Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've got a 2004 Honda Pilot EX-L. Hit a deer recently, and I'm trying to fix the damage. After getting the grille, radiator, condensor, and fans out, I noticed that the alternator's 4P connector was sticking out a little, and that it felt like it wasn't really latched properly. After getting it disconnected, it turned out that it's the alternator's side that's loose. It seems like the part of it that's fastened to the rest of the alternator is cracked.

Is that anything to be concerned about?

After hitting the deer, I did make it to a house, and didn't notice the alternator light being on. So thus far, it doesn't seem like there's an open circuit or short.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I guess the concern would be if moisture ever got in to it and did short it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the concern would be if moisture ever got in to it and did short it out.
The crack is on the back side of the plug, away from the fan and radiator. My concern is more what the plug goes to within the alternator.

Alternator Rebuilt Kit; Voltage Regulator, Bearings, Brushes for 2001-2002 MDX, 2003-2004 Pilot, 2002-2004 Odyssey (104210-3090, -3091, -3092) - 13918RK shows that that plug is part of the voltage regulator, which would mean that my voltage regulator is cracked. I think I'd better repair it rather than risk something inside fatiguing and breaking.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
The crack is on the back side of the plug, away from the fan and radiator. My concern is more what the plug goes to within the alternator.

Alternator Rebuilt Kit; Voltage Regulator, Bearings, Brushes for 2001-2002 MDX, 2003-2004 Pilot, 2002-2004 Odyssey (104210-3090, -3091, -3092) - 13918RK shows that that plug is part of the voltage regulator, which would mean that my voltage regulator is cracked. I think I'd better repair it rather than risk something inside fatiguing and breaking.
Sounds like a plan.
Should be able to buy just the one piece you need.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
Yup, fix it and sleep easy. All told, it's not that expensive for a little peace of mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replacing the voltage regulator turns out to be easier said than done. The brushes are easily replaceable, but the rectifier and voltage regulator are not. One can buy a regulator, a Transpo IN6004, for about $15, but putting it in appears to involve soldering.

Since I don't remember the battery light coming on, I've repaired the badly fractured voltage regulator with epoxy, and then did it again with fiberglass embedded in the epoxy. Now I'll see if it works properly before trying to replace the voltage regulator or the entire alternator.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Replacing the voltage regulator turns out to be easier said than done. The brushes are easily replaceable, but the rectifier and voltage regulator are not. One can buy a regulator, a Transpo IN6004, for about $15, but putting it in appears to involve soldering.

Since I don't remember the battery light coming on, I've repaired the badly fractured voltage regulator with epoxy, and then did it again with fiberglass embedded in the epoxy. Now I'll see if it works properly before trying to replace the voltage regulator or the entire alternator.
That sounds like a good plan.
Looks like more can go wrong than right. Guess that why we replace alternators instead of rebuilding them.
Maybe I'll try this fix someday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That plan worked. The epoxy and fiberglass made it rigid again. Had to whittle away some of the epoxy close to the socket so that the plug fit on all the way, but it worked.

It was badly fractured in multiple places. It seems like a miracle that the voltage regulator still works.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
Glad you got it fixed, and glad I beat @Nail Grease to bestowing upon you the Piloteers happy banana dance when one of us succeeds in a fix.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
That epoxy saves lots of $.
Nice fix!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts