Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my OEM cross bars and I have a question...the ends pieces of the cross bars -- where it connects to the side rails -- are loose. There is a torx screw that looks like it could be tightened to firm up the end pieces, but are the end pieces supposed to be on the loose side (they jiggle when wiggled?) Is this jiggle supposed to be there to account for weight of objects placed on the cross bars? Should the end pieces be tightened up so the cross bars are stiff when installed so they don't rattle?

Here's a pic of what I'm referring to:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Nope, they shouldn't jiggle. Jiggle is only good for j-e-l-l-o.

Tighten them with a #30 torx.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you mean the 2 bolts underneath the bars, yes, i do notice that parts jiggle or at least i know it can move forward or backward before you install the cross bar with the side for allignment.
So i left it loose but i do notice i've to pull the cross bar a tad to allign with the mounting on the side (glad that i didn't tighten, if not, i've to loosen it again and re-tighten), but when i tighten the torx bolt (on step 6), everything seem tighten and it didn't even jiggle anymore. So, i just leave it that way.
My theory is that it act like a small play to compensate with the expand or contract of the bar during hot and cold (kinda like the railroad and the bridge concept) and also the amount of weight you put on top so you got some play in there?

FWIF, i could be wrong. I may tighten it up if any member have better theory then this? Am i wrong?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Here'a a link to the cross bar installation instructions. The instructions state to tighten the torx bolts to 7 foot-pounds.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the same question when I installed mine. That "jiggle" will disappear when the bars are installed. At least mine did.

·
Registered
106 Posts
sfhondapilot said:
Here'a a link to the cross bar installation instructions. The instructions state to tighten the torx bolts to 7 foot-pounds.
Yes, that is understood, that you HAVE to tighten that torx to 7 foot-pounds, as i had mention on Step 6 above. But i guess the earlier post was refering to the bolt below the cross-bar, not on the Step 6.
Correct me if i'm wrong "elduderino".

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sfhondapilot said:

I've read the instructions and it looked to me that item 6 was referring to the bolts that attach the cross bars to the side rails. I'm referring to the bolts that are located underneath the cross bars that attach the end-pieces to the cross bar.

·
Registered
47 Posts
elduderino said:
I've read the instructions and it looked to me that item 6 was referring to the bolts that attach the cross bars to the side rails. I'm referring to the bolts that are located underneath the cross bars that attach the end-pieces to the cross bar.
Yes, I notice that it jiggles a little bit but I left them like that and when I tighten the crossbars to the rails then I can hold the crossbars and wiggle it and it won't even budge. I think they purposely left it loose so that there is some room for adjustments when placing the bars on the holders and it may be also for when you place loads on the crossbars it has room to bend a little and hold the weight. Just my 2 cents

1 - 8 of 8 Posts