Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While washing 'el Pilote' this afternoon, I noticed that I was able to wiggle the rear spoiler. I was wondering if other Pilots have a little play in their spoilers, or are they attached securely. Would a few of you please give your spoilers a gentle tug and let me know how it feels.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes I noticed too, but I check the bolts their are tight so a live it alone

·
Registered
373 Posts
I thought mine was tight too.
When it was hot out it would rub up against the roof when I opened it. I had them check it and they found it was loose.
Strangely enough it seems to have stopped the metallic sound from the right rear wheel too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine was loose also. To me it seemed that most of the noise was coming from the center light when the spoiler and light would rub.

Just remember there is another nut in the center behind a black plug. I posted something about this 8 months ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
rear spoiler loose

My rear spoiler started crunching against the roof every time I opened the rear door. It would make a terrible sound. It was loose and then one day it fell off on the road. I can't believe this $30,000 car is dropping parts on the road. I feel like I'm driving an old ford!!
Now the dealer says my roof is bent and I need body work - what a pain! Thank goodness it is under warranty. It is 8 months old.

·
Registered
95 Posts
washing

I noticed the same thing when washing around the spoiler. My has more play in it than I thought was proper, but I haven't tried to adjust it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine's loose and on hot days it binds when the hatch opens all the way. I'll have to get them to look at it during my next visit.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I noticed while driving the other day a piece of black weatherstripping coming out between the glass and the spoiler, I tucked it back up in there. Then the next time I drive it, its hanging out again and it blew off. My spoiler does seem loose now wonder if that weatherstripping wedged between the two piece kept it from feeling loose?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Crack

I had mine crack during the Winter when the Ice build up between the roof and the spoiler when open it crack. Spoiler make of fiberglass and bring it back to the dealer they replace it for free.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For all those who live in HOT Climates, be aware that the roof spoiler will warp out of shape when sitting in the HOT sun for a while. Mine got so bad I finally couldn't open the rear hatch, for fear of breaking it or damaging the roof further!! This had happened before but never this severly. I took it to our Honda dealer right away and they said "It was common problem, especially with the dark colors" Mine is black on a white LX, so they are ordering me a new white one!! Supposedly HONDA is quite aware of this problem and will hopefully fabricate a different one (fiber glass!!!) or whatever will work properly!!! I finally had to wedge a 1/2' wood strip under the spoiler to get it to work at all (so far so good) It's really ironic, when I called the dealer back to give them my VIN# I was put on hold and was forced to listen to a message spouting off about HONDA'S quality engineering----HA!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
mountainman said:
For all those who live in HOT Climates, be aware that the roof spoiler will warp out of shape when sitting in the HOT sun for a while. Mine got so bad I finally couldn't open the rear hatch, for fear of breaking it or damaging the roof further!! This had happened before but never this severly. I took it to our Honda dealer right away and they said "It was common problem, especially with the dark colors" Mine is black on a white LX, so they are ordering me a new white one!! Supposedly HONDA is quite aware of this problem and will hopefully fabricate a different one (fiber glass!!!) or whatever will work properly!!! I finally had to wedge a 1/2' wood strip under the spoiler to get it to work at all (so far so good) It's really ironic, when I called the dealer back to give them my VIN# I was put on hold and was forced to listen to a message spouting off about HONDA'S quality engineering----HA!!!
i had mine replaced today. spoiler flew in middle of highway while service tech doing a test drive for another problem. service manager told me that honda is fully aware. i doubt if this is true because if honda is aware they should had already announced a recall or warning (at least). this a big time safety issue(flying spolier hitting another vehicle). do you agree? to fellow pilotters please check your rear spoiler if its attached properly.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
So, with the new spoiler,

how much play is there?

In other words, how tightly did the dealership bolt down the replacement spoiler?

I've got a little bit of play in mine (spoiler will rock a bit in an up / down direction) - but the crown nuts on the end seem to be on pretty tight (tested by finger tension).

I'm concerned about overtightening and possibly pulling the bolt heads through the spoiler.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: So, with the new spoiler,

sfhondapilot said:
how much play is there?

In other words, how tightly did the dealership bolt down the replacement spoiler?

I've got a little bit of play in mine (spoiler will rock a bit in an up / down direction) - but the crown nuts on the end seem to be on pretty tight (tested by finger tension).

I'm concerned about overtightening and possibly pulling the bolt heads through the spoiler.
My new spoiler does not have any "bit of play" like the way you described. Its pretty tight . Let dealer check for your own sake (remember the flying spoiler!). Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is on national back-order according to my dealership. Mine was so badly warped I couldn't even open my rear hatch. Right now I have to reach up with my hand and press it down so my rear hatch will open. It's especially fun because I just happen to be moving this week.
:(

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
docpilot: thanks for the reply. I'll try and remove the blind plug and check the attachments. Have a long trip planned in a week and I wouldn't want to have the spoiler fly away.

adjektiv: would it be easier to totally remove the spoiler?

·
Registered
620 Posts
ck55 said:
While washing 'el Pilote' this afternoon, I noticed that I was able to wiggle the rear spoiler. I was wondering if other Pilots have a little play in their spoilers, or are they attached securely. Would a few of you please give your spoilers a gentle tug and let me know how it feels.
After reading about this problem, I took mine to the dealer and asked them to tighten the spoiler. When they were done, the service rep told me that he didn't want to tighten the bolts too much as it might break the spoiler. It still feels a little loose...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: Re: Loose rear spoiler?

Jet-Pilot-64 said:
After reading about this problem, I took mine to the dealer and asked them top tighten the spoiler. When they were done, the service rep told me that he didn't want to tighten the bolts too much as it might break the spoiler. It still feels a little loose...
Yeah, over tightening could be just as fatal.

I wonder if some of the warped spoilers were just installed wrong (i.e., tightened down in the wrong manner, causing the spoiler to flex).

If yours is warped or binding, IMO it might be worth loosening the spoiler first, adjusting the position, and then snugging the bolts before tightening. {disclaimer} Of course this would be something you'd want the service shop to do in order to get the correct final torque on the bolts.

Although I only open the rear hatch about once a week, the temperatures here have been hitting over 100° and no problem with this black pilot. IMO, I think it might need to be already warped in order to bind when hot or cold.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My replacement spoiler is on national back order too. I can't open the hatch because it's warped so bad. It's frustrating when they can't even give you an approximate date:3:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Re: Loose rear spoiler?

Jet-Pilot-64 said:
After reading about this problem, I took mine to the dealer and asked them to tighten the spoiler. When they were done, the service rep told me that he didn't want to tighten the bolts too much as it might break the spoiler. It still feels a little loose...
My first spoiler felt the way you described. This one detached spontaneously while driving in a normal highway speed. Go to another service center, let them recheck it for you. If it breaks, there is always a warranty to back you up rather then flying in the middle of the highway or worse the spolier hitting your own dear pilot or another vehicle behind you. Remember to document this problem with the service center.

·
Registered
16 Posts
01r1 said:
My replacement spoiler is on national back order too. I can't open the hatch because it's warped so bad. It's frustrating when they can't even give you an approximate date:3:

The same reason the service manager told me but when I insisted that its their fault(tech was test driving when the rear spoiler flew), he made some call to WHOEVER(?), and right there and there, he assured me that they can get the spoiler within 7 days. I had mine replaced in a week. The back order reason is BS!:3: :3:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts