Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Honda Pilot EX with 2WD with 167,000 miles. I recently replace the front shock/spring assembly and sway bar links. I am also replacing this weekend the lower control arm assemblies. However, I notice that the steering wheel is loose; I can turn the wheel slightly without actually turning the vehicle. Does anyone have a good how-to video(s) on how to tighten up the steering wheel and correct this steering issue? It is very annoying.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I have a 2008 Honda Pilot EX with 2WD with 167,000 miles. I recently replace the front shock/spring assembly and sway bar links. I am also replacing this weekend the lower control arm assemblies. However, I notice that the steering wheel is loose; I can turn the wheel slightly without actually turning the vehicle. Does anyone have a good how-to video(s) on how to tighten up the steering wheel and correct this steering issue? It is very annoying.
I hate to say this because its an expensive repair (unless you do it yourself), but it's likely that you will need a new or remanufactured Rack and Pinion to solve this.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Was the steering wheel sloppy before you changed the struts or did it get sloppy after you changed the front shock/springs?

If it was sloppy before and still sloppy now I would start by checking your inner and outer tie rod ends on both sides. Have someone move the wheel while you watch for movement in the rod ends. The inner is kinda hard to see because it is covered by the dust boot. If the outer tie rods look good then you will need to remove the cable tie holding the dust boot to the rack. If the inner and outer both look good the next thing I would check is the universal joints in the steering shaft that connects the steering wheel to the rack - visible on the engine compartment side of the firewall. If all that looks tight then I am afraid the only thing left is the rack.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If it was loose before.... inner and outer tie rods ends should be checked first.

If it got loose after, then make sure the lower control arms to frame bolts are torqued properly, the strut is torqued properly, and that you got an alignment with proper toe set. Toe out of spec can cause wandering and lack of responsiveness.

Reactions: aggrex
1 - 4 of 4 Posts