Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone. I have a 2008 Pilot (well, my wife's, but whatever). We're moving up to Michigan from Florida, and I'm driving the Pilot up. Decided to do some maintenance, since I only know the history from 2015 and up.

Anyway, I changed the plugs, and on cylinder #4 (front left) the plug wasn't even finger tight. It came out without any resistance at all. Never had any obvious indication of an issue, but the plug was far dirtier than the others. Any concerns I should have? Could the ignition coil be damaged, or ready to go? First plug in the picture. Thanks.
PXL_20210218_182827454.jpg

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Howdy everyone. I have a 2008 Pilot (well, my wife's, but whatever). We're moving up to Michigan from Florida, and I'm driving the Pilot up. Decided to do some maintenance, since I only know the history from 2015 and up.

Anyway, I changed the plugs, and on cylinder #4 (front left) the plug wasn't even finger tight. It came out without any resistance at all. Never had any obvious indication of an issue, but the plug was far dirtier than the others. Any concerns I should have? Could the ignition coil be damaged, or ready to go? First plug in the picture. Thanks.
View attachment 145359
Looks like it was leaking and running a tad lean. But not enough to cause major damage. How did the new plug tighten up? Threads feel ok? Hopefully it didn't strip any threads or get too hot and it will be fine. At least, that's what I'm rooting for ya.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts

View attachment 145359
Yep, in reality, there is still enough 'seal' to get fairly good compression in the cylinder, as long as it had not unthreaded very much.
The problem can be a stripped Spark plug hole though.
Did it tighten up OK?
Yeah, naw, then don't worry.
Is it FWD, or 4WD?

The Front wheel drives also had the VCM in 08.
Your plugs all look pretty good.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Yes it definitely looks like it was leaking a little judging from the black carbon on the porcelain. Hopefully the new plugs torqued up to spec and the threads were ok on that cyl. I remember from the past that some of those squish gaskets on plugs required re-torquing after the engine had done a heat and cool cycle but I don't think it is required now. Maybe someone just missed torquing up that plug properly. I would also inspect that coil pack and boot closely for any damage though.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an AWD. The new plug threaded in just fine. I was worried about that, but it was no issue. I'll pull the coil again and take a look at the boot. Like I said, I never noticed anything, or got any DTC's, so hopefully a non-issue.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
It's an AWD. The new plug threaded in just fine. I was worried about that, but it was no issue. I'll pull the coil again and take a look at the boot. Like I said, I never noticed anything, or got any DTC's, so hopefully a non-issue.
If it ain't broke.....

And- you were blessed that IIRC, on 08, the 4WD's didn't have that blaspheme VCM! Lucky you!
My 08 FWD does- disabled now after 185k miles though.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
You're lucky it didn't back out. It happens. For some reason retorquing spark plugs to spec is, or should be, a maintenance item on these PIlots. Retorque to spec next service interval, to be sure.

Coil packs look OK?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lucky for you. My close friend got this 2014 Pilot AWD project we'll work on after we finished installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the current Wrangler project. The previous owner of the Pilot mentioned it had misfire issue. Hope it doesn't any major issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts