.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Or, buy a plug-in hybrid while you let the charging infrastructure develop.
For example, a RAV4 Prime PHEV has an electric range of about 40 miles before the ICE takes over.
When I had a longer commute, that 40-mile range would have covered most of trip to the office and, if there was a charging facility there, then most of the drive home could have been on electric power, as well.
I agree with this and just recommended that very model to a co-worker looking to lease something. My only issue with them if I was to buy and high mile it like I do, what will it cost when the salt and the miles pile on it to keep it going. And what does the hardly ever running the gas side do to it? Short runs kills engines. If I could afford on though I could do my commute 100% electric 8 months of the year which would be cool.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you're interested in a 757, there's one with a VIP interior sitting at Stewart airport, but you'll need to find an engine for it - and maybe change the name on the exterior.
I'd be all over it if it weren't for all the gold interior bits. All airplanes need engines at some point so can't knock it for that.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
I agree with this and just recommended that very model to a co-worker looking to lease something. My only issue with them if I was to buy and high mile it like I do, what will it cost when the salt and the miles pile on it to keep it going. And what does the hardly ever running the gas side do to it? Short runs kills engines. If I could afford on though I could do my commute 100% electric 8 months of the year which would be cool.
Some whole-house backup generators are programmed to run the engine once a week, even if there hasn't been a power failure. Maybe some of the PHEVs are configured similarly?
Also, some of the PHEVs have a setting to conserve battery power by running the ICE, thus minimizing battery draw.
You could select that mode once a week, for example, to exercise the gas engine as well as consume some fuel so it doesn't go stale in the tank.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Some whole-house backup generators are programmed to run the engine once a week, even if there hasn't been a power failure. Maybe some of the PHEVs are configured similarly?
Also, some of the PHEVs have a setting to conserve battery power by running the ICE, thus minimizing battery draw.
You could select that mode once a week, for example, to exercise the gas engine as well as consume some fuel so it doesn't go stale in the tank.
I don't watch a lot of hybrid/EV w/ REX/plug-in/whatever all the different types are videos but I do remember some of them saying the engines will cycle under certain conditions to keep everything lubricated and warm enough to be loaded when needed.

I know some of the vehicles that use the electric motors for propulsion and the ICE is strictly for recharging the battery have a "maximum recovery" mode or similar that will run the engine to charge the batteries as much as possible. I drove a first gen Volt and it was really weird to be sitting a red light but the engine was turning at 3,000 or whatever rpm under the hood trying to charge the battery.

Also, using gas won't prevent what's in the tank from going stale. My recommendation to some buddies who live in the city and have this type of vehicle is to add Sta-Bil or something similar, that way they never have to worry about the fuel going bad. Now I could revise your statement to say it keeps just enough gas flowing through the fuel lines/injectors to keep things from gumming up, I can agree with that.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Also, using gas won't prevent what's in the tank from going stale. My recommendation to some buddies who live in the city and have this type of vehicle is to add Sta-Bil or something similar, that way they never have to worry about the fuel going bad. Now I could revise your statement to say it keeps just enough gas flowing through the fuel lines/injectors to keep things from gumming up, I can agree with that.
The idea is to run the engine periodically so that the gas in the tank gets used up before it goes stale.
Adding a fuel stabilizer would seem to be a given.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Love how so many fell for this. :p It was just plausible enough...

'Voltswagen' rebrand was marketing stunt

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Love how so many fell for this. :p It was just plausible enough...

'Voltswagen' rebrand was marketing stunt

Didn't want to start a new thread, eh?

·
Registered
135 Posts
i've driven my pilot less than 1000 miles so far this year,, mostly trips when i need to pick up inventory and need to utilize all 90' of cargo area plus the front seat. been driving the Kia Niro a lot and have learned to hypermile the crap out of it. get it up to speed,, back off on accelerator for 2 seconds and let the ICE shut off,, then can drive in EV mode for a while with super light pedal pressure as long as its level pavement. averaged 56.4mpg over 630 miles before my last refill... I also discovered amazon music, and the niro has carplay while the bluetooth sound on the '12 pilot SUCKS even though it has the touring trim stereo. i think i may be leaning towards a sorento hybrid if they make the top trim a little more toppier for next year. i really like the non-cvt hybrid trans.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
To which particular VW model are you referring?
All I see is mention of a marketing prank/joke.
the prank was VW changing it's name to "Volts" wagon. It was all over the news but apparently a joke. Made sense though as they are going 100% electric.

·
Registered
109 Posts
As I see more and more of this kind of stuff I am loosing faith in Honda. I have owned soo many and never hesitate to recommend them as a go to brand. I no longer do that. I have a 79 GL1000 that is better built that my 2011 Pilot and my 2011 is better than the 2021 I am sure. They are going down hill so fast. I will find good used rigs until the electrics become affordable.

Interesting and I'll counter it by saying my daughter owns a 2020 Honda CRV, lives in northern Minnesota and has no problem with the car being warm.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts