Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - My 2019 Pilot's shark fin antenna unfortunately got caught on my garage door when I was backing out recently and got banged up. I had a local body shop order and install a new OEM one. I just picked up the car and unfortunately the new one doesn't seem to be sealed to the roof very well. If I wiggle it side by side a gap opens up which would obviously allow water into the car (see the video below)

What I'd love to now from other Pilot owners - is this normal? I was thinking the shark fin would be tightly sealed on all sides and that I wouldn't be able to open a gap like this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up going back and forth with the shop that swapped out the antenna. They insist it's loose because they say my roof is bent (though it doesn't appear to be) and that there's nothing else they can do. It doesn't appear that water is getting in, I'm just worried it could.

Does anyone know how these antennas are attached? I opened it up myself to look and saw a screw going into a square metal looking bracket, but it seemed to float around inside the hole in the roof rather than securing itself solidly to the roof. Tightening the screw didn't help. I'm not sure if there's some missing piece.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
812 Posts
Threaten to reverse the charges on your credit card if they don't fix it. It shouldn't do that. When people make up those kinds of excuses it really gets me mad....

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it's the same as the 2017, then tightening the nut won't help as the nut shoulders against a stop at the end of the threaded portion. I thought mine felt loose as well and the torque spec seemed way too low, but I think that its just inherent in the design as it has to contour to the slight curve in the roof without distorting the panel. Notice the 2 inner sealing rings molded into the gasket material.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts