Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this loose plastic panel about two weeks after we took delivery of our Pilot. This plastic panel is the same panel that the electronic seat adjustment is located. It appears the plastic cracked around where the bolt is holding it in place. It also looks that there is a notch where it is inserted in the forward position of the bottom of the seat. However, reinserting the notch doesn't work because it is easily dislodged by normal driver activity of getting on and off the vehicle. Will have the dealer fix it when we take it in for 7K servicing, along with a stuck rear compartment latch. Minor irritations--hope they fix these things.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
loose plastic panel - photo

Went to the dealer for the 7500 mile checkup. The "service" light started blinking at 6800. They have the part "on order." Attached is a photo of the structural "anomaly."

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
This is a common problem on several 4X4 trucks. They set high in the air and people slide out rather climb out.
My buddy has replaced his 3 times on the passenger side due to his wife "sliding her fat a$$ out" (his words, not mine!!).

So if you're short and sliding out, that's what is causing this problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
booger said:
This is a common problem on several 4X4 trucks. They set high in the air and people slide out rather climb out.
My buddy has replaced his 3 times on the passenger side due to his wife "sliding her fat a$$ out" (his words, not mine!!).

Booger,

My wife drives the vehicle 95% of the time: I am not going to suggest that she is short (she is) and that she might be fat (she thinks she is -- but I'm not even going there ... ). But I agree, the sliding in and out thing might be a big part of the loose panel "threat matrix," but I would like to do some "analysis of variance" tests or even a simpler chi-square test to see if height is even a factor. However, I do not have enough samples to perform the test, hence currently the height as a factor in such anomalies would still be considered as anecdotal information. Nonetheless, I'm not sure if statistics will help me build a case (to my wife) for adding on a (fairly expensive) set of running boards.

Having said that, I would have expected Honda to have done a better job around this area.

I

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
booger said:

I slide my fat a$$ out, to the point where the seat cushion would touch the power control and cause the seat to lower, but that plastic section is still tight on mine. I popped the switch off, though, and just adjust the seat with the 3 buttons that are underneath. My point is that if the plastic would do that from "sliding out," mine would have done it months ago, and it has not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We had to have the plastic panel beneath the drivers seat replaced already, (the Pilot is only three month old) I definitely think it's from sliding out, I am short & heavy & I guess I'll start using the very expensive running boards my wife insisted on getting as one of our options along with the mud flaps & compass in the rear view mirror.:2:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
driver seat pop quiz

Sliding out vs. climbing out and loose plastic panels under the driver's seat -- match the driver's seat with the correct vehicle. Not exactly thread drift -- I think the plastic panel under the Pilot's driver's seat is prone to being undone. IMHO, the plastic panel under the CR-V (that my wife drove for about 57Kmiles) is of sturdier material and hasn't become undone after 63K miles -- despite her sliding out 99% of the time -- partly because the two rotary adjustments help to keep it in place.

1) 2002 Dodge Ram 15K miles 2) CUCV-Cargo or Troop M1008 63K 3) Ford 3910 Tractor 40K 4) John Deere Gator ??K 5) Ford Aerostar 100K 6) 1999 Honda CR-V 63K Answers: a4, b5, c3, d2, e1, f6

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
I just discovered the same problem in my 04. My daughter just started driving and I bet she slides out, since she is pretty short, though the passenger side she's ridden in for nearly 3 years looks good. I'm over 36K miles so I'm out of warranty. Is this a part I can order and install myself?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts